Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

3rd Annual, 2004 Clublexus SLAYS the Dragon Meet, August 20-22

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 03:04 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bluelex
that makes sense.....will do if i go....any dates yet?
Nothing firm yet, it seems. I suspect that, once a date is decided on, it'll be posted on this thread.

I did this last year and I TOTALLY loved it. God willing, I'm THERE again this year.
Old 04-27-04, 03:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Before we lock down the date I want to confirm availability of the hotel and our group rates. We had some discussions on our planning forum about staying at the Microtel vs going to the Tapoco Lodge and if I recall the general consensus was that the Microtel was pretty good (certainly better than the place we stayed at the prior year).... cheap, clean and had a big meeting room for us. Small enough town that there don't seem to be crime issues. The 1/2 hour drive to the dragon was a nice warmup through the countryside.

Tapoco looks nice and is right on the dragon but absolutely nothing is around it, limited parking.

I'm calling back tomorrow to talk to "Sue" who does all the group planning. As of now, they have plenty of availability that weekend. I'll setup our group discounts and reserve a block of 25 rooms similar to what I did last year.

More to come...

Any strong opinions on lodging please let me know.

Edit - I went ahead and shot off an email to tailofthedragon to put in our bid on the calendar for that weekend. We can request they change it if something big comes up and a large group can't make it on that date.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-27-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 03:42 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

I was happy with the Microtel. No complaints from me if we stay there again this year.
Old 04-27-04, 03:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm fine with Microtel Dave. Like you said the Tapoco Lodge is nice ,but we have to drive 30 minutes down to town if we ever need some little thing at the grocery store. We can do the same like last year by stop at Tapoco for lunch.
Oh, we may need to call the restaurant that we ate breakfast( the one across from the hotel) and let them know we're coming.Because last year they didn't prepare to have a group of 20 customers at 9:00 A.M.
Old 04-27-04, 04:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Totally agree Nuum, that's on the 'lessons learned' list from last year. I'll get a count of folks for breakfast and let them know in advance.

I've got 'em all written down somewhere, need to pull them out to make sure we address them. Other things we'll improve (off the top of my head):

- Better organized 'launch' to the Dragon where we form up in our assigned groups.
- Route maps printed in advance for participants with our group stopping points defined (available onsite or downloadable)
- More planned 'meet' time to check out each others rides, take pictures, etc.
- Positive feedback on the 'clinics' offered, trying to get Clif to do a driving clinic for us this year on approaching curves, braking. Open to other suggestions.
Old 04-27-04, 04:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If Clif can do that it will be great for us. Last year, the warm up run to the Dragon's I was following his brand new M3 and it not even break in yet. So, he have to drive slow and watch his rpm to go over 5500. It was an experience to see the way he handle his M3 around the corner without pushing it too hard and still keeping up with the group. This year his car is ready and I know he will leading the group along wiht Jeff's GT-3.
One thing I've learned last year, full tank of gas on Saturday morning and ready for a 100+ miles drive.
Get your car check up before the trip.
Old 04-27-04, 06:37 PM
LexFather

We chose August B/C September/October brings Football season and games sometimes have people flood the area. The Microtel was great, the people that ran it were Lexus owners. No pool though for us to chill at. They gave us a hose to wash the cars out front. There are plenty of places to eat around the Microtel.

I'll start surfing other forums to see when other car clubs may go so we can avoid them (remember the bikers and Kid Rock 2 years ago) .

PLEASE, PLEASE have your maintenance done before the Dragon, new, fresh fluids and brakes. Your brakes will NEVER BE HOTTER.

Old 04-27-04, 10:25 PM
k3turbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
PLEASE, PLEASE have your maintenance done before the Dragon, new, fresh fluids and brakes. Your brakes will NEVER BE HOTTER.
word. i can attest to that

that was fresh pad too.....
Old 04-28-04, 07:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

OK, I spoke with 'Sue' this morning at the Robbinsville Microtel and we're all set. We have the same block of 25 rooms we had last year (can go up or down from that as needed). If this blows up (as it might) we need to pretty quickly expand that... so please post as you make your reservations so we keep an eye on how many rooms we have left.

We have the same 10% discount as last year and their rates are the same. All discounts they offer are 10% including AAA, etc.

Single queen rooms with discount are $53.95
Double queen rooms with discount are $58.45
Suites are $71.95 (have 1 queen, 1 sleeper sofa and mini-kitchen) with discount
The Jacuzzi suite is $80.95 with discount.

In the block of rooms I've reserved all the suites for our group as well as the Jacuzzi suite and a mixed bag of the regular rooms. Just ask for which one you want when you call, and request the 'Lexus' club discount.

http://www.lexusdragon.com/lodging.html has the details on how to register / contact the hotel directly, but don't get confused by the dates on the website . We want August 20 (Friday) checking out Sunday August 22. Discounted rates are still good if you arrive Friday and leave Saturday or just stay Saturday night. Sue is the lady I spoke with who was setting up the discount. I've already made my reservation for one of the suites.

While the Microtel will take reservations without a credit card guarantee, I highly recommend you go ahead and confirm it. If they happen to sell out of rooms that weekend, they may bump those that are not confirmed for those that are guaranteed with a card. If you end up backing out of the trip, just cancel the reservation 24 hours before the weekend and you have no penalty or charges.
Old 04-29-04, 10:27 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many ‘Thanks’ to Dave for arranging the MicroTel again. I also echo Dave’s comments re: using your credit card to secure the room. I made mine yesterday!

One other item I thought about while remembering last year. Bring ‘Quick’ detailing products. The CW down the road, last year at least, had an inch or 2 of mud in the stalls.
Old 04-29-04, 08:00 PM
jiggafett
Rookie

Good to see progress, you guys are top notch!

I have a couple of buddies that want to join us on our escapade, but they'll be on their cycles. They told me they'll hang behind the last and slowest driver, whereas they aren't looking to haul ***. They just wanna ride the twisties, and will trailer their bikes as well as mine up there. I'll be driving my car for our drive, but I'll have fun with the bike either Fri, or Sunday.

I hope you guys are OK with this, please give me your input. If you feel it won't be a problem which I personally don't foresee.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-04, 10:00 PM
LexFather

Great Dave! The MicroTel is a great inn. Downstairs, there is a conference room. We had our raffle there last year (it's a big room). We usually crash in diff rooms, have a drink, swap magazines and talk cars.

Maybe I'll have a Lexus/Clublexus tutorial for those interested in the history of things in the conference room. The weather is usually hot, be comfortable as we'll be in the cars all day.

Everywhere takes credit cards. There is even a good Chinese buffet there. Bring some cash just in case.

Bring lots of film, cameras, batteries. Where we go is very very picturesque. We do make stops to take pics.

We do travel in safety groups. From stock, to different levels of mods (SUSPENSION). Of course, say Dex's M coupe would qualify for the top level.

I would suggest trying a local BMW driving event in your area. Or go into an empty parking lot and see what you and your car can do. 319 curves in 11 miles or so. You will be sweating and you will be tense after the drive. It's that serious.

Some people do the dragon more than once. We all go together on Saturday, some go again SUnday morning.

Old 04-30-04, 06:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by jiggafett
Good to see progress, you guys are top notch!

I have a couple of buddies that want to join us on our escapade, but they'll be on their cycles. They told me they'll hang behind the last and slowest driver, whereas they aren't looking to haul ***. They just wanna ride the twisties, and will trailer their bikes as well as mine up there. I'll be driving my car for our drive, but I'll have fun with the bike either Fri, or Sunday.

I hope you guys are OK with this, please give me your input. If you feel it won't be a problem which I personally don't foresee.

Thanks.
Jiggafett,

It won't be a problem. We do like to keep this a Lexus-focused event, but 'friends and family' of the participants (and member of our forums with other vehicles) are welcome as well within reason. If the signed up group looks small, we sometimes will expand to invite Supra folks or other select groups. I don't think we'll have that problem this year, but those folks like K3turbo who have participated in past years are certainly welcome to join us again.
Old 04-30-04, 07:06 AM
johnp66
Rookie

Default Confirming reservation

Hello, everyone. I've confirmed one of your suites for Aug. 20-22. Plan to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway off I-26 to U.S. 19 and then south to the Robbinsville area. If you've never driven the Parkway, and you have time, don't miss it. It's one of the real treasures of the Southland. One of the few places -- maybe the only place -- east of the Mississippi where you drive a highway above 6,000 feet. Breath-taking views. It will add an hour to your trip vs. going through Maggie Valley. As they say, getting there is half the fun. See you in Robbinsville. -- john
Old 04-30-04, 07:14 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Default Re: Confirming reservation

Originally posted by johnp66
Hello, everyone. I've confirmed one of your suites for Aug. 20-22. Plan to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway off I-26 to U.S. 19 and then south to the Robbinsville area. If you've never driven the Parkway, and you have time, don't miss it. It's one of the real treasures of the Southland. One of the few places -- maybe the only place -- east of the Mississippi where you drive a highway above 6,000 feet. Breath-taking views. It will add an hour to your trip vs. going through Maggie Valley. As they say, getting there is half the fun. See you in Robbinsville. -- john
I'll definitely vouch for that. 2 years ago, my son & I drove the entire Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive. I drove it "backwards" from most people. (started in North Carolina / Tennessee and worked my way northeastward to Virginia). It was a wonderful, memorable drive, as was the Dragon last year.

Quick Reply: 3rd Annual, 2004 Clublexus SLAYS the Dragon Meet, August 20-22