Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Lexus of Richmond in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 09:14 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus of Richmond in Virginia

This is a warning to anyone who is thinking about buying a Lexus from the Richmond Dealership in Virginia called "Lexus of Richmond". Let me tell you my story...

September 27th:

I went into Lexus of Richmond to see if i can check out a Lexus IS300 SportCross Model. The sales person, Germaine Bryant, came out to assist me. At first impression, she greeted me and gave me a good first impression. I told her what I was looking for the SportCross model. Her response is "Well, Lexus discontinued the SportCross model early 2003. Now, we all know that this is not true. The main Lexus website clearly has a section for the 2004 SportCross model.

I had to convince her that there is a 2004 SportCross model available. She had to go and talk to her manager to confirm. The manager confirmed that there will be a 2004 SportCross model.

Now, the funny thing is that the 2004 IS300 Brochures in the Lexus of Richmond's lobby clearly has a couple of big color photos of the new SportCross model...Does Lexus of Richmond train its "expert" sales reps to flip through the brochures at least?

Since the Richmond Lexus did not have the model for me to test drive, I asked to drive a IS300 Sedan before I make my decision to order the SportCross from them.

Ms. Bryant took me on a test drive. She did not show me any features on the IS300. She did not talk to me about the IS300 Sedan and its many great qualities. She simply went along for the ride and said "take right here, take left here." Is this how Lexus is supposed to treat potential customers?

So nevermind that. I wanted the SportCross. The IS300 Sedan drove very nicely. I liked it. Despite the worsening experience with the sales person...I decided to order the SportCross anyway since the dealership is the only one that is the most convienient for me due to its location.

I put down my deposit of $1,000. "negotiated" a price but was not asked to sign any papers. I signed zero documentations.

Ms. Bryant told me that the car will take at least 60-90 days to arrive.

October 25

I got a call from Lexus of Richmond. The told me that my car has arrived. To my surprise, the car arrived within 30 days which is at least 30 - 60 days ahead of promised time. I was amazed and happy at the same time.

However, my excitement was dampened when Mr. Bryant began to push me to pick up the car right away before the end of month so they can add this SportCross sales to their quota or something.

Hmm..I thought I have already agreed to buy the car already...she is now PUSHING me to pick up the car A.S.A.P?

Although I would not have minded picking up the car before the end of month, it was a bad timing for me.

Since I thought the car would not arrive for at least 60-90 days, I shifted my money around to gain more interest while I waited. For me to get the money I had for the car back in September when I was car shopping was giong to be troublesome. Not to mention, her attitude of pushing me to pick up the car really bugged me.

I told her that I will meet them on October 27th and work something out and check out the car.

October 27

I drove to Lexus of Richmond with my 1994 BMW 325i which I planned to trade-in.

I saw the SportCross with its white covers and plastic wraps. The car looked sharp and beautiful. I loved it.

Then the negotiation began...

I told Lexus of Richmond that I would like to get a fair trade-in value and I will agree to pay the original price we agreed when I placed my deposit.

They would not budge to give me a fair trade-in. So I said well, I would prefer picking up the car in the month of november since it's more convienient for me. I would just take whatever trade-in they give me in november and pay them in full the price we agreed back in September...

OH NO, Lexus of Richmond won't have that. They began their PUSHY, UNPROFESSIONAL used car salesman tactics to get me to buy the car in the month of October. They said things such as well, if you don't get it now, then we might have to do this and that and this...

Hmm..shouldn't they be happy that I am buying the car already even if it is just a week later? Their attitude began to **** me off. I started to become very unsatisfied.

I told them that I shifted my assets around since they told that the car won't arrive for at least 60-90 days. I did not know it was going to come before the end of October. The sales manager then said that HE KNEW all along the car was coming before the end of October. WHAT??? why didn't he tell Ms. Bryant that? Why didn't he tell me that before?

This really pissed me off b/c I had the chance to sell my BMW in mid-october for a very good price, but I was unable to do it b/c I could not borrow a friend's car for 2 months. I thought the Lexus was not going to arrive until late december to early February...If I knew that my Lexus was going to arrive at the end of October, I would of been able to rid the BMW at a great deal in mid-october.

Why didn't the sale manager tell me that the car was going to get there before the end of October puzzzles me till this day.

To make a long story short...

after some more exchanges and this and that. I decided to screw it and buy the damn car anyway since the SportCross is so hard to find.

i took a major hit on my trade-in. but i did like the SportCross very much even though I was not happy with the sales experience with the dealership.

I paid them in full with a check!

So I thought that was the end of story right...they got their sales at the end of the month, i got my car. that's that.

Mid November

I got one of those surveys from Lexus Headquarters to ask me about my experience with Lexus of Richmond in Virginia.

I filled it truthfully. I gave it an average rating.

I said that the really bad things about the Lexus Richmond are the following:

1. Sales Reps are not knowledgeable about the product lines of Lexus. The sales person did not even know the SportCross existed.

2. Sales Rep and Manager were pushy in price negotiations to meet end of month quotas.

I sent out the survey...

December 30

Got a call from Ms. Bryant from Lexus of Richmond on my cell phone.

She said "Happy New Year," and then said, "I am going to give you a spanking."

I said "excuse me?"

She then said that she got the survey back from Lexus Headquarter and was not happy with what I put down.

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT???

This sales rep had the audacity to call me and COMPLAIN to me about the survey that I filled out truthfully and honestly.

I told her that she is being very unprofessional. I already paid my money. I asked her what she wanted from me.

She had no response. She did not even bother to apologize for what she said.

Is this the way all Lexus dealerships treat its customers who have paid their hard earned money of $30,000+ for a car?

I am very pissed off and disappointed at Lexus of Richmond, especially Ms. Germaine Bryant.

Do not go to Lexus of Richmond in Virginia for anything. They do not deserve the business and our hard earned money!

and now, I wish I can return the damn car and get it from someone else. I am so pissed off at this moment, I am actually thinking about not being a lexus owner anymore. To receive a phone call and yelled out by sales person who took my money already during the holidays is UNCALLED FOR.

anyway, that's that.

Last edited by darden; 12-30-03 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 10:02 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

D....that behavior was totally unprofessional. I would give Lexus headquarters a call and voice your unhappiness!!

Last edited by Letsride; 01-01-04 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 03:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

I'd agree about informing someone that she placed a followup call to the customer to complain about her survey results. Very unprofessional.
Old 01-01-04, 10:28 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. yeah, i wrote Ms. B an e-mail and carbon copied to the general manager and the sales manager:

Ms. Germaine Bryant:

I will be contacting Lexus Headquarter customer service to inform them of your unprofessional conduct/phone call in response to my survey for Lexus of Richmond.

I will be taking my business to Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria from now on after sharing my experience with current Lexus owners on message boards of various Lexus communities and clubs on the Internet. I was actually about to take a friend of mine to visit you for a 2004 IS300 Sedan until your phone call yesterday. Instead, I will be giving my friend a ride to Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria to purchase a Graphite Gray Pearl IS300 Sedan with 5-Speed. He wants a Lexus after seeing my car. They are great cars.

I regret that I did not begin my first Lexus ownership with Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria or any other more well respected and reputed Lexus dealerships highly recommended by other Lexus owners around the country.
the general manager wrote back the same day with carbon copies to Ms. B and other managers as well to apologize. he wrote:

I offer my sincere apology to you on behalf of our entire organization. It appears that we regrettably got off to a tainted start with the purchase of your Sportcross. I invite you visit our dealership to service your vehicle, and you will quickly find that this incident was out of character with our organizational goals and philosophy.
We do not endorse any behavior that is considered offensive to our owners and guests, hence we will counselor with Ms. Bryant about her interaction with you. I thank you for your time and patience.
i wrote back and thanked him very much. and said that i may visit and endorse the dealership once again due to his quick response to this issue. not to mention, this is all done on New Year's Eve! i was not expecting a response until the first week in 2004.

now, the general manager's quick reply and nice response is what i do expect from dealerships of Lexus. i feel much better now. i give much props to the general manager at Lexus of Richmond.