Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Any recommended suspension shops in Raleigh NC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 10:59 PM
zebt66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mteele
Yeah PJ, that would be awesome! My amount of tools is pretty minimal as well but I have everything that would be needed. I can't start buying air tools till I buy a house and have a garage

I keep looking for the shocks I want to come back in stock, but so far no luck.

How many miles are on your SC? Stuff like ball joints going bad, bushings, etc. is why I decided to not get such a high-mileage SC this time.
I don't work at Phantasm Motorsports, i am sponsored by them and as well is "Kuwupt". I am willing to help you if you want me to on the side. I have garage and tools. Been doing suspension install on cars for a while.
Old 04-03-08, 09:48 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zebt66
Are u the guy who got Big brake kit and suspension from Mike at Urban Import? cuz he said he has no one testing stuff for him or has any one with a lexus sponsored. Cuz i have been working with Mike since day 1 before he started distributing D2 suspension in the US.
I have pretty much every part from D2 racing and have been testing their products for almost 7 years now. I deal with the main corporate office oversea in terms of supplying parts therefore Urban Import doesn't know who I am. But if I recall, mike does not own Urban Import. He's only been there for around 2.5yr or so.
Old 04-04-08, 05:14 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Phantasm Motorsports, i am sponsored by them and as well is "Kuwupt".
sponsorship + 2jz-gte's = a vacume in the ole wallet. Glad its Nam and not me.
Old 04-04-08, 08:41 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need someone to help me track down a problem I have with my new brakes as well. Anyone ever heard of a rotor being warped brand new from the manufacturer?

My front passenger rotor/caliper has some issues I got freshly rebuilt calipers, all new hardware (shims, springs, etc), new pads and new rotors. And I think the one rotor is just "warped" from the factory (its a Raysbestos OEM style rotor).....its really odd. Other then having Tire Kingdom or a place like that mill down the rotor some I'm not sure on what to do.

Last edited by mteele; 04-04-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 06:28 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mteele
I need someone to help me track down a problem I have with my new brakes as well. Anyone ever heard of a rotor being warped brand new from the manufacturer?

My front passenger rotor/caliper has some issues I got freshly rebuilt calipers, all new hardware (shims, springs, etc), new pads and new rotors. And I think the one rotor is just "warped" from the factory (its a Raysbestos OEM style rotor).....its really odd. Other then having Tire Kingdom or a place like that mill down the rotor some I'm not sure on what to do.
Time to take it back apart. Could be about 10 things. One includes the calipers being stuck. Could be as simple as the wheel/lugs being loose.
Old 04-04-08, 08:12 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Well the company I bought everything from is sending me a replacement rotor.

I'm going to take things apart tomorrow though, even though I wont have the new rotor to install....these kinds of things drive me crazy, I want everything on my car to be perfect. I really do think its thr rotor. I knew something was wrong right after I first installed it. I thought maybe it would go away once I got a few miles on the parts but that has not been the case. When I had just the rotor on, I could spin it and if I looked closely, it looked like the rotor had a slight wave to it. With the caliper and pads on, it would spin freely expect at one point of its rotation.

I dont think one of the pistons is stuck, but I guess its something else to double check. I know my lug nuts are on tight Wish you were in town this weekend bud, have fun in the mountains!
Old 04-05-08, 03:22 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

I'm in town.. We put the trip off due to me being sick.
Old 04-06-08, 10:26 AM
zebt66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I have pretty much every part from D2 racing and have been testing their products for almost 7 years now. I deal with the main corporate office oversea in terms of supplying parts therefore Urban Import doesn't know who I am. But if I recall, mike does not own Urban Import. He's only been there for around 2.5yr or so.
Yeah but he is the Only Importer and Main Distributer for D2 in the US, other ware house is in Cali. I didn't say he owns D2.

That means i am a D2 tester as well, cuz i got 3 cars with full D2 suspension, sucks as; Big brake kit, Toe ends, coil overs, air jack setup, control arms, camber kit and etc. Most of it was free so i am basically sponsored
Old 04-06-08, 10:27 AM
zebt66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeremy
sponsorship + 2jz-gte's = a vacume in the ole wallet. Glad its Nam and not me.
Yep! they are!
Old 04-07-08, 09:50 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Zeb.. shutup..

mteele.. I would highly suggest cryo treating your rotors before putting them on mainly because you are almost doubling the life of your rotors. Autocross guys say that their brake pads last a hell of a lot longer too. There's a place that does it locally and they cost around $100 for a set, unless you get a group rate going it gets cheaper. Basically you are paying for one set up charge and then it goes by the lb. Also if you are going for springs and struts man, maybe you could do coilovers? Get with me on that if you haven't bought them yet.

Jeremy - we're not sponsored like that. Nam doesnt pay for anything but he does give us a break on parts.

Alexus_300 - Mike does own Urban, and as far as you testing stuff for D2's are concerned. That's cool. What year GS do you have D2's on? How does it ride? Spring rates?

PJ - I dont know if I've met you but would love to check your ride sometime. A friend of mine is working on a SC300 as well and I am looking into getting a SC300 and doing a 2JZ GTE swap for a customer.
Old 04-08-08, 04:24 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Well I am only getting one rotor replaced, not both, so I dont think cryo treating them is an option at this point. No big deal, the set of rotors was less then $100 shipped brand new. I just hope that my problem lies with the rotor, otherwise I may have to stop by Phantasm to figure out what the problem is.

I think coilovers may be out of my budget for what I want. I need something with a near-stock ride quality, which is why I was going with a mild setup designed for the Supra. I'm about to start piecing together my turbo kit and coilovers would run me an extra $900.

Do you know any places locally that can do ceramic coating?
Old 04-08-08, 09:24 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

HPC coating in Greensboro does ceramic coating. They also have thermal coating available. Have dealt with them before and would recommend them. PM me your number Matt I'll give u a call when we are meeting up and you should come by and we can talk about your turbo setup.
Old 04-09-08, 06:29 AM
PJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
PJ - I dont know if I've met you but would love to check your ride sometime. A friend of mine is working on a SC300 as well and I am looking into getting a SC300 and doing a 2JZ GTE swap for a customer.
Hey, yeah. I don't know if the ride is much to see, but yeah, whenever. Actually, I just bumped this thread for a possible mini-meet tonite or tomorrow. I'm gonna be travelling for the next 3 weeks straight, so was trying to see if anyone wanted to get together in the next couple days.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...297612&page=13
Old 04-09-08, 07:32 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah but he is the Only Importer and Main Distributer for D2 in the US, other ware house is in Cali. I didn't say he owns D2.

That means i am a D2 tester as well, cuz i got 3 cars with full D2 suspension, sucks as; Big brake kit, Toe ends, coil overs, air jack setup, control arms, camber kit and etc. Most of it was free so i am basically sponsored
Its cool that you're a tester for D2 as well. I'm not here to bicker on who has the most D2 parts on there cars or how many cars they have. But I've had my fair share of parts from D2. Just ask michael how many sets of coilovers I've had come in through him over the years.... And as far as having crap loads of parts on your car, what's the point of having all these so-called "race-parts" if you don't have suspension dynamics or data acquisition system with a reliable telemetry to back it up? Can you say... Overkill???
Old 04-09-08, 07:36 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kuWuPt
Alexus_300 - Mike does own Urban, and as far as you testing stuff for D2's are concerned. That's cool. What year GS do you have D2's on? How does it ride? Spring rates?
KuWuPt, I have a 2001 GS among other vehicles. The ride on my car is how I like it, but not rough or bouncy at all. Spring rates are custom set to my setup. They are set at fractional of a kg. It is not the stock D2 preset due to custom valving I had setup for my car.