Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Thread-closing alert

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Thread-closing alert

Several times, I've noticed that I will start to type out comments to a thread while it is still open (with no indication that the thread is about to be closed), Dave or a moderator will close the thread while I (or someone else) may still be typing. Then, of course, when we try to enter the response, the message comes up that the thread is now closed. IMO, that can be annoying if one has typed out a long response, or has put a lot of time and effort into a response, only for it to end up being a waste of time. Is it possible to modify the CL data base to alert someone who is typing (or preparing) a thread-response that the thread is being closed while he or she is still typing, so that they don't continue to waste time typing and attempting to post for nothing?

If it cannot be done (or too difficult/unfeasible), so be it, but I think that, of possible, it would be a nice courtesy for posters.

Thanks

MM
Old 11-14-20, 08:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Sorry no way to do that. In this case I suspect you were editing a recent post (for three minutes between your posting and my closing) rather than posting a new reply, so I suggest in those situations you could use the 'preview post' feature to proofread what it looks like so you could get those last edits in the off chance the thread might be locked.

Generally speaking, the thread closure is for a good reason and we don't want those added comments to be there because of rules violations (back-and-forth personal attacks, solicitation, etc.) or sometimes as in this case off topic wandering.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-14-20 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-14-20, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry no way to do that. In this case I suspect you were editing a recent post (for three minutes between your posting and my closing) rather than posting a new reply, so I suggest in those cases you could use the 'preview post' feature to proofread so you could get those last edits in in the chance the thread might be locked.

No...the last time I attempted, it was a new reply. But, if there's no practical way to do it, Hey, that's life. Doesn't really happen that often anyway. I've been wth CL since 2003, and maybe 5 or 6 times.

MM