Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

BE ADVISED: GA speeding ticket-writing-bonanza begins August 1st

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 01:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BE ADVISED: GA speeding ticket-writing-bonanza begins August 1st

Starting Aug 1, Georgia will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime. The rest to help with dwindling budgets. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 main intersections and highways. They are the following:

I-20 east and west
I-75 north and south
I-85 north and south
I-675 north and south
GA-985 north and south
GA-316 east and west
GA-400 north and south

5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes.

They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger Police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on full time. If you work in the Atlanta area, you will probably take one of these highways. It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you.

WSB and WXIA & CBS confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you.

Look for city and county governments to adopt similar polices in the near future.
Old 07-22-10, 03:07 PM
LexFather

It's been years since I got a ticket and I got 2 from GSP recently for speeding B.S sp watch your backs.

Rape the taxpayers for dangerous speeding! Lame
Old 07-22-10, 06:40 PM
charris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this on email earlier today. Good lookin out tho!
Old 07-22-10, 07:35 PM
BigLexx
Rookie

Good looking out, looks like I'll be taking the streets to I285 (Eastside) to get to HartsfieldJackson for work.
Old 07-22-10, 11:24 PM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Still have to pay my Super Speeder fine. Yay for me! 86mph in a 55
Old 07-23-10, 06:55 AM
spiehler
Driver School Candidate

MYTH! Just wanted to let y'all know, this is an old Internet rumor that just got updated for the ATL.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp
Old 07-23-10, 08:04 AM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GA/Atlanta Members - Beware the Interstates

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but I felt the need to warn everyone that lives and drives in the Atlanta metro area. I received this from one of my bike/motorcycle forums:

***Starting Aug 1, Georgia will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers' overtime. The rest to help with dwindling budgets. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 main intersections and highways. They are the following:

I-20 east and west
I-75 north and south
I-85 north and south
I-675 north and south
GA-985 north and south
GA-316 east and west
GA-400 north and south

5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger Police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part timers on full time. If you work in the Atlanta area, you will probably take one of these highways. It's up to you how fast you are going when they clock you. WSB and WXIA & CBS confirmed all of this. So be safe people***

Watch out for the GSB and other 5.0 people, keep it at or below the speed limit everyone.

Trending Topics

Old 07-23-10, 05:28 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another urban myth: Georgia State Patrol planning 'speeding frenzy' crackdown

http://www.ajc.com/news/another-urba...ia-577141.html

By Rhonda Cook

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Is the Georgia State Patrol about to start a month-long “speeding frenzy” to raise $9 million for the state? Nope. Not true.

And none of the other states said to have had similar campaigns did either.

It’s an urban myth that began circulating electronically as far back as 2006 and has resurfaced this week.

The warnings are the virtually the same except for the name of the state and the interstates and highways that will be targeted.

The warning making the rounds now cites an article in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on July 19 as the source; but there was no such article.

And there’s no plan for a “30-day speeding frenzy” on metro Atlanta interstates, said Gordy Wright, spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol.

“We’ll be doing a media advisory statewide. It’s a hoax,” Wright told the AJC on Friday.

This same warning has been spread via e-mail since at least 2005 but for other states.

A check of Snopes.com, a website that tests the veracity of claims appearing in e-mails, on blogs and Web sites, results in an article with the headline “Speeding ticket frenzy.”

The claim: “state police are about to launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy in” and it lists a dozen cities or states -- New Jersey; Tri-Cities area in Tennessee (or all of Tennessee); Dallas (or all of Texas); Orange County, Calif.; Detroit (or all of Michigan); Honolulu, Hawaii; Pittsburgh (or all of Pennsylvania); South Carolina; Oklahoma; Louisville, Ky. (or all of Kentucky); Portland, Oregon; and Atlanta.”

There also are warnings on the Internet for Alabama and Florida.

Georgia is the only one current; the GPS month-long crackdown is supposed to start Aug. 1.

The warning is being distributed mostly via e-mail but it also appears on message boards for Lexus, BMW, Pontiac G8 and Harley Davidson.

The purpose of the speeding crackdown is allegedly to generate $9 million. The warning says $1 million will cover overtime for troopers and “the rest [will go] to help with dwindling budgets.”

Under Georgia law, revenue from speeding fines goes to the counties where the stop was made and not to the state, Wright said.

And there are other inaccuracies, at least as Georgia is concerned:

-- “Five mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 to 20 minutes.”

“A trooper can write a ticket for 1 mile over the speed limit,” Wright said, adding that local police agencies can write tickets only for drivers going at least 10 miles over the limit.

-- “They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Dodge Charger police cruisers and are bringing in all of their part-timers on full time.”

First of all, Wright said, GSP doesn’t have unmarked cars. Secondly, there are no part-time troopers.

-- Targeted roadways are Interstates 20, 75, 85 and 675. I-285, the Perimeter, is not included. The list also includes “Georgia 985,” which is an interstate and not a state road.

-- “Look for city and county governments to adopt similar polices in the near future.”

Wright said GSP has been getting calls from the media as well as “several concerned citizens’ asking if it’s true.

It’s not.
Old 07-24-10, 11:04 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, someone from my forum looked it up on snopes as well and found the same thing. My thing is every lie is based on a truth no matter how small or large it may be. I will still keep my eyes open just incase.
Old 07-25-10, 01:56 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad I moved from that BULL***** state. No ticket defenders, billy bob cops cool with the judges, speeding tickets for 5 miles over. The state is pure highways who does 55mph on a damn near 7 lane highway.