Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Ga HB 386 new tag system opt in

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 09:43 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ga HB 386 new tag system opt in

I have been searching on the web and the Ga department of revenue website and I see a form to opt in but there are no instructions on how to do so or how to even pay if I need to. Since I purchased my car in Oct of last year I qualify to op into the new tag system and would like to as their online calculator is saying I wouldn't need to pay anything where as under the old system the payment is just over $700. My birthday is later this month, and since the opt in just started yesterday does anyone know any more information as the ga department of revenues website and faq is no help at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to opt in and hopefully someone here already contacted the dmv, I attempted to yesterday but after being on hold for an hour I hung up.
Old 03-02-13, 10:34 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

My freaking car still hasnt been tagged yet by the stupid dealer. Im opting in when I finally get registered.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/D...B386_OptIn.pdf

^^that should tell you what to do.

From what I gather, go to your county DMV>fill out form MV-14> go to counter and show them your bill of sale/paperwork that shows how much sales tax you paid on your car> IF your sales tax paid is greater than what the state says you owe THEN its just free opt in and you will only pay the $20 tag fee come your birthday every year from here on out> OR you will just need to make up the difference in what you already paid in sales tax and what the state says you owe... which regardless even if you do need to pay some, it will be less than $700 which is what your ad valorem would be for this year alone.

Hope I helped
Old 03-02-13, 10:46 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Damn, thanks their web site sucks, I saw that form MV-14 but they had no instructions on if you mail it or bring it in. Wonder how long the lines going to be when I go in with all the people wanting to opt in.
Old 03-02-13, 10:49 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Damn, thanks their web site sucks, I saw that form MV-14 but they had no instructions on if you mail it or bring it in. Wonder how long the lines going to be when I go in with all the people wanting to opt in.
np, iv never even looked up the actual form yet lol.I dont think it will be any longer than the normal long lines. Iv been on random days where its a long line, and a diff day at the same dmv and its dead empty almost. What county are you in?
Old 03-02-13, 01:43 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Currently living in Hall county have been wanting to move for a while but now that I started a new job in Suwanee its not such a bad commute any more so just saving up some money now before I purchase a house. I usually would mail in tag renewal on my old car, had to go in twice, first time they had several satellite offices around the county and there was no line or wait at all, second time had to go to the main office in downtown Gainesville since they closed all the satellites and it was a little over an hour wait.
Old 03-02-13, 07:46 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Currently living in Hall county have been wanting to move for a while but now that I started a new job in Suwanee its not such a bad commute any more so just saving up some money now before I purchase a house. I usually would mail in tag renewal on my old car, had to go in twice, first time they had several satellite offices around the county and there was no line or wait at all, second time had to go to the main office in downtown Gainesville since they closed all the satellites and it was a little over an hour wait.
Ah, I live in Gwinnett. Its so hit or miss on wait times.