Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

SIXTH Annual Tail of the Dragon Meet - August 17th -19th

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 08:35 PM
wrh3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The police were not too bad and the drive was great ......with the exception that we lost the rest of the group (wrong turn??) on the way to the Cherahola Skyway. It was nice seeing the ATL crew again and meeting some new people. Looking forward to seeing some pics
Old 08-18-07, 09:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by wrh3
The police were not too bad and the drive was great ......with the exception that we lost the rest of the group (wrong turn??) on the way to the Cherahola Skyway. It was nice seeing the ATL crew again and meeting some new people. Looking forward to seeing some pics
Sorry we didn't catch back up. Two folks missed the first turn off of 129 and we waited for them at the big gas station right where you took the left onto what turns into the Cherahola.... they went quite some time before realizing they weren't catching up to anyone

Glad you could and your wife could come out and thanks for bringing your beautiful Lotus!
Old 08-18-07, 09:40 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

pics dave!! PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-07, 06:41 AM
wrh3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry we didn't catch back up. Two folks missed the first turn off of 129 and we waited for them at the big gas station right where you took the left onto what turns into the Cherahola.... they went quite some time before realizing they weren't catching up to anyone

Glad you could and your wife could come out and thanks for bringing your beautiful Lotus!
It was nice meeting you and your wife Dave. Lance (? I am horrible with names) in the Supra was behind me and we pulled off and waited for a while to see if the group would catch up. We figured after a while that someone had missed a turn (but your instructions were great) and drove back on the Cherahola, nice drive except for the last half behind a nursing home group of motorcyclists that did 10 MPH under the speed limit and refused to pull off and let us pass, but I guess that is to be expected based on past experience.
The only police we saw on the Cherahola was one that pulled off on the opposing overlook and ended up chasing down a motorcycle for passing on double yellow

Thanks for organizing this, it was fun hanging out with all of you
Old 08-19-07, 01:11 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was nice to meet all of you the Dragon's Slayers again. It was funs as usual. My wife had never seen any road like this one before in her life..

A big thanks to Dave and Krista to organized another successful event.

I hope to see everybody back home safely. My trip went well,but stuck behind the church people on HWY 129 right after 12 o'l clock and it was a one lane road for about 15 miles...

Some pic at Fontana Dam.

Old 08-19-07, 01:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Great drives! The Dragon itself was a bit anticlimactic with the combination of extreme police presence and slower than expected traffic. But the rest of the trip was excellent - great to meet Dave and Christa, Mike, Vu, Mark, Rob,..great drives, great company, even if I was first out of the poker game.

I was actually sandbagging the last 30 miles of the Cherahola. My fuel light came on, and I was concerned about running really low and too lean around corners, so I was using single turbo action and low revs to conserve fuel. My needle was well below the bottom mark when we were going uphill.

It was also great to validate a 14 year old car could run with the "young pups" and still put on a good showing. Can't wait for next year!
Old 08-19-07, 03:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Glad to hear folks making it home OK... we're back and I know Vu is as well.

Lance, I wish you'd gone this AM... on the way out there were no cops and the way back only two motorcycle police (queue "CHiPs theme music") and the group got in a much better drive on the Dragon. Nuum, glad you caught us - didn't mean to leave you as I was told you were packing to head out!

Pics tomorrow, I need some stiffer cold medicine and sleep tonight. Hope I didn't pass along the extra "summer cold" raffle prize to anyone.
Old 08-19-07, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Glad you guys had a great time. Sorry I decided not to come (a long week, the distance, heat, suspension mods not done to my car yet, and chores to be done just made me bail).

I missed not getting to see everyone again though. Hopefully next year...

Maybe someone can recap what you guys did?
Old 08-19-07, 05:24 PM
LexFather

I had a blast!!! I'm safe. I'lll post my pics soon.

Great meeting new people and hanging with you O.Gs!!!
Old 08-19-07, 06:22 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a great time, and just think we`ll have fresh pavement at the top of the dam next year Ha.
Old 08-19-07, 06:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Had a great time, and just think we`ll have fresh pavement at the top of the dam next year Ha.

Yeah, Jeremey you were there for the worst part of all the drives.... The 'slow' Dragon run and the repaving of the Dam visitor center area.... after that it picked up quite a bit

Thanks for coming regardless and your IS is looking very nice!
Old 08-19-07, 07:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Glad you guys had a great time. Sorry I decided not to come (a long week, the distance, heat, suspension mods not done to my car yet, and chores to be done just made me bail).

I missed not getting to see everyone again though. Hopefully next year...

Maybe someone can recap what you guys did?

Paul we missed you there, but I think you made the right call... it was blazing hot all weekend and hit 102 in some spots.

I'll do a writeup when I post the pictures.
Old 08-19-07, 07:07 PM
ColumbusIS
Driver School Candidate

Team Ohio back and safe (I'm assuming this on Brett's behalf ) Great to see all the old faces and meet new people. Had a blast as usual even if we couldn't run the dragon at full clip. Krista .... I'll start throwing a few ideas around in my head over this week (I'm on vacation) and I'll PM you.
Old 08-19-07, 07:39 PM
Nline6
Driver School Candidate

well i made it back also. only took 9hr's and was 492 mile from the hotel to home.

it was nice hanging out with old friends, and was great to share the dragon with the newbies even though it wasnt like "back in the days" 30mph sucks!

anyway still had fun glad to see the number of cops dropped each day. 12-6-2 and on the run back thru to go home me and mark only saw 1 trooper and that was right before we got to the lake/gravel parking lot!!!

thanks again dave for throwing a great event!

-Brett

PS tell Jeff thanks again for leaving the keys in the GT3
Old 08-19-07, 09:41 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear everyone is back home safely. As Dave stated above, I made it back safe and well and have been cleaning my car along with finding the problem to my clunking right suspension noise. I'll post some pics that I took sometime tommorow when I get a chance. Again, it was nice meeting new folks such as lance, Brett's Fiance, Mark's Brother, and a few other folks that I've never meet before and of course the Old tymers and my seloc folks..

Quick Reply: SIXTH Annual Tail of the Dragon Meet - August 17th -19th