Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Roebling Road Drivers Education TRACK EVENT May 2 & 3, 2009 near Savannah GA

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 08:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Cool Roebling Road Drivers Education TRACK EVENT May 2 & 3, 2009 near Savannah GA

Please note I am updating this post as we get clarifications on any questions from posts below.

There is a twice-annual drivers education (DE) event put on by "the Dark Side" www.darksidede.com <click the center logo gif to get to details> on May 2nd and 3rd, 2009 at Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah, Georgia. This group also is focused on charity, not profit which is a nice change (this time it's the Boys & Girls Club of Hilton Head Island who are showing up for a Family Parade).

My wife drives her E36 M3 track car at these events and I come down to take pictures and be her pit crew / designated windshield washer. We've done the last four Dark Side DEs and I asked the organizers if it was OK to invite the Lexus folks to their party and got the OK!

The Dark Side used to be the DE organizers for a local PCA (Porsche) group but split off last year. All marques are now welcome at their event - just make sure your car is in good, safe working order (no leaks). The event follows the general PCA rules and you can take your car out with OEM safety equipment. You'll need a helmet, which I believe they rent at the track (PM me if you want me to confirm) and you'll need to have your car tech inspected before you come at pretty much any shop or mechanic does it free or max $25 (form here).

If you've never done a DE Roebling is a nice track to learn on... relatively new pavement with a good combination of straights and challenging turns. Lots of run off if you miss a turn without concrete walls to stop you. You will be assigned an instructor to coach you. If you aren't certain you want to do it, they offer a "Taste of the Track" which will show you what its all about. One other thing they've done this time is offer insurance for the DE if your own insurance doesn't cover driving events (some do, some don't, most are evasive about answering).

If you are already a solo qualified driver you can also sign up to do a three day event on the 1st/2nd/3rd, with the 1st just an open lapping day / test & tune. You get a LOT of track time on the 1st - very much worth it if you have the appropriate DE background already. It's an extra $150.

The cost for Darkside non-members for 2 days is $250 before April 14. I also believe that this will get you a membership to any future Darksidede events.

I'd love to see some Lexus guys join us at this event. It's a nice group with beer & BBQ after driving time shuts down on Saturday at the track.

The site linked at the top has all the info on the event (schedules, recommended hotels, forms, track map, etc) so I won't recreate it all here. For registration you'll need to fill out the form linked here and mail in your check. If you've been to a Darkside event previously you can use the the http://www.clubregistration.net site.

I'm including some FAQ from the fall post of this event that may be helpful below:

What's the Roebling Road track like?
Not the best quality upload, but here is a video of my wife at the last Darkside DE in her M3 doing one lap on the track.

The track graphic and gauge stuff at the bottom is from her data acquisition system (w/ gps) - she's still adding more sensors and getting it set up right so they're a little wonky. You can see the speed at the bottom right, she hits about 130 mph in the front straight.

I'm worried I'll crash my Lexus, any suggestions?
It's always a concern and a risk in a high performance driving event. Your instructor will help keep things safe and under control and most all "off road" excursions I've seen end up just with a lot of dust and flying grass. If you are concerned about the potential for damage, I'd recommend getting drivers education-specific insurance which has been arranged for this event at this link. Your own insurance MIGHT cover this since it isn't a race or timed event and is an educational event... but for a minimial price I'd just get the DE insurance if you're worried.

Can I bring family? Kids?
Yes, spectators are welcome to come and watch. Kids are fine too, but need to be watched even with fencing around the track and corner works... lots of fast cars and hot brakes around. There is a minor fee for track access for the weekend ($5 or $10, can't recall which) per person including drivers... this is collected by the track, not Darkside.

What should I pack?
I'll post my checklist that we use later.

Can I use my certified motorcycle helmet?
For the Dark Side and many other Driver Ed providers have claimed M helmets (which stands for multi-purpose) as NOT acceptable. The biggest point has to do with fire protection, but there is a lot more to it. Here is what MVP out of California writes about it and kept it simple:

What Are the Differences Between the SA, M and K Standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting.* There are three major differences between them:
  • The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
  • The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
  • The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not

I don't have a helmet, do you know if there is a place I can rent or buy one onsite?
Discovery Parts (the onsite parts vendor for this event at Roebling) sells is $145 and I'd guess that you may not want the cheapest one once you have it on your head.

In case you don't have a helmet and don't have a local spot to rent one, a little googling found that OG Racing rents both open and full face helmets for a 10 day period at $25 and $35, respectively. I'd recommend the full face helmet for the improved safety. OG is near Summit Point in VA so it shouldn't take too long for shipping. I used it last fall and worked great.

Link for helmet rental --> http://ogracing.blogspot.com/2008/08...t-rentals.html

Can I get pictures of me on the track?
I'll ususally take a gang of pictures during these events (use a 400mm lens with our DSLR) so you'll also get a bunch of free quality on-track pictures. There usually is a pro photographer offering prints as well.

What else is there in the track?
Once you're inside the track you're there until between run groups (the parking area is in the middle of the track). It's great access to all vantages of the track, but limits your options on going to get food/drink or parts unless you plan. There IS a decent little snack shop with hot food onsite that will be open.

Not sure if they will have rebuilt the tower that blew down in last year's hurricane, but it was a cool place to hang out over the track and watch / take pictures. Another thing (not guaranteed to be open, but they've had it open the last four times we've been at Roebling).... in the tech inspection area there is a set of drive-on corner balance scales so you can get a printout of your car's precise weight. Pretty interesting to know.

Here's a map of the track so you can get an idea of what it looks like

Where should we stay (hotel)?
We typically stay at a hotel in Pooler GA. The new 'host' hotel for this event is the Hawthorn Suites (4 Stephen S Green Drive (I-95 Exit 104) Savannah, GA 31408 US Phone: 912-966-0020). Krista and the other folks usually shop around for rates but at $79 including breakfast and internet this sounds pretty cheap. I'll update this FAQ once we check them out and make our reservations in case folks want to stay at the same hotel.

If you're inclined and want a budget alternative or have an RV, I believe Roebling also has a camping option with showers and electric/water hookup.

If you have other questions please post up and let me know. Jackie who organizes this event also will likely chime in to correct any info I got wrong or need to add

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-10-09 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 09:30 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what I've been looking for dave. I guess I need to get all my parts together and prep that little GS for some track lesson. Dave, the fee is for two days of driving along with an instructor right? Is it restricted to having one car per person or you can bring multiple cars and switch them for each day of driving event? Also, I'm assuming that the price is per person driving so that means two people can't split up the fee and drive the same car right? These are some of the questions I liked to know as I would like to add it to the suspension thread that I created.
Old 03-09-09, 09:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Curses. Why couldn't it be the next weekend on my birthday?

We'll be in the Bahamas for our 5th Anniversary on the 2nd and 3rd...
Old 03-10-09, 07:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Dave, the fee is for two days of driving along with an instructor right?
That is correct, here are the fees that apply.

Entry Fee Type Fee
Member $225.00
Member - registered after April 14 $250.00
Non-Member $250.00
Non-Member registered after April 14 $275.00
Taste of the Track $25.00

You guys will all be 'non-members' since you haven't been to a Darkside event before. Entry typically includes a t-shirt and some trinket (lapel pin last time).

"Taste of the Track" is for friends and family that come with you that get strapped into a volunteer instructor's car for a ride around the track so they see what it's like.

The only other fee (and something I recommend signing up for) is for BBQ dinner at the track. It's an extra $10 per person attending and you see it on the 'additional fees and options' on the ClubRegistrations site.

Is it restricted to having one car per person or you can bring multiple cars and switch them for each day of driving event?
I'll let Jackie respond to that question, not sure... I've seen people have their first car have some failure and then bring a second car the next day, but not coming planning on doing that.

Also, I'm assuming that the price is per person driving so that means two people can't split up the fee and drive the same car right?
Yes, the fee is per person. Two people can drive the same car, but you'd need to be in different run groups. I'll also ask Jackie to respond if they are expecting enough green students (Vu, I'm assuming this is the first DE for both drivers) to have two run groups with instructors to do that.
Old 03-10-09, 08:32 AM
DarkSideDE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much Dave. This is wonderful and brings a smile to my face.

First correction - is our host hotel. The DE groups were asked to leave our previous hotel or use them to cater and if not, get ready for a higher rate. Florida Crown Region, PCA and Al and I went on a hotel quest. We checked out many in the area. We made Hawthorn Suites by the Savannah/HHI Int'l Airport our new host hotel.
They are $79 per night. They are suites - so if you are sharing, it's perfect. Another club has assigned 3 to a room (one in the living room on the pull out couch, the some of the bedrooms have two queen size beds - and all bedrooms have a door!) In the morning, they will start serving an American Southern Buffet at 6 a.m. (including eggs!).

Hawthorn Suites
4 Stephen S Green Drive (I-95 Exit 104)
Savannah, GA 31408 US
Phone: 912-966-0020
Complimentary Full American Breakfast/Southern Buffet will be served at 6 a.m. on Saturday & Sunday
Features: Business Center; Gym/Fitness Center; Free Hi-Speed Internet; Heated Outdoor Pool

To come and watch, the gate charges a $5.00 entry fee. You sign a waiver receive an armband, and that is good for the whole weekend.

Friday Lapping Day is hosted by the track. They do not want any spectators there during the day. However, we do tech at the track in the afternoon, and that is when non-participants will be allowed in. If you are at the track Friday, please make sure to sign the "weekend waiver" so you don't have to wait on long lines Saturday morning.

Everything else looks good. (Membership is a yearly membership fee. The 2008 dues, because it was our first year, included 2009.)

Thank you for promoting the HPDE Insurance. If anyone has any questions about it, I'll invite Ryan Staub of Lockton-Affinity to join us here and answer them.

If you have any questions, Dave has always been a strong supporter and knows most answers - if not, I'm here, I'll be back.

And I hope we get to see you at the track...

P.S. Dave - Dutch's Carerra GT - has been sold! That's the one in your signature...
Old 03-10-09, 08:49 AM
DarkSideDE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Curses. Why couldn't it be the next weekend on my birthday?

We'll be in the Bahamas for our 5th Anniversary on the 2nd and 3rd...
Then try to save us November 6-7. As Dave pointed out, we do this twice a year.

Oh and we've added another charity - we support CAPA - Child Abuse Prevention Association http://www.islc.net/capa/ and of course, we still support the Boys & Girls Club of Hilton Head http://www.bgchhi.org

We expect many more children for Family Parade. Oh, and I forgot to tell you - we have a special guest speaker for the children - and everyone is welcome to listen in - Officer Jim Griner of C.A.I.R. - Cops Against Illegal Racing. http://www.copscair.org

Dave, the fee is for two days of driving along with an instructor right? Is it restricted to having one car per person or you can bring multiple cars and switch them for each day of driving event? Also, I'm assuming that the price is per person driving so that means two people can't split up the fee and drive the same car right? These are some of the questions I liked to know ...
Hi Alexus, if you have experience as a solo with a recognized club - then you are qualified for Friday's Lapping Day. That has a fee of $150 pre-registered or $175 if you just show up to the track.

Saturday and Sunday is the actual Dark Side Driver Ed. For non-members it is $250 for both days. As Dave mentioned, the addition fee you may want to consider is $10 per person for our Saturday night BBQ. Oh, and of course, if you'd like to buy an extra shirt, we charge for that too... (not many do.)

In both cases, the price is per person. As for a second car, it would need to be teched. We have only had one person ever bring two cars, they knew the first one would break down, but needed to "tune" it up on the track. We need to know that the car you bring is track worthy - or as Dave wrote - "no leaks." If you are not aware, if your car does leak oil, the track does hand you a bill for how much kitty litter they use to clean it up and for the labor to do so. It just happened this past December to a person whose car should not have been out there. It closes down the track in some instances, and that makes for a lot of sad (and angry) faces. I haven't seen a lynch mob yet - and I don't want to...

We've also had it where 3 people have shared one car. That was cute scene, driver #1 was in green, driver #2 was in white and never noticed the gas was low, ignoring the warning signals -- and driver #3 Black hopped in and drove until there was no more gas. We had to have him towed off the track. Yep, things happen. Sharing is fine, as long as the sharees are not in the same run group.

All in all, we have been told we have a nice reputation, a good crowd to be with at the track and we strongly believe in the "Safety of all, not the fun of one."

If you have any more questions - please fire away...
Old 03-10-09, 09:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Jackie,

For registration do people have to fill out both the clubregistration and the online Darkside form from your website? Or pick one?

ps, since the host hotel changed don't forget to update
http://www.darksidede.com/Sponsors.html which is why I assumed the same place as previous events

Alexus - one other thing Jackie didn't mention that relates to your two cars question... she tries to match the instructor to the car. If possible someone that drives a similar car, if not then at least match a RWD instructor with RWD driver (or FWD or AWD). I think if you're considering bringing both the GS and Supra for yourself they'd be similar cars from a drivetrain perspective and wouldn't be an issue. If you're looking at dissimilar cars (like the Contour) it could get more complex.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-10-09 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-10-09, 10:38 AM
DarkSideDE
Driver School Candidate

Alexus - when you asked if you could bring two cars - I am sorry, I assumed you were a track junkie. If you are just starting out - please only bring one car - your daily driver. Our instructors teach you how to control your car as well as making you aware of your surroundings -- that would be lost if you are switching cars.

Thanks Dave for the ooops left on our site. I've sent Al a note about it.

Registration - if you've never been with the Dark Side before, please fill in an application and snail mail it to me. If you have been to a Dark Side event before, please register at www.clubregistration.net and mail in the check. If you've never been with us and want to fill in the info at clubregistration.net - you may, if you are having difficulties no sweat - I'll fill it in for you with the info you supply, give you a password that you may change to something you are more comfortable with.

Also Dave, one other thing I'd like you to know about student/instructor pairing. Yes, it is done a lot based on the car the student bring, and which instructor we knows knows how to drive it. But it also has to do with personality match up. And if we made a mistake, we like the students to know they can talk to our Chief Driving Instructor (CDI) Serge de la Bruyere, and he will, with a smile, switch the student with another instructor. We try hard to make sure everyone is happy and comfortable.
Old 03-10-09, 10:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Just a quick note on cars already registered.

Code:
1993 BMW 325 IS (Blue)		Black - Instructor
1995 BMW M3 (Blue)		Black - Instructor
1998 Acura NSX (Yellow)		Black - Instructor
2005 Lotus Elise (Blue)		Black - Instructor
1989 BMW 325i (Red)		Black - Instructor
2002 Nissan Sentra (Black)		Black - Instructor
1985 Porsche 911 (Beige)		Black - Track Junkie
2005 Mazda RX-8 (Silver)		Black - Track Junkie
2007 Honda S2000 (Yellow)		Black - Track Junkie
2008 Lotus Exige S (Laser Blue)		Black - Track Junkie
2005 Mazda RX-8 (Gray)		Black - Track Junkie
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Black)		Black - Track Junkie
1996 Chevrolet Corvette (Red/White)		Black - Track Junkie
1986 Porsche Carrera (Black)		Black - Track Junkie
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Titanium Gray)		Black - Track Junkie
1989 Porsche 944 (Gray)		Black - Track Junkie
2003 Porsche 996 (Blue)		Black - Track Junkie
2007 Mazda RX-8 (Black)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1993 Nissan 300zx (Red)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2005 Porsche Boxster (987) (Atlas Grey)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (Black)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1998 Honda Civic (Green)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1977 Porsche 930 (White)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2009 Porsche 911 Targa S (Meteor Gray)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2008 Volkswagen GTI (United Grey)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2007 Porsche GT3 (White)		Blue - Needs Seat Time (solo)
2004 Honda S2000 (Grey)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1998 Volkswagen GTI (Silver)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1985 Porsche 944 (Black)		Blue - Needs Seat Time (solo)
1986 BMW 325 (White)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2008 Porsche Cayman (Macademia)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
2008 Audi RS4 (Black)		Blue - Needs Seat Time
1972 Porsche 914 (White)		Classroom Instructor
2003 BMW 330i (Steel Blue)		Event Organizers
2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro (Silver)		Event Organizers
2008 Porsche Cayman S (Meteor Grey)		Green - Novice
2006 MINI Cooper S (Blue)		Green - Novice
1994 Nissan 300zx (Black)		Green - Novice
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Yes)		Green - Novice
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Grey)		Green - Novice
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Black)		Green - Novice
1995 Dodge Viper RT/10 (Green)		Green - Novice
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse (Red)		Green - Novice
1998 Honda Civic (Green)		Green - Novice
1995 BMW 318i (Green)		Green - Novice
2006 Porsche 997 (Invisible)		Green - Novice
2007 Porsche 911 Carrera S (Black)		Green - Novice
1997 Porsche 993 4S (Black)		Orange - DE Team/Instructor
2004 Pagani Zonda (Silver)		Orange - DE Team/Instructor
2007 MINI Cooper S (Pepper White)		Red - Instructor
2004 Porsche GT3 Cup (White)		Red - Instructor
1993 Mazda Miata (Black)		Red - Instructor
2005 Lotus Elise (Blue)		Red - Instructor
1991 GMC Syclone (Black)		Red - Instructor
1987 BMW 325is (Gray)		Red - Instructor
1986 Porsche 951 (White)		Red - Instructor
1997 Panoz Esperante (White)		Red - Instructor
2007 Lotus Exige (Red)		Red - Instructor
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Gray)		Red - Instructor
2004 BMW M3 (Silver)		Red - Instructor
1987 Pontiac Grand Prix (Winston Cup)		Red - Instructor
2004 Subaru STi (Blue)		Red - Instructor
2007 Porsche 997 C4S (Red)		Red - Instructor
1974 Porsche 914 (Black)		Safety Steward
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Velocity Red)		Taste of the Track
2004 Mazda RX-8 (Black)		Taste of the Track
1995 BMW M3 (Red)		White - Solo
2002 Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06 (Blue)		White - Solo
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra (Black)		White - Solo
2008 Subaru STi (Black)		White - Solo
1989 BMW 325i (White)		White - Solo
2008 Porsche Boxster (Orange)		White - Solo
1996 BMW 318ti (Blue)		White - Solo
1988 Porsche 924S (Black)		White - Solo
1988 Porsche 911 (Gold)		White - Solo
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Platinum Metallic)		White - Solo
2004 Dodge SRT-4 (Black & Blue)		White - Solo
1993 Porsche 968 (Black)		White - Solo
2007 Nissan 350Z (Carbon Silver)		White - Solo
1997 Mazda Miata (Red)		White - Solo

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-10-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-10-09, 02:21 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for clearing up my questions Jackie. The reason whey I asked about bringing both cars is because I will be driving in one while my friend David will be driving the other. They are pretty much prep for track use now as I rarely ever drive either car. My daily driver is either a 4runner or camry and I don't think that is track worthy. Dave, as far as pairing me up with an instructor, I'll be in the novice group likely. My friend David will probably be in one of the upper group as he has his solo license. I'll check with him and update you on it.
Old 03-10-09, 03:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks Vu - Jackie and Darkside will do all the instructor pairing and determination of which group everyone will run in based on past DE experience, number of events at Roebling, etc. Check the registration form I linked in the first post to see what info she's gathering.
Old 03-10-09, 05:31 PM
DarkSideDE
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for clearing up my questions Jackie. ... My friend David will probably be in one of the upper group as he has his solo license. I'll check with him and update you on it.
You are very welcome. I must ask, has your friend ever been to a DE before? I ask because it is not racing, and everyone that attends needs to know the etiquette of the track so we all get along -- safely.
Old 03-10-09, 05:34 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys! So youre coming back down to Savannah! Awesome! This year I will actually put it on my calander.. If you havnt already booked rooms, I have several friends that own hotels. I could possibly talk to them to try to get you guys a deal worked out. One of my close friends owns one called Quality Inn in Pooler, GA off of I-95 and Hwy 80. It is an older hotel, but a place to stay anyway. I am going to spread the word to some of my local friends in our corvette club and other scene.. If you guys would want to meet up and maybe meet up for dinner i could take you guys to some good local places.
Old 03-10-09, 06:45 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
You are very welcome. I must ask, has your friend ever been to a DE before? I ask because it is not racing, and everyone that attends needs to know the etiquette of the track so we all get along -- safely.
Jackie, this is the first DE for both of us as we both really compete in HPDE events.
Old 03-11-09, 04:57 AM
DarkSideDE
Driver School Candidate

Jackie, this is the first DE for both of us as we both really compete in HPDE events.
I'm a bit lost here, and would truly like to understand. Our DE is an HPDE. Can I ask what you mean by "both really compete in HPDE events"? Confused, because there is no competition in HPDE events....

Quick Reply: Roebling Road Drivers Education TRACK EVENT May 2 & 3, 2009 near Savannah GA