Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Are private messages REALLY private?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 07:14 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are private messages REALLY private?

Do moderators have the capability of sneeking in on what you THINK, is something private that your sending someone? I believe they do. Oh well....
Old 10-07-03, 07:16 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What makes you say that....interesting question however....
Old 10-07-03, 07:23 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

they can read it if they want depending on the powers given to them hey its the internet... nothings private
Old 10-07-03, 07:27 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

I just thought everyone should have the right to know. A certain moderator(No, I'm not going to mention his name. ) told me that they have COMPLETE access to ALL private messages on Club Lexus. Kind of a bummer, but, I fully understand why.
Old 10-07-03, 11:32 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Methodical
I just thought everyone should have the right to know. A certain moderator(No, I'm not going to mention his name. ) told me that they have COMPLETE access to ALL private messages on Club Lexus. Kind of a bummer, but, I fully understand why.
I really don't care. It's not like i'm going to be sending a love letter or a picture of me being butt-naked to another member is this forum.
Old 10-07-03, 11:46 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Administrator has access to everyone's PMs. Probably super moderators too. Kind of defeats the privacy factor huh?
Old 10-08-03, 01:24 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey the admin has passwords to every single member on CL. The PW might be the same for you for alot of things. I don't think the forum moderators have the power to read PMs. Maybe only admins, not even S.Mods (just IMO)

but hey if you're not planning on overthrowing ClubLexus by planning conspiracies with other members, why worry
Old 10-08-03, 05:47 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My take on this has a little bit of an attitude!
First, this is a ClubLexus Forums, by all mean, the poeple who run it will have ALL the access rights to your accounts, pictures, PM's. Why? Because they can!
Second, You have something to say that you don't want to post it in the public forums, use PM. Use common sense, rememeber that thing? Common Sense it is! If you need privacy, use your own email account, the same one you send your **** to your lover, and receive tons of spam emails But asking for privacy on this forum is a joke!
Third, You will be nuts to believe that if anything is private and secretive on this day and age in a Society that is internet driven.

Question: What is ClubLexus' Privacy Policies??? If it has one!
Old 10-08-03, 06:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Guys if there is a way to access private messages through vbulletin I certainly don't know about it. I've never read anyones private messages and when they're posted by members in threads during a dispute I try to lock them down. This is both as administrator and as super moderator.

Click Here for a link to ClubLexus' Privacy Policy. If you note it is also a link at the bottom of every page on CL. Privacy is very important to us.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-08-03 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 06:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
hey the admin has passwords to every single member on CL. The PW might be the same for you for alot of things. I don't think the forum moderators have the power to read PMs. Maybe only admins, not even S.Mods (just IMO)

but hey if you're not planning on overthrowing ClubLexus by planning conspiracies with other members, why worry
Also I think members should know that administrators and moderators do NOT have access to member passwords. Admins (not moderators) can change or reset the member's password and resend it to them, but we cannot view what the details of the password is.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-08-03 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 06:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Methodical
I very seriously doubt that a 'certain moderator' told you anything of the sort. I suspect you're asking this question because you want to know the answer for personal reasons. Please don't make stuff like this up, all the cloak and dagger mystery you intimate is misleading for our members on how we do business .

We're very open about our rules on ClubLexus and how we enforce them (selling items on our forum as a non-approved CL vendor, for example ) as I'm sure you are aware during your three months on our forum. We will remove access for members who are warned and repeatedly break the rules. If (hypothetically) a member who was warned about selling wheels as a non-approved vendor in our classifieds then tried to sell them via unsolicited PM and we were alerted by another member forwarding those PMs, the vendor would be banned from the forum.

Regardless of why you're asking, it is a valid question that our members should have an answer to.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-08-03 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 07:02 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

"but hey if you're not planning on overthrowing ClubLexus by planning conspiracies with other members, why worry?"

That's funny. I am aware that this is the internet and that nothing is sacred here. I'm just trying to confirm a valid question. I am in no way trying to start a big debate. Take care guys
Old 10-08-03, 06:20 PM
LexFather

I've been a moderator for over 2 years now and we DON'T PLAY GAMES and we don't PLAY WITH PRIVACY. Good question and the answer is what Dave said.
Old 10-08-03, 06:34 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Jedi mind tricks

No mod could have told you: "have COMPLETE access to ALL private messages on Club Lexus". I had the same feeling you did before I bacame a mod though.