Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
My comment before and will state again we are all Lexus owners here to learn, share ideas, thoughts and answer members questions.
Many of us on CL joined when we were Lexus owners, and simply liked the forum (or were asked to stay by others on the forum), when we no longer owned Lexus products. That's one reason why Car Chat is such a big sub-forum, with so many posts.....you've got a lot of both Lexus-owners and non-Lexus owners all chiming in (or potentially chiming in) at once.
Old 11-02-20, 07:12 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

No matter how negative the comments are, we all just want Lexus to step up its game. Sure there can be what I perceive to be friendly bantering around here, we are all just having fun at the expense of each other or Lexus. Lexus definitely deserves flak for its "new"est IS, for example but no one is getting mad at each other.
Old 11-02-20, 07:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's the heading at the top of the page explaining what Car Chat is:

Car ChatGeneral discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 11-02-20, 08:00 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Drink some tea and chill out. You can call people out if they go to the RX forum to bash it. This is a general car chat, opinions are expected to be varied. At the end of the day, we are all rooting for Lexus.
Old 11-02-20, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,660 Posts

winsalem (and Freds430) - sorry you guys feel this way. couple of points.

1) in THIS sub-forum, Car Chat, all brands and models past present and future are obviously vigorously debated, and as long as it's not personal, political, or over the top in some other way, it's generally ok. if it's not for you, then you don't have to read/post.
2) moderators are volunteers. if you would like to step up to be a moderator, that would be GREAT and you would be honestly considered. as volunteers (and even professionals) we're not perfect, but with the team we have we do catch a lot of stuff that's deleted before you even notice.
3) generally the lexus model-specific sub-forums (rx, es, ls, etc.) will provide a less combative and more supportive discussion to those respective models. are there strong debates there too? yes.
4) "grammar *****" are generally not welcome as it's petty. i for instance gave up on upper/lower case years ago as i don't think it adds value and wastes my time. when i post on my ipad though it does capitalize start of sentences so generally you'll know if i'm posting from that device.
5) winsalem does make a good point that people should label what is clearly OPINION as such, and not state as facts.
6) while point 1 says Car Chat is about all brands, that does not mean it should tolerate a 'bash fest' on Lexus, which this site is based upon. threads are often closed and posts deleted when they start or progress to that. most on here have owned or own a lexus, respect what has been accomplished and hope the best for Lexus going forward. i know i do!
Old 11-02-20, 08:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by babaijebu
At the end of the day, we are all rooting for Lexus.
Some of us are neutral. I used to own a Lexus, but I sold it 5 years ago. I stayed on Car Chat because of the general automotive discussion topics. I would not say I "root" for Lexus. I'm indifferent; I would say there are plenty of people on Car Chat that feel the same; but there are also still plenty of current Lexus and Toyota owners that do inherently care about the brand.
Old 11-02-20, 08:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Okay about the grammar etc this is really pushing it.

I am a writer with published online automotive content; I majored in English in college. I’m worthless, beyond worthless in math etc but I can type up an A+ paper on basically anything in 5 minutes.

I messed up my back and don’t use my laptop
anymore for these forums and I’ve noticed that the mobile phone app or whatever posts mistakes even when you don’t make them when typing. I don’t lose sleep over it.

Even if I didn’t own a Lexus I would never leave
these forums.

Last edited by AJT123; 11-03-20 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 09:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,628 Likes on 1,039 Posts

These days I tend to spend more time on model specific forums, as they tend to be less heated, but I still enjoy Car Chat. I do think it gets a bit negative on here toward Toyota and Lexus, but it's not all undeserved. I think many are just disappointed in the direction Lexus seems to be moving and the frustrations come out on here.

I still love Toyota and Lexus, but can't hide my disappointment with what Lexus seems to be doing lately. I would have been happy continuing with Lexus ownership but the reality is that when I am ready to move on from my current GS, there won't be anything that Lexus offers to a buyer like me, who wants a mid-size luxury/sporty sedan. If that's the direction Lexus feels they want to go, then so be it, as that's their right to move in any direction they see fit, but it's disappointing to me nonetheless.

There is a lot of great information on Car Chat so I enjoy it for the most part. There are a few posters who I personally feel only post negatively, so I just ignore those as it grows tiresome, but that's their right to express their views. If I find it inappropriate and against CL forum rules, I just flag it for the moderators.
Old 11-02-20, 10:39 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you missed the GSF? worth checking that out. has a GS400 in the old days and I love the F...But they are being discontinued. Mercedes all their sedans look the same but they are nice.
Most people I know the love affair only last with germans till the warranty is there.
Originally Posted by sivikvtec
The only mainstream luxury brand who hasn’t sold out is Mercedes.

BMW got ugly/soft and Lexus is following the Acura/Infiniti business model.

I bought my 99 GS400 in 2009 when I was poor. I traded it in on my 13 GS350 in 2015 when I started making money. Now, finally I can afford to buy a new one aaaaaand poof, gone, Lexus doesn’t have any sedans worth buying.
Old 11-02-20, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
The only mainstream luxury brand who hasn’t sold out is Mercedes.
Mercedes actually has more FWD sedans than Lexus does

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-02-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 10:43 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

I agree with the OP on some points and disagree on others. Certainly there could be a lighter air in CL; sometimes posters take themselves and their opinions too seriously. After all, we are all ordinary people sharing information and opinions, I hope. Regarding prefacing comments with statements such as "IMO," "I feel," or, "for me," (I feel) it's superfluous! Unless we are citing a source, or quoting statistics, we are all simply expressing our opinions, so why do we need to keep identifying them as such? In other words, it should go without saying.

One thing that specifically bothers me is when people take offense to one of my opinions, and respond as if I put them down. Who cares? Each person is entitled to an opinion, or an contrary opinion. Posters should simply move on without getting flustered, or, respond with evidence that backs up their own opinion. We can only work toward the truth when concepts are supported or challenged (while checking one's angst at the door).

All public forums have issues; it's the nature of the beast. When people are posting anonymously like this, they don't tend to exhibit the manners they would in face-to-face conversations, or in correspondence with friends and family. Perhaps they should. Generally, I find CL entertaining and informative. If we could also make it more fun, we would have a trifecta!
Old 11-02-20, 10:55 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motorola
I don't know all the facts winsalem, but seeing as you own an RX and presented a very specific and uncommon scenario, it sounds like you got in an argument with someone about your car and took it personally as an attack on your identity, and are now projecting that person you argued with onto the whole board. That's not very fair to most of the members on this board, and if you have a deep grudge against someone, it's better to just PM them instead of airing the dirty laundry.
+1, many Lexus owners aren't the same type of enthusiasts that peruse Car Chat, so they take criticisms of the brand the wrong way. Even some Lexus enthusiasts were jilted by the Bloomberg article late last year about Lexus losing US marketshare to BMW and Mercedes, while worldwide they actually grew in other markets such as China. The average Lexus owner may not care nor realize those things if they see tons of ES and RXs in their local sphere, but a lot of the old timers and enthusiasts, know that Lexus isn't the same company as it was when they first joined CL.
Old 11-02-20, 10:55 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I was going to type something then decided against it - this is a reflection of our current society as a whole, absolutely.

Some people will only be happy when this becomes a Tesla-esque fanboy "Toyota can do no wrong" vibe
Some people view this as a genuine conversational platform to talk about the other brands not mentioned in the model-specific subforums.

Just because someone states "Lexus doesn't do XXX, because of that I won't buy it" doesn't mean it is bashing.
Someone stating "Mercedes does better in YYY" doesn't mean Lexus sucks
Old 11-02-20, 10:56 AM
Teeth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I'm joining CL at the wrong time, but even now, it's far more civilized and informative than any FB group that I've joined. Hopefully, it doesn't keep doing downhill. I've always looked to forums for help and contribute when I can.
Old 11-02-20, 11:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Teeth
I guess I'm joining CL at the wrong time, but even now, it's far more civilized and informative than any FB group that I've joined. Hopefully, it doesn't keep doing downhill. I've always looked to forums for help and contribute when I can.
The Facebook groups are beyond outrageous. Beyond.

Welcome to CL!

Quick Reply: I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked