Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Taming the Dragon...A Road Trip for fun and Adventure!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 06:49 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Taming the Dragon...A Road Trip for fun and Adventure!!

Hello great CL Members!

This is a new thread to gather interest and to confirm a date for all that are interested to "Tame the Dragon". Shane and I (VelocityBall and SC400TT) are starting the planning and organizing for this event that we hope will not only be very fun and successful, but will repeat as an annual event. The location is actually called the Tail of the Dragon and it is located in North Carolina near the North Carolina/Tennessee border. the road is 11 miles long and has 318 curves. We will do this safely with a spearhead driver in front of us to warn us and prepare us of any impending issues with traffic or otherwise so that we can just have fun and enjoy the drive! We will also set up lodging so that we can all rent lodging for grilling, beverages, and getting to know each other and each person's rides across the southeast Club Lexus members. If you have a different vehicle, bring it on. It is primarily a Lexus event, but you don't have to bring your Lexus. Anyway, this is the starter post and thread. So post up your thoughts and ideas, and lets set this event in stone. We are planning this event for the end of May of 2014. We will adjust the date to accommodate the majority of the people planning to attend, but mainly to be sure that we have great weather. Keep in mind that this is in the mountains of NC/TN.

Here is a map of the road:

OK Let's start the list of participants:

1. SC400TT (Ryan)
2. VelocityBall (Shane)
3. ReaperRed
4. greg0126
5. tjmhillz
6. Gville350
7. chnk

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 11-03-13 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 10:53 AM
VelocityBall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow members,
This is one of those "once in a lifetime roads". However, since I live near it, I have driven it many times in many different cars. It is one of the most beautiful roads I have ever seen. I always drive it safely with a spearhead driver on radio with the lead car. This allows for warning of other vehicles and obstacles on the road. The road itself is well maintained and absolutely epic.

Bring anything you want, as long as it has an engine. You don't want to be pedaling a bicycle on this one ;-). I will bring my SC and probably a track prepped mr2.
Old 10-31-13, 11:58 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mods can we link this in the individual model forums on CL?

Mods, can we link this to all the models so we can get great participation and feedback?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 10-31-13, 12:13 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't been to the Dragon in years. I'm a tentative!
Old 10-31-13, 01:23 PM
ReaperRed
Driver School Candidate

This sounds amazing, my SC isn't ready to keep up with most peoples I am sure yet but by may I should be good. I would love to attend.
Old 10-31-13, 01:34 PM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this is a great idea. A few of my friends go every year with their Nissan Club(NICO Forums) they stay at the Fontana Cabins I believe for the weekend. Ive seen pictures and vids and it looks like a good time. I would be interested in going depending on date.
Old 10-31-13, 02:46 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I'd love to participate! For now consider me down as tentative.
Old 11-01-13, 07:23 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sc400TT this sounds like an amazing idea and I've always wanted to meet you and your sc so im down
Old 11-01-13, 08:43 AM
Echo419
Rookie

do this every year with my friends. started as a 3000GT/Stealth thing but it's grown into so much more. a blast of a drive for sure.
http://www.blueridgegathering.com/
Old 11-02-13, 10:22 AM
VelocityBall
Driver

Members,
Don't worry about how much hp you car makes for this road. A stock sc/is/gs, etc will be plenty of fun on this road. My SC is scary overpowered for the dragon. The most fun I have had on the tail was in a 2001 audi s4 with just slight mods in suspension.

Please bring your mom's, dad's, sister's, brother's, uncle's, cousin's, wife's, best friend's car. I guarantee it will be a blast no matter what you drive. I've even had fun on this road in a Volvo s80.

If the tail is too busy when we get there, I know many other roads close by that are fun and no one will be on them.

And put me on that list already Ryan!!
Oh, with +4 other cars and drivers as well.

Last edited by VelocityBall; 11-02-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 07:34 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd really like to attend this, but I'm not sure yet. I'll be keeping tabs though.
Old 11-08-13, 04:47 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is only a few hours from me - if it is over a weekend, count me in!
Old 11-14-13, 07:32 PM
Rdockery25
Driver School Candidate

The dragon is my back yard, sounds like fun.

Richard dockery
Old 11-15-13, 03:26 PM
nvmysc
Driver School Candidate

I'm in Asheville. I'd love to come down and run the Dragon with all you guys. Especially since it's just a day trip for me. And believe it or not, I've never tamed the Dragon. Keep me in the loop on all the details.

Travis

95 sc300 bone stock...for now. With the exception of some Helo 20 inch rims with black centers and 3 inch polished lips.

I just got my shop open so hopefully I will make some mods by May. Looking forward to it.

T
Old 11-20-13, 03:42 PM
Rdockery25
Driver School Candidate

The dragon is an amazing layout of road to ride/drive, I usually ride it on my gsxr. This will be my first group drive. I see lots of different clubs driving through it. Mostly miata, rx 7 and 8s and vettes. Will be a fun drive

Quick Reply: Taming the Dragon...A Road Trip for fun and Adventure!!