Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

SIXTH Annual Tail of the Dragon Meet - August 17th -19th

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Saw that Keith... very sad - I don't plan on hot-doggin' it this time, I enjoy my 'vert even going slow. I know you don't believe it, but then last time you saw me drive I had a stonkin' fast BMW bike on my ***.

So I guess you're not coming up? Would be great to see you. If you don't wanna drive I could even pick you up on the way up.
Old 07-25-07, 03:12 PM
ColumbusIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hotel Confirmed
Old 07-25-07, 03:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Excellent!
Old 08-02-07, 12:55 PM
Nline6
Driver School Candidate

how much do you want to bet the closing date on my house is going to fall on that friday ;(

-Brett
Old 08-04-07, 08:02 PM
ColumbusIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nline6
how much do you want to bet the closing date on my house is going to fall on that friday ;(

-Brett
Dude .. I will personally kick your *** from Columbus down to Robbinsville and back again if you cancel .. and remember .. we go through the Dragon to get to Robbinsville.
Old 08-06-07, 11:46 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ColumbusIS
Dude .. I will personally kick your *** from Columbus down to Robbinsville and back again if you cancel .. and remember .. we go through the Dragon to get to Robbinsville.
Mark, drag Brett's butt down to the dragon will ya. I wanna see how the s2k does on the dragon because that car is hella scary to drive aggressively. My roomate has one, but he's afraid to bring it to the dragon, so it has to be the STI or ITR.
Old 08-07-07, 06:48 AM
ColumbusIS
Driver School Candidate

THP virtually shuts down the Dragon.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_SHUTDOWN.html

Here's the video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...36395229&hl=en

Now we've all heard about stuff like this before in the rumor mills and on various Dragon news/BBS's but never with video. With people getting pulled over for no reason and the fact Brett and I have to come through TN to get to the hotel doesn't make me feel safe. Phunny huh ? Police presence and I DON"T feel safe. I can understand if I'm driving like a maniac and get pulled over .... I'll cop to that (no pun intended ). But if folks are getting hauled off to the side of the road for no reason at all (or the catch all "saftey inspection" ) I'm not real comfortable with that. I mean ... you, as the driver, are out of state, don't know local laws and regulations, what if they pull me over and say my 18x8 rims are an "illegal performance modification" and they can confiscate my car. I am literally powerless to stop them. I'll go the speed limit, hell the road is still challenging then and it might provide an opportunity to see the scenery some more, but I most assuredly have an uneasy feeling in my stomach about the trip this time
Old 08-07-07, 04:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Hopefully they'll be back to normal before our visit but a couple of additional ideas that I've mentioned.

1) I'd like to consider a broader loop this year (still do Dragon, just more of the surrounding roads)

2) I'd like to consider sending a 'screening car' (like the safety car at the end of our group that only drives the limit) that looks for our law enforcement friends and pulls over soon after spotting them to alert the rest of the group via GMRS radio.

3) Early morning / later evening runs. The first run will always need to be speed limit to get lay of the land.

I think you'll be perfectly safe coming through TN - the focus is on the Dragon itself so just drive the limit there (still challenging as you know).

Worst case the Dragon is a speed limit run and we explore the other roads in the area a bit more thoroughly. Unless I hear differently, that's what we'll plan to do.

Also - I ask that everyone bring an FRS/GRMS Radio this year. Staying in touch is going to be especially important. I'll bring a couple extra to loan out if you don't have one / can't get one.
Old 08-07-07, 06:53 PM
Nline6
Driver School Candidate

im with mark on this one. from reading killboy and Tailofthedragon.com and dealsgap.com i dont feel comfortable drivign even if i am goign the speed limit. i mean there pulling anyone over to just nit pick your car and find somthign to give you a ticket for.

but then again i like the looks of this sign

Old 08-08-07, 11:21 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Dave, Does anyone have an daily time line set out yet? Stops,meeting times, etc... and where?
Old 08-08-07, 12:18 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, what time are you and krista leaving. I'm probably going to leave early in the morning and head up the Lake Lure way and have lunch up there and then meet up with you guys in Asheville like I did last year at around 4 P.M. or so. Let me know.
Old 08-08-07, 01:24 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Hey Dave, Does anyone have an daily time line set out yet? Stops,meeting times, etc... and where?
bitkahuna sent me some suggestions and I'll work on 'em tomorrow and Friday and should have suggested routes posted late this weekend.

The only 'definite' timed stop however is lunch at the Tapoco Lodge around noon.... seems like anytime we set up others something happens where part of the group goes elsewhere, we have to stop for something etc.
Old 08-08-07, 01:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Dave, what time are you and krista leaving. I'm probably going to leave early in the morning and head up the Lake Lure way and have lunch up there and then meet up with you guys in Asheville like I did last year at around 4 P.M. or so. Let me know.
We're going to leave early afternoon. Clif (E46 M3) is picking up his passenger at the airport around noon and we'll leave after he gets back and settled. I'd guess 1:30 or so.

Anyone from Charlotte or passing through Charlotte that would like to meet up and caravan please PM me! Jeff (911 GT3) is going to drive up Saturday morning.

I also did hear from Khan - he's hoping to join us but is still trying to make it fit with his work schedule.
Old 08-10-07, 08:57 AM
Nline6
Driver School Candidate

ok reserved my hotel rooms today and talked to the lady and as of noon today the people on the dragon have only seen 1 THP so thats good!!

and the lady said we still have 3 more rooms blocked

-Brett
Old 08-10-07, 09:04 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
bitkahuna sent me some suggestions and I'll work on 'em tomorrow and Friday and should have suggested routes posted late this weekend.

The only 'definite' timed stop however is lunch at the Tapoco Lodge around noon.... seems like anytime we set up others something happens where part of the group goes elsewhere, we have to stop for something etc.

If we could include a car wash stop @ 8:30-9:00 am time. My plans are to leave Ashville @ 7:00 am and stop to wash car in robbinsville hopefully around 8:30.

Quick Reply: SIXTH Annual Tail of the Dragon Meet - August 17th -19th