Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 01:15 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Crown and the Century are not really the same thing, I appreciate what the Century is but they're ugly IMO.
both century and crown would sell so poorly here, even if there weren't an SUV craze.

they just don't suit american tastes.
Old 11-04-20, 06:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'ever' is a long time. never say never, or ever.
Yes, Mr. Bond.
Old 11-04-20, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe SW17LS is goldfinger
My cover is blown! lol
Old 11-04-20, 09:22 AM
forevercar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One has to remember Lexus is not a stand-alone brand. It is subject to oversight by Toyota. As long as Toyota is making money on Lexus with minimal effort from Toyota all is good. But as soon as there is a fight for market share or sales plummet, the R&D dollars (Yen) start to dry up. Thus you see old models lasting longer, no new innovation in the pipeline and stale products. Is this is what's happening here??
Old 11-04-20, 09:57 AM
dinnerzone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the reality we're facing here is Lexus' fall from grace, which isn't entirely a bad thing. Everyone has their prime, everyone has their end. Someone new will uphold the "mantle of responsibility" in breaking the new status-quo. There's already a few automakers like Kia and Hyundai doing just that,(thinking about the Genesis line) and I'm rooting for them, just like I was rooting for Lexus in the late 90s early 00s.

Now despite this, it shouldn't take away from what was. A lot of us here drive either the LS, GS, or IS. There's some SC drivers here too. These are the cars we think of when we think of Lexus excellence, and it would be foolish to think they're perfect/infallible. I've always seen this place as somewhere to reference work on those classics, those older cars that we defiantly choose to keep over newer models, for some of us at least.

I definitely feel a sense of gate-keeping here that really should not exist. This is a pretty big website and there's plenty of room for owners old and new alike. Just take a step back and focus on what matters to you. Enrich your personal circle.

Just another personal note: Calling a Lexus a fancy toyota isn't a bad thing to me at least. Toyota has always been a mainstay of reliability and comfort. They have good general designs and have always made themselves as user-serviceable as possible. If my Lexus is just a Toyota with "fancy parts", that seems like a plus to me.

Last edited by dinnerzone; 11-04-20 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammar, more thoughts
The following users liked this post:
Stumper (11-08-20)
Old 11-04-20, 11:05 AM
JimBBB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well Lexus is in some serious trouble from enthusiast's point of view so it's an easy target to pick. I mean I do it all the time because I really have a hard time witnessing Acurasation of L brand by Toyota management. These are the hard times for Japanese premium brands, Infiniti is on the back burner and withdrawing from many markets across the world, Lexus is dropping RWD roster altogether, has no intentions to join turbo game and just waits until market shifts while mass producing mediocre FWD CUVs in the meantime. Acura is trying hard to turn around but it's a long way to the surface from the rabbit hole they've been in last 20 years or so. God I hope they don't settle down as Nissan+ and Toyota+ brands like Acura did and now not even state of the art NSX can help it to rebuild the brand.
I have been disappointed with my LS 460L in some ways. I have found that Lexus has used poor quality materials in the B-Pillar interior Trim. It frays very easily and every frew years rips and tears. The Lower B-Pillar interior trip part was $400 alone. The problem is coupled with poor entry design as it is virtually impossible to get in or out of your car without your body rubbing against the B-Pillar Interior Trim. Other Lexus owners in this Forum have shown pictures of this happening with their vehicles not necessarily an LS.

I have had my clock stop accepting adjustments to the time whether from GPS or Manual Entries. I suggested to the Dealer that we try rebooting the computer system (disconnect battery/reconnect battery). We didn't do that because we found a Technical Service Bulletin which described much of the same problem (and it also showed Lexus didn't know how the Daylight Savings Adjustment worked) and its remedy was to replace the Clock Assembly to the tune of $600 for the Clock Assembly Part alone. I didn't do it and later in another regular service visit the Battery was disconnected/reconnected and the problem went away. When that happened i called Lexus Corporate Customer Service and gave them Hell for their Corporate Service People not knowing how computer systems worked and/or deliberately trying to rip off the customers by making them pay (out of warranty) for a part which was functioning perfectly well. The only problem was apparently the firmware had become corrupted and required a Re-Boot.

I also repeatedly have many glitches in the Lexus Firmware. Sometimes though not often the Firmware will get out of sync with the operations and you have to start all over such as shutting off the ignition and restarting the car.

So I don't see a well working product in Lexus.

I do have to say though that I am pleased with the amount of metal they put into the car. The car is nice and solid and I fell I have some metal around me to protect me in crashes.
Old 11-04-20, 11:06 AM
MrFuso
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just want to say that the Lexus RC F (and us GS F guys/gals are there too) FB group is a class act. Don't know about other Lexus FB groups, but that one is good. So, if there are any people with a RC F or GS F make sure to check it out.
Old 11-04-20, 11:28 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is it. A lot of us old-timers remember the status quo-busting Lexus and long for its return. We've been subjected to the "Lexus is just a fancy Toyota" for years when it wasn't true in the slightest. Unfortunately, they are slowly but surely living down to that moniker. Of any company, Toyota has the resources to maintain Lexus as a Tier 1 Luxury brand to compete with the Germans. But they don't seem to want that anymore, and that leads to a lot of frustration from enthusiasts who remember how compelling Lexus could be if it really wanted to.

Lexus was always the best of the Japanese Luxury brands, and a true threat to the European brands. Over time they've become less and less of that, instead slowly trending towards the easier (and wrong) path that Acura and Infiniti have taken.

That said, have to give credit where it's due. The LC is a spectacular entry into the GT arena, and a worthy competitor to the 8-series and departing S-class coupe. We need more of that.
I agree! Prior to owning a Lexus, I was a Honda & then Acura fanboy. I was extremely pleased with Acura in general, but one day, when I had to have my TL transmission replaced for the second time under warranty, they gave me a new TLX to drive. It was beyond horrible. It was mushy, had confusing controls & above all, gone was the wonderful, tight & sporty steering that Honda/Acura was known for. If I so much as sneezed, I was in another lane. That was not my idea of Acura “advancing” as they used to advertise. I went back a few more times for warranty work & received more of the same crap-filled, slushy vehicles that I hated. After the 3rd transmission, I was completely done with the brand. I still miss that wonderful V-6, tight steering & sporty suspension, but I’m not looking back. Acura & in a small part Honda, lost their brand identity & their quality went way down. I’m noticing the same things now at Lexus.

The decline is much more gradual with Toyota/Lexus, but it’s happening across the board. There are many more quality issues & continued poor fuel mileage on many models, but the most disturbing part is Lexus’s inability or refusal to keep up with logical tech progression. They refuse to make their infotainment systems user friendly & on some models, it’s just a downright ripoff.

Where is this brand & other like it going? As loyal enthusiasts & customers, we wonder why these behemoth automakers have stopped listening to their customers. I used to be a part of the Lexus Advisory Board. I never asked to stop providing input, as I enjoyed learning about new ideas. Suddenly, without any warning or notifications, I stopped getting surveys. This forum is a great place to hear other folks complaints & praises about a multitude of vehicles, especially ones we don’t own, but may be interested in. My personal opinion is, if we don’t like a particular post or topic, KEEP SCROLLING! If you don’t have anything constructive one way or the other to add to the conversation, then stay out of it. No harm, no foul & no one gets butthurt. I resent being censored, but I realize that topics are chosen for a reason & if I go off on a tangent, I deserve my post to be removed. That’s the rules & we all agreed to them when we joined. Just be mindful that not all posts and/or topics are worth interjecting our two cents into.

Last edited by gadgetman1; 11-04-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-04-20, 11:33 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by dinnerzone
Just another personal note: Calling a Lexus a fancy toyota isn't a bad thing to me at least. Toyota has always been a mainstay of reliability and comfort. They have good general designs and have always made themselves as user-serviceable as possible. If my Lexus is just a Toyota with "fancy parts", that seems like a plus to me.
Without additional context, this is absolutely true. It's great to have cars in existence that take high-quality base models and add premium flourishes to them.

The trouble comes when that logic is applied to an entire full-line brand playing in the luxury space, because then you get Acura. Those of us who love Lexus (which is most of us), don't want Lexus to become the Toyota flavor of Acura. It was eons away from that in the past, but we see it inching ever-closer.
Old 11-04-20, 11:34 AM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a member of countless forums and I learned to wade through the bulls#!t posts yrs ago. I value & respect all members and I joined each & every forum to both learn from & help those with their problems. I see them looking for fights, smarta$$ comments and some grammar the all mighty Lord can't possibly understand but in the end the majority of us come to these forums and we learn something or tried to help those in need and that's all that really matters. They never stop us from doing that at all!
Not one forum I've ever been on is short on these smarta$$ disrespectful "members", sorry thats just a part of the internet world so we must learn to live with them all.
I've dealt with them over 20yrs and I learned ignoring their presence is always best.
I see them like an idiot with a stick poking monkeys in a cage out of pure boredom.
I assure you he'll quickly move on to the next cage if the smarter monkeys pay no attention to him and continue playing with all the other smarter monkeys in our cage as if the idiot wasn't even there...lol

Old 11-04-20, 01:37 PM
apaper
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thoughtful and well stated response, MMARSHALL.

Much Respect,

-Adam
Old 11-04-20, 01:56 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd also give Lexus credit for coming up with what is arguably the best fake-leather material ever devised....NuLuxe.
The residents of the State of Florida completely agree. Luv the texture, feel and durability of their man-made leather. It rocks.
Old 11-04-20, 02:43 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

CL is like life. You filter out what is for you and what is not. You stand up for what you believe, and you share what you know with others. Get into the weeds, and you will be stuck in there. Complain and some ears might listen. Listen, and you will appreciate the dynamic of human interactions unless you are in a bad mood; then everything on earth is hell all over.
Old 11-04-20, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
CL is like life. You filter out what is for you and what is not. You stand up for what you believe, and you share what you know with others. Get into the weeds, and you will be stuck in there. Complain and some ears might listen. Listen, and you will appreciate the dynamic of human interactions unless you are in a bad mood; then everything on earth is hell all over.
Great post.

Forums can also be therapeutic. Especially for big writers and people who love to have conversations, like myself. Yes I start rambling sometimes but just typing away, interacting does provide a sort of “zen” or whatever it is. It’s a nice part of my day. I hate that my cell phone destroys my posts and am sorry if it’s annoying to read. Never used my phone before until recently.

We also all know A LOT about cars here. Not just Lexus.

Old 11-04-20, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,954 Posts

I don’t think your posts are hard to read at all...

Quick Reply: I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked