Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

5th Annual Tail of the Dragon 2006 - Memorial Day Weekend May 27th

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 08:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

ADD TO THE PACKING LIST: If you are bringing a video camera, don't forget to bring the connector cable so the output can be watched on the TV at the hotel in the conference room after our runs.

SATURDAY NIGHT UPDATE: As above the idea has been advanced to have a hold'em poker game for those that want to participate.

FOOD UPDATE: One of the things that has gone downhill about the Dragon meets the last couple of years has been the food. IMO other than lunch at the Tapoco Lodge the food we've found has been mediocre at best as a couple of the good spots have been closed.

So... Saturday night 1sicklex and I have been kicking around the idea of grilling out. Buy a couple of disposable portable grills from the local store and some charcoal and do some burgers, dogs and brats from the grocery. Rain plan is to order takeout pizza.

======================================
Other food options I haven't yet had time to investiage...

I sent an email to the fine folks at tailofthedragon.com to ask their thoughts on local food and they had these suggestions
David:

Good dining is one of the dilemmas of where we live. Some have found the
food at Lynn's Place to their liking - across the street from the
Courthouse on Old Main Street. We have great hopes for the Stecoah Cafe.
This used to be Tooties in Stecoah on NC28 a few mile east of NC143. The
place was purchased by the owners of the Burger Basket in Andrews. We
always liked the fresh hamburgers at the Basket. The Tapoco Lodge has a
limited dinner menu www.tapocolodge.com. We have not eaten at Fontana
Village since the change in ownership.

As for higher priced dining we recommend the Snow Bird Lodge
www.snowbirdlodge.com located at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway
and the Blue Waters Mountain Lodge http://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/
located on old US129 north of Robbinsville about 5 miles (turn at the
Pineridge Fire Station). Both of these places require reservations.
There is a bar at the Snowbird.

A new place in Andrews has promise - The Cole House
http://colehouse.org/index.html

Ron and Nancy Johnson
www.TailoftheDragon.com
3094 Santeetlah Road
Robbinsville, NC 28771
1-800-768-7129

David K Williams wrote:
>
> Ron & Nancy
>
> Thank you so much for operating the tailofthedragon website- great
> info as always.
>
> Got a question for you.... I have a group staying in Robbinsville and
> we've had problems in the last couple of years finding anywhere good
> to eat in town. Can you recommend anything in reasonable driving
> distance (15 - 20 mins) with good eats for breakfast and dinner?
>
> Many thanks.
Old 05-22-06, 08:35 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there any people from Raleigh, NC who are crusing to the event together or wish to do so?

Scott
Old 05-23-06, 06:06 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.5 RS
Should be a fun weekend ... the NASIOC group is going to be up there the same weekend ... we'll probably see you all around.

Marlette
I know! I'll be straddling both camps this year. After totalling my IS300 on the way home from the Dragon last year, I wanted an IS350, but, with all the intro-time hoopla, the prices were out of my reach. Thus, I'm now driving a Subaru Impreza WRX on a 2-year lease.

In fact, I'll probably head back to Miami in a mini-caravan with one of the Subies. On the other hand, I've had my Microtel reservations for a while and will be doing my meeting and driving with the Lexus group.
Old 05-23-06, 03:47 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joaquin and 1Sick or anyone who want to caravan from Atl please let know. I will leave Gwinnett around 2.00 p.m like year.
Old 05-23-06, 03:56 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Hey Joaquin and 1Sick or anyone who want to caravan from Atl please let know. I will leave Gwinnett around 2.00 p.m like year.
Awesome!

I'll meet you at Gwinnett, just like last year.

I'm awaiting a couple of replies: one from a my.IS member from Atlanta (JimmyTheMonkey) who had said something about going, and another from a CL member from Orlando, FL who owns an LS and is signed up.

Hey, Nuum, is Woody going again this year?
Old 05-23-06, 05:09 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Awesome!

I'll meet you at Gwinnett, just like last year.

I'm awaiting a couple of replies: one from a my.IS member from Atlanta (JimmyTheMonkey) who had said something about going, and another from a CL member from Orlando, FL who owns an LS and is signed up.

Hey, Nuum, is Woody going again this year?
Cool, we can use the same route up there or you can use another route that you like. My 350 only got 200 miles on her, so this is a good way to break her in...

Woody can't make it this year, but he say hello to everyone and he will be kicking himself from behind...
Old 05-24-06, 08:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I just remembered one item I always complain about RE the Microtel. The hotel is relatively new, the people are nice, it's generally clean and the conference room they let us use is very handy.

I seem to recall they don't provide any shampoo or it's bad... one or the other.

Plan to pack your own soap, shampoo and conditioner in.

Other than the soap and shampoo, I put together a pretty exhaustive packing list you might want to review as a reminder. I print it every year for myself:
http://www.lexusdragon.com/suggested_packing_list.html

For those of you putting the Microtel in Nav, it may be there as a hotel you can target, or under either the 111 Rodney Orr Bypass Robbinsville, NC 28771 address or the 111 Highway US129
Old 05-24-06, 08:59 PM
LexFather

I can't make it. My non smoking suite is up for grabs
Old 05-25-06, 08:06 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can't make it. My non smoking suite is up for grabs
Wow! Must be something in the air! A situation at work just came up and I can't take Friday off. I just cancelled my room (a non-smoking double). Sorry to say I won't be able to make it up there this year. Have a good one, folks. God willing, I'll be there next year.
Old 05-25-06, 02:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If anyone with a 2GS that does not have lowering springs is coming to this meet, please PM me asap. I have a raffle prize that I will bring if you're there, but will not if no one speaks up!
Old 05-25-06, 05:56 PM
GeIS300
Driver

Crud.. I just called and Crysal at Microtel tells me that there are no non-smoking rooms
Well I better pack my Flonase...

See y'all soon!

GeIS300 - Max
Old 05-26-06, 06:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'll have printouts of the updated Drive Agenda, but wanted to post it here as well. Gotta pack so no time for fancy formatting

· 8:30 am Meet in lobby to grab breakfast with all who care to join us, location TBD nearby. Group leaves from the Microtel, meet outside the lobby in the parking lot We’ll leave word at the front desk where we’re going to eat (most likely fast food breakfast spot next door to left of hotel – walking distance). Hotel also has a continental breakfast if you want free food

Gas up and wash your car now if you need to. Must be ready to leave at 10:00

§ 9:30 AM Mandatory safety discussion on approaching turns and braking in the Microtel meeting room, 1st floor. Group assignments and route review. If you are coming for Saturday only, be here at 9:30 or meet us at lunch.

§ 10 AM Sharp Meet in Microtel Parking lot, already gassed up and head out on the morning ‘warm up drive’ en route to the Dragon Launch point.

§ 10:45 we drive past the Tapoco Lodge and drive the Dragon slowly north This run is a warm up and road condition check! Obey speed limits!
§ ~11:30 stop at the lake at the end of the Dragon for a brief stretch, Return via the Dragon to the Tapoco

§ 12:15 PM Lunch Meeting at the Tapoco Lodge & join any Saturday-Only meet participants. Reservations are under ‘Lexus’

§ The Tapoco Lodge is 4 miles away from the entrance of Deal's Gap on the NC side. More info --> http://www.tapocolodge.com

§ This is the second location where we will meet those folks who come ‘only for the drive’ on Saturday. If you want to prepare a mapquest map to the Tapoco, use this address as your destination. Their phone # is also listed below.
14981 Tapoco Road Robbinsville, North Carolina 28771
828.498.2435 or 800.822.5083

§ We've made reservations for our group but I’ve also learned another group is coming… we’ll want to be there early. They are open from 12 – 2pm.

§ 2pm - Gather group in parking lot, (including day-trip participants) and drive the Dragon (leave in groups) Those remaining folks that want to visit the Dragon Motorcycle Shop should go now or come back later in evening / Sunday.

§ Gather at endpoint to hurl, curse and cry. There are two very large gravel parking lots that are easy to spot where we’ll meet up. One is just before the lake, the other is right to the side of the lake. We’ll likely stop at the second one to the left of the road to take group pictures.

§ 3:30pm – continue driving loop north of the Dragon to link with the Cherohala Skyway.
§ Continue 129 north
§ 72 N / W
§ 411 South / West
§ 360 South
§ 165 East TN / 143 East NC
§ 129 back at the hotel
§ Here is a basic map of our planned route http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/dragonloop.gif
Old 05-26-06, 07:27 AM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

from tailofthedragon.com
LEO UPDATE Watch for periodic show of force by Tennessee Highway Patrol on the Dragon. Always take it easy along the river on US 129 as you approach the Dragon. Blount County SO will usually have a car shooting radar along here. There will be increased enforcement on western North Carolina roads this summer by NCHP. Watch for radar on the Cherohala and major 4-lanes such as US74/19 and NC28. Also expect to see NC Motorcycle Troopers on weekends in the area on a limited basis. We have seen Blount Co Sheriff cars on the Dragon at various times. Be aware that they will issue tickets for unreasonable speeds and unsafe riding.
Old 05-26-06, 08:23 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Sorry guys, I can' t make it this year too. My back pain is killing me and I already packed all my stuff in the car... .I will see you guys at Lexfest. Have fun guys.
Old 05-26-06, 08:49 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Sorry guys, I can' t make it this year too. My back pain is killing me and I already packed all my stuff in the car... .I will see you guys at Lexfest. Have fun guys.
Wow! Sorry to hear that, Nuum. See you at Lexfest.

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Tail of the Dragon 2006 - Memorial Day Weekend May 27th