Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 10:39 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked

Thank you for removing some posts; I actually hope you step up the process, because I think this web discussion group is slowly being hijacked.

Over the last few years I have been losing faith in ClubLexus, often feeling uncomfortable at the snide tone, immature attitude and lack of objectivity of a small but growing number of posters. They don't preface their statements with "I think.." or "In my opinion..". Instead, their declarations ("The new styling is ugly..") and assumptions ("...the only people who drive an RX are ...") sound just like immature high school sports rivalries. Or worse, like some of the grown men and women down here in the South who still squabble about Ford vs Chevy.

These pirates sure are taking the fun out of being a member of a cool discussion group where calm, regular people should be able to share info and opinions -- and want to do so with the same class and courtesy that the Lexus trademark implies.

Finally, this is the one place where we shouldn't hafta worry that our typos, spelling or grammar will be thrown back in our faces or used as ammo to bolster some pathetic squabble. Relax yawl, have some fun, enjoy and respect the collective wisdom and knowledge and curiosity that can be found in these terrific forums (oops, I guess somebody will argue that I should have typed 'fora').

And if you do have an axe to grind, just take the time to be objective and make sure your post is clearly labeled as your opinion and not a challenge to other members' ideas, thoughts or to the Lexus model they drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by winsalem:
dwoods801 (09-07-21), IS300AWD16 (02-01-21)
Old 11-01-20, 11:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It can be very anti-Lexus. It is very unfortunate.
The following users liked this post:
IS300AWD16 (02-01-21)
Old 11-01-20, 12:11 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

this new thread is stupid and pointless... the only people who'd start a thread like this live in the carolinas...

ok lol but on a serious note i think many people feel that there's a lack of class and courtesy from toyota/lexus who has fallen way behind the competition in many key areas, and who seemingly has no interest in pleasing us enthusiasts that want to see lexus once again relentlessly pursue perfection

and i really can't say i've noticed an abundance of grammar-nazism here, but if bad spelling or grammar prevents an idea from being effectively and clearly communicated then it absolutely should be called out
Stumper (11-08-20)
Old 11-01-20, 03:04 PM
endlesss
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the alternative is facebook groups, which are cancer. So I would suggest you checkout the Lexus facebook groups and then report back as to whether this is really that bad..
BMeek (11-09-20)
Old 11-01-20, 03:12 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Lexus is in some serious trouble from enthusiast's point of view so it's an easy target to pick. I mean I do it all the time because I really have a hard time witnessing Acurasation of L brand by Toyota management. These are the hard times for Japanese premium brands, Infiniti is on the back burner and withdrawing from many markets across the world, Lexus is dropping RWD roster altogether, has no intentions to join turbo game and just waits until market shifts while mass producing mediocre FWD CUVs in the meantime. Acura is trying hard to turn around but it's a long way to the surface from the rabbit hole they've been in last 20 years or so. God I hope they don't settle down as Nissan+ and Toyota+ brands like Acura did and now not even state of the art NSX can help it to rebuild the brand.
Old 11-01-20, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
Thank you for removing some posts; I actually hope you step up the process, because I think this web discussion group is slowly being hijacked.
I understand what you are saying, but, at the same time, everyone has an equal chance, at their computers or cell-phones, to post their opinions/statements/questions...there is nothing about this forum that makes it restricted to a certain clique. Except for some Moderator/Administrator privileges, which allow them to access and perform certain functions which the average poster can't (and are within CL guidelines), the CL data-base does not pick and choose which persons it will allow on board at any given moment. If you, for example, just love the design of the latest crossover from JoeBlow Motors, or think it is the ugliest thing since the Pontiac Aztek, you are free to post your opinions and views anytime, in any thread, unless the moderators have closed it or, for whatever reason, have asked someone to leave the thread, which occasionally happens if they keep breaking the rules.

Over the last few years I have been losing faith in ClubLexus, often feeling uncomfortable at the snide tone, immature attitude and lack of objectivity of a small but growing number of posters.
I don't entirely disagree...I have noticed some of that myself. But this is also a forum of enthusiasts with well-ingrained views/conceptions/opinions/desires, and some people do tend to have strong opinions.

But I have also noticed, in my own lifetime, that nothing automotive is necessarily cast in stone, and issues that may elate (or enrage) you at one time (like Ford and GM dropping most of their sedans) tend to fade with time. For instance, I'm not as angry about it now as I was two years ago (and during the long, bitter GM/UAW strike that followed)..and have even decided to get one of GM's crossovers for myself.

They don't preface their statements with "I think.." or "In my opinion..". Instead, their declarations ("The new styling is ugly..") and assumptions ("...the only people who drive an RX are ...") sound just like immature high school sports rivalries.
To a large extent, the "IMO" part is a given (or at least an assumption)....it does not necessarily have to be repeated with every sentence.

Or worse, like some of the grown men and women down here in the South who still squabble about Ford vs Chevy.
With all due respect, though, consider, that you yourself have also just stated a stereotype.

Finally, this is the one place where we shouldn't hafta worry that our typos, spelling or grammar will be thrown back in our faces or used as ammo to bolster some pathetic squabble. Relax yawl, have some fun, enjoy and respect the collective wisdom and knowledge and curiosity that can be found in these terrific forums (oops, I guess somebody will argue that I should have typed 'fora').
For much of that, one can probably blame the Microsoft/Apple-Safari spell-checks. They drive me crazy sometimes. They think that they know what you are trying to say before you even finish typing the keys.....and change the word to with it thinks you want to say, not what you are actually trying to say. And, unless you hit the tiny little 'X" in the spell-check and correct it, it will actually post something else. Aggravating.

And if you do have an axe to grind, just take the time to be objective and make sure your post is clearly labeled as your opinion and not a challenge to other members' ideas, thoughts or to the Lexus model they drive.
A couple of terms that I myself often use wth my posts are "As I see it", or "In my book".
Old 11-01-20, 03:46 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well Lexus is in some serious trouble from enthusiast's point of view so it's an easy target to pick. I mean I do it all the time because I really have a hard time witnessing Acurasation of L brand by Toyota management. These are the hard times for Japanese premium brands, Infiniti is on the back burner and withdrawing from many markets across the world, Lexus is dropping RWD roster altogether, has no intentions to join turbo game and just waits until market shifts while mass producing mediocre FWD CUVs in the meantime. Acura is trying hard to turn around but it's a long way to the surface from the rabbit hole they've been in last 20 years or so. God I hope they don't settle down as Nissan+ and Toyota+ brands like Acura did and now not even state of the art NSX can help it to rebuild the brand.
This is it. A lot of us old-timers remember the status quo-busting Lexus and long for its return. We've been subjected to the "Lexus is just a fancy Toyota" for years when it wasn't true in the slightest. Unfortunately, they are slowly but surely living down to that moniker. Of any company, Toyota has the resources to maintain Lexus as a Tier 1 Luxury brand to compete with the Germans. But they don't seem to want that anymore, and that leads to a lot of frustration from enthusiasts who remember how compelling Lexus could be if it really wanted to.

Lexus was always the best of the Japanese Luxury brands, and a true threat to the European brands. Over time they've become less and less of that, instead slowly trending towards the easier (and wrong) path that Acura and Infiniti have taken.

That said, have to give credit where it's due. The LC is a spectacular entry into the GT arena, and a worthy competitor to the 8-series and departing S-class coupe. We need more of that.

Last edited by geko29; 11-01-20 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 04:13 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know all the facts winsalem, but seeing as you own an RX and presented a very specific and uncommon scenario, it sounds like you got in an argument with someone about your car and took it personally as an attack on your identity, and are now projecting that person you argued with onto the whole board. That's not very fair to most of the members on this board, and if you have a deep grudge against someone, it's better to just PM them instead of airing the dirty laundry.

Last edited by Motorola; 11-01-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
That said, have to give credit where it's due. The LC is a spectacular entry into the GT arena, and a worthy competitor to the 8-series and departing S-class coupe. We need more of that.
I'd also give Lexus credit for coming up with what is arguably the best fake-leather material ever devised....NuLuxe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-01-20 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 09:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I've been a part of this forum for ages, as well as dozens of others. I do not see anything out of the ordinary here. All the things the OP listed are normal and appear in other car brand groups. It is the nature of chatboards and the internet. Expecting respect and order from online masses will never ever happen.

Old 11-01-20, 09:32 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only mainstream luxury brand who hasn’t sold out is Mercedes.

BMW got ugly/soft and Lexus is following the Acura/Infiniti business model.

I bought my 99 GS400 in 2009 when I was poor. I traded it in on my 13 GS350 in 2015 when I started making money. Now, finally I can afford to buy a new one aaaaaand poof, gone, Lexus doesn’t have any sedans worth buying.
Old 11-01-20, 11:10 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
The only mainstream luxury brand who hasn’t sold out is Mercedes.

BMW got ugly/soft and Lexus is following the Acura/Infiniti business model.

I bought my 99 GS400 in 2009 when I was poor. I traded it in on my 13 GS350 in 2015 when I started making money. Now, finally I can afford to buy a new one aaaaaand poof, gone, Lexus doesn’t have any sedans worth buying.
I beg to differ to a certain extent, they also have their fair share of downmarket models. However, they have a nice balance between the entry level models and quite a few aspirational models. I’d say that Porsche has been more successful at not selling out.
Old 11-02-20, 12:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Nonsense thread.

CL is a lively and fun forum—I’ve been on lots over the years and none come close to this. Problems are promptly dealt with. There is a sense of unity. And there is TONS of information to be learned.
Old 11-02-20, 04:10 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,147 Likes on 742 Posts

Over the last few years I have been losing faith in ClubLexus, often feeling uncomfortable at the snide tone, immature attitude and lack of objectivity of a small but growing number of posters. They don't preface their statements with "I think.." or "In my opinion..". Instead, their declarations ("The new styling is ugly..") and assumptions ("...the only people who drive an RX are ...") sound just like immature high school sports rivalries. Or worse, like some of the grown men and women down here in the South who still squabble about Ford vs Chevy.

These pirates sure are taking the fun out of being a member of a cool discussion group where calm, regular people should be able to share info and opinions -- and want to do so with the same class and courtesy that the Lexus trademark implies.

Absolutely spot on. Thanks for posting but will go on deaf ears. I have posted similar comments in the past. I really am not sure what the moderators do. There is a group that's mission is to tell members they are dead wrong even when expressing their opinion. We now live in a world of cyber-bullying. My comment before and will state again we are all Lexus owners here to learn, share ideas, thoughts and answer members questions. I have learned so much from other members. It is a shame the moderators don't moderate. It is just a few and they could control this very easily. What is hilarious about the moderators is what they choose to comment on. Have read some of the most mean and vile comments that receive no comment from them yet I got reprimanded for posting the same 100% factual comment weeks apart in different threads. I only have to assume they are under the impression we have no new members and every member reads every thread.

Your comment about grammar remined me of one of the most classless post when a member commented about a post with no commas or periods. I and everyone else but this one bully understood the members post without commas but they just had to comment about it in a very ugly and mean way. Again the moderators were crickets.

Great post and thanks for it. Hope it does not again go on deaf ears.

Last edited by Freds430; 11-02-20 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-02-20, 05:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it just mirrors society as a whole

Quick Reply: I believe Club Lexus is slowly being hijacked