Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

2008 Tail of the Dragon meet. 8/30 - 9/1/08

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 10:41 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will there be a caravan going down?
Old 08-26-08, 06:23 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ When are you heading down? We're leaving out of Raleigh,NC @ 12 Friday.
Old 08-28-08, 07:45 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

trying to figure things out last minute =/
Old 08-28-08, 09:35 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Read This

We're all excited about this meet and the challenging driving, but the worst thing that could happen would be someone getting hurt. So let's keep it safe on the group drive. We will have some safety rules to follow for the drive "on the Dragon", and will stagger cars in groups according to model & suspension modifications.
Of course we can't possibly enforce all these guidelines, but the complexity of the Dragon warrants making sure we think about some common sense rules that can help keep this drive a safe event. It's up to each participating driver to make sure this happens.

We will discuss the safety rules prior to our Dragon drive. Please review them before coming to the meet and give us any feedback and suggestions or additions that can make our meet a safe one.
  1. Follow posted rules and regulations (speed limit, road cautions, etc).

The Dragon is a very dangerous road when you 'push it'. Several motorcyclists have lost their lives in past years and the speed limit in some areas has been dropped from 40mph to 30mph. Even at the lower speeds, the course will offer plenty of challenge. Speed limits in the Deal's Gap area in particular are strictly enforced.
  2. Exercise your good sense and take extra caution

Follow some good sense rules here. We have a fairly competitive driving profile for our group of enthusiasts, but this ISN'T a competition. As such:
    • Please don't tailgate the person in front of you. We will establish some guidelines for requesting pullover/passing.
    • Don't assume how tight a turn will be, even if you think you can see around it. There are switchbacks and curves beyond what you expect on this road and the driver in front of you may have suddenly slowed.
    • NO DRIFTING. This is especially important for the safety of motorcyclists coming the other direction.
    • Be observant. There will be other folks out there that are not as safe as our group will be. There may also be some logging trucks that create obstacles.
  3. Turn Headlights ON

This one is simple - please turn on your headlights for the additional visibility. Plus it looks cool in photos.
  4. Grouping for Safety:

We're going to leave in groups according to suspension capabilities and driver comfort, as defined below. Lead drivers for the group will be named at the meet.
    • Level 0 - Ultra Capability Handling Group. This group includes IS-F, Porsche, NSX, S2000, and modified IS300
    • Level 1 - High Capability Group. This group includes IS300's,2IS's suspension modified SC4/SC3 or suspension modified GS4/GS3. Suspension modified means at least upgraded springs/shocks and swaybars (or combination of other suspension component upgrades).
    • Level 2 - Sport Capability Group. This group includes GS4/GS3, SC4/SC3, suspension modified LS4, and suspension modified ES.
    • Level 3 - Factory Handling Group. This group includes LS, RX, LX, GX, ES, etc
    • Safety Group - will be looking for cars in trees and gullies; those pulled over by the fuzz, etc. and will wait to make sure we all complete the drive.
    The list above isn't intended to offend anyone

Please don't try to catch the next group.... Remember this isn't a competition. Within each group drivers will have different capabilities, so we'll plan on a 3-5 minute time gap between each group.
  5. Passing Rules:

The entire portion of 129 known as the Dragon is DOUBLE YELLOW (no on-road passing).
    First - give the driver in front a chance to get comfortable with the road. We'll have a number of predetermined spots for pull-offs and pictures; the best chance to re-organize the group is that time.

Except for the large gravel starting area, the pullovers on the Dragon are only large enough for 4/5 cars, and the overlook will fit about 10 cars.

If you CAN'T wait, use your Motorola to check status on the person in front of you (call out a description if you don't know them) and request a pass. Barring that, use your headlights OR be patient and wait for the next safe area to change position.

There are several little pullovers that will hold 1 or 2 cars specifically for passing - please use them and allow a pass to occur. Please do not do a complete two-lane (over the double yellow line) pass during this event.
  6. Pictures and Video:

Unless there is a video hard-mount in your car OR you have a passenger taking the photo/video, please do NOT take pictures during the drive unless you're pulled over at an overlook or other spot and your car is stopped. If the car behind you has a passenger and you'd like for them to take some action pictures for you with your own camera - ask them!

A second consideration for videos is evidence in case we are pulled over. Of course if we follow all the regulations and posted limits, etc. this isn't an issue. HOWEVER, we don't want any cool video we shoot to show up in court. If you have any tape of drives prior to the Dragon drive, please leave it in your hotel. I'd suggest you discuss the fact you will be shooting video with the two cars immediately in front and behind you to make sure they are comfortable with it. We can re-arrange the group lineup as needed if you are concerned about being on an upcoming episode of 'COPS'.
  7. Communications:

All cars should try to have a communications device to call/ask for help. We're using Motorola (or similar) FRS radios and cell phones as backup. The initial frequency our group will use is 15 / 1. We'll make sure all the radios can receive that frequency before leaving for the drives. There may be some available to borrow if you do not have one or want to purchase one yourself.

We'll distribute at least two cellular phone numbers to the group to contact if they get in trouble outside of the dragon. CELL PHONES WILL NOT WORK IN THE DRAGON.

We highly suggest that you use hands-free devices or speaker when driving - or pull over to talk.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Last edited by HKS350; 08-28-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 11:43 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I think I have a wingman.

To be in Raleigh by noon, I'mma have to leave real early lol
Old 08-28-08, 01:30 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Def. come.... We have some awesome roads picked out this year. I Pm'ed my P#.
Old 08-29-08, 07:43 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Alright folks.. on the road see everyone there. Be safe.
Old 08-29-08, 07:30 PM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Knoxville and my wife and I will probably head up to the Dragon in the morning hope to see you all on the road.

Have a safe trip, see ya tomorrow.
Old 08-29-08, 11:59 PM
NYC_kid
Pole Position

Have fun guys i would have loved to come by... please post pics when you get back
Old 09-01-08, 01:26 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GWT3
I live in Knoxville and my wife and I will probably head up to the Dragon in the morning hope to see you all on the road.

Have a safe trip, see ya tomorrow.
Dude, we saw you coming down the Dragon!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-08, 06:10 AM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

I saw you too, it was about 1:30. I was going to try and turn around but was unable too. I hope you all have had a great time. The weather has been great for the weekend.

I've been looking for the pictures to come up on the internet sites, I'm hoping some will be up on 129photos.com today.

Sorry I couldn't hook up with you all this time, you need to come back when the leaves are changing color.
Old 09-01-08, 10:07 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Sounds like fun. We were thinking about maybe going to Myrtle Beach in the Spring. 129photos isn't working on my computer so I've been checking back on killboy.com
Old 09-01-08, 12:40 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Taking the curves

Tree Musketears

Man I can't park for shiznit

Dres2kil

Phat350

Nabbun

Semi clean lip

Pretty clean lip

So dirty I focused on the picnic tables behind me

Last edited by nabbun; 09-01-08 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 12:46 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Show ready

Performance ready

WTF??? Off roading capability???

Pwned . . .

That pearl effect has grown on me sooo effing much

He even has them on his rims . . .

Sunset . . .

Ride out . . .

Last edited by nabbun; 09-01-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 01:28 PM
GWT3
Driver School Candidate

Some pics have been posted on US129Photos.com

Dragon Pics

We are down about half way

Quick Reply: 2008 Tail of the Dragon meet. 8/30 - 9/1/08