Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Charlotte NC Meet, Saturday January 18 1pm

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 12:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Default Charlotte NC Meet, Saturday January 18 1pm

Following are the tentative detailed plans for the ClubLexus meet in Charlotte, NC on Saturday January 18.

We're going to meet up at and tour Lowe's Motor Speedway (formerly Charlotte Motor Speedway), then cruise down the road to a drive-in restaurant to hang for a while like the classic car guys do. Then we'll wrap it up with a local area Lexus cruise!

1 PM Meet outside of LMS Main Ticket Entrance
We're going to begin the meet at 1 PM in front of Lowe's Motor Speedway on Saturday.

I'll come back and edit the map below with the exact location we'll meet up next weekend when I can drive up there and check it out. Worst case, just drive around the outside of the speedway and look for all the Lexus autos . I believe it is the area marked "GN Tower".

1:30 PM - Tour of Lowe's Motor Speedway (LMS)

Standard cost of the LMS tour is $5, I'm going to try and get us a group deal since this is the 'off season'. I will also ask if we can take our cars on the track for a photo opportunity, or at least to the infield. No guarantees on this yet!

More LMS Tour Info

With dozens of NASCAR race shops in the region, Lowe's Motor Speedway is truly at the heart of stock car country, and what better way to take the pulse than with a tour of the superspeedway most drivers call home?

Your grand tour of LMS includes a close-up look at areas that are usually off-limits during the battle for points and positions. Go behind the scenes to the Winston Cup Garage; travel down pit road where every second counts and take a picture in the same Victory Circle that has hosted the greatest drivers in NASCAR history.

The highlight of the tour is a comfortable van ride around Charlotte's 1.5-mile oval where you will experience the full-tilt action of our 24-degree banks.

Tours are available on non-event days Monday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Sunday 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. During summer months, tours run until 4:30 p.m. Tour admission is $5 per person (children 3 and under admitted free).

After the tour, set aside some time to browse in the Winston Gift Shop where you'll find one of the largest collections of NASCAR memorabilia on the East Coast.

For more information on LMS, including location and driving directions click here.

3:30 PM (estimated) - Head down to the Sonic Drive-In

Whenever the LMS tour and pictures are over, we'll head down the road to the Sonic Drive-In for a good 'ole Southern car-meet hangout.

The Sonic is located on the same road (Highway 29) the Speedway is, about 5 miles down on the right.

296 HIGHWAY 29 NORTH
CONCORD, NC 28025
(704) 792-1010

I spoke with the Sonic manager and got the green light for our meet, and he'll give us a 15% discount on everything plus free ice cream cones.

After That
We'll hang out there for a while... snack and check out each others rides, then probably head out for a Lexus Cruise to disturb the locals . I can't do any really high speed runs (bent rim in rear) though .

As always, feedback and other ideas appreciated. I'm going to put a call into Hendrick, but doubt they can get us into the Hendrick shop on a Saturday out of season with such short notice.

So far we've got the following list of interested folks (not all 100% confirmed):

DaveGS4
Dex
Daddy-O
KLex (bringing NSX, my GF)
TomTNC
Dipstick
JohnP66
JimSwantko
AZN Lex

Potential Out-of-NC Guests:
1SickLex (Atlanta)
C-Tang (VA Beach)

We'll have a few gifts to raffle out. So far I have a couple of hats courtesy of Hendrick Lexus, and Daddy-O is donating a couple of Meguiar's car care kits.

I'll be sending out my normal email meet notification. Let me know if you're going to come by responding to it or posting here please!

PS, Bitkahuna and I drove by the speedway on a prior meet, here's a pic from outside.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-06-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 01:03 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing as I'm donating stuff to give away, I'll be there,
Old 01-06-03, 12:14 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charlotte LMS meet

Dave, I plan to be there. If anything changes, I'll let you know. Thanks for setting this up. Louie
Old 01-07-03, 12:32 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old 01-07-03, 03:57 PM
titanskj10
Rookie

THX i plan to come and send me more notices for more upcoming events tha Lexus will be sponcering
Old 01-07-03, 06:40 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

I'll for sure be there.
Old 01-07-03, 06:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

SPEEDWAY UPDATE

I spoke with folks at Lowe's speedway today. I'll need to make a reservation for the number of folks who want to take the tour. The tour is $5 (no group discount) and is a motorized tour of the entire facility. They take you through the garage, pits, etc and also do a lap around the track (although you are in a big van which isn't quite as cool as a stock car or our own cars ).

So.... If you're going to attend, please either post here or email me at davegs4@clublexus.com so I can get a headcount to them. The tour we'll take actually starts at 1:45 PM and you get to it through the Smith Tower (the big tower pictured above you see right when you drive in). We'll probably be OK with a few walk-ins, but the closer to accurate I can get, the better chance we have of having enough seats. Let me know if you're bringing a guest(s) that will take the tour.

I've got a call in to a different person (the event manager) to find out if we'll be able to take our cars into the speedway for some pictures. More to follow on that.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-07-03 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Dang, sorry I can't make it, I'll be out of the country. :eek:
Old 01-08-03, 05:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Update - just got off the phone with Lowe's Motor Speedway regarding getting our cars inside the track and it's a no go.

The guy that called me back had me all excited, said we couldn't get onto the track because the Richard Petty Driving Experience course is being held on Saturday, but he could get us onto the infield or even in Victory Circle if we wanted! Then he said, "and we can do that for you for a charge of $500". After I asked him a few questions like "you know we're taking our own pictures and don't need your photographer" and "does anybody actually pay you that to come in and take pictures here?" I told him no thanks.

I asked him about other good picture spots - he told me would could briefly pull our cars up onto the area in front of the tower (the little picture above with the flags in it) and snap pictures there, which isn't too bad. Also said there are several other good vantages to snap pics outside the track. If we get questioned on pulling up in front of the tower "Nathan" in events said we could do it.
Old 01-08-03, 07:06 PM
LexFather

1 Should be in. I should have my shock/spring install Friday the 17th.
Old 01-09-03, 09:04 AM
Shawn
Driver School Candidate

I wish I could. I actually Supervise/Own some Sonic Drive-In's in my area. I would enjoy seeing another drive-in outside of our DMA.

Thanks for the invite, but work is hectic.

Shawn
Old 01-09-03, 09:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Shawn
Thanks for the invite, but work is hectic.

Hopefully next time. Very sharp looking SportCross BTW.
Old 01-11-03, 12:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I asked him about other good picture spots - he told me would could briefly pull our cars up onto the area in front of the tower (the little picture above with the flags in it) and snap pictures there, which isn't too bad. Also said there are several other good vantages to snap pics outside the track. If we get questioned on pulling up in front of the tower "Nathan" in events said we could do it.
FYI Dr Rick got a couple of pictures of his GS (RIP) in front of the tower last time he was up for a meet.

Old 01-13-03, 10:44 AM
LexFather

I'm there!
Old 01-14-03, 02:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

So far we've got about ten people taking the tour with two - four meeting up with us afterwards.

If you are lurking and thinking about going, please post here, PM or email me. I plan to call LMS on Tuesday or Wednesday to make our reservation. We probably could add more if needed, but the more accurate the better.

Quick Reply: Charlotte NC Meet, Saturday January 18 1pm