Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Deal's Gap, Tail of the Dragon! August 22-24, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 05:46 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daizen sways were ordered yesterday and will be installed for the Gap

Maybe now I'll have a shot at hanging with Daddy-O
Old 08-08-03, 05:28 PM
LexFather

What is now U.S. 129 has been used as a path for travel and trade since before the United States came into being.

A brief history of the highway, found on the Web site operated by motorcyclists Ron and Nancy Johnson, describes how Native Americans once used the road before it became a path for settlers going to Cades Cove from the Parsons Branch Road. The path for the road was likely chosen because it followed Deal’s Gap, a natural break in the mountains between North Carolina and Tennessee.

In 1934, the road was paved the first time and was designated as U.S. 129. Like many early highways, U.S. 129 curves to and fro, following the natural contours of the land like the foot and horse paths that preceded it. It still maintains that character, with more than 300 curves in just over 11 miles.

But from its first paving until the last decade of the 20th century, it was a sleepy road for locals, little known to the outside world.

That all changed when motorcycle enthusiasts discovered the road in the 1990s.

“Each year since then, the number of motorcycles and sports cars has seemingly doubled,” the Johnsons’ Web site reports. “Today, riders and drivers from across the U.S. and Canada come to run the Dragon.”

The road is still remote — it borders the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on one side, and is mostly surrounded by national forests. The Johnsons note that in 14 miles, only one road — North Carolina Highway 28 — crosses it, and only one building, the Deal’s Gap Motorcycle Resort, also known as the Crossroads of Time, sits along the section through Deal’s Gap.

Old 08-08-03, 06:33 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tomtnc
Daizen sways were ordered yesterday and will be installed for the Gap

Maybe now I'll have a shot at hanging with Daddy-O
Where did you order them from? I want some.
Old 08-08-03, 06:39 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Reservation made. I'm going up with the caravan on Fri night. In like Flynn.....
Old 08-08-03, 09:38 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Nevermind. Bit gave me a link to TMEngineering and I ordered the sways from there.

BTW, I asked about how many people had already made reservations for our tail of the dragon meet and the lady said we had about 15 reservations. Seems like a lot of people are either not coming or waiting to the last minute to reserve their room.
Old 08-10-03, 09:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

25 CONFIRMED ATTENDEES!!!!!!!!
http://www.lexusdragon.com/confirmed_attendees.html
Old 08-10-03, 08:33 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
http://www.lexusdragon.com/confirmed_attendees.html
I'm just going by what the lady who took my reservation was saying.
Old 08-11-03, 04:48 AM
LexFather

Site still shows 23?

Old 08-11-03, 05:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Site still shows 23?
Your browser cache needs to be cleared. Keeping the "alt" button pressed, click the refresh icon in your browser window - that will force a page refresh. (remember that the 'alt' button has to be pressed down while you click the refresh icon in your browser window. This is a simultaneous action, not one after the other.)

I updated the site on Saturday to reflect the 25 attendees.

Last edited by Hameed; 08-11-03 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-11-03, 09:20 AM
FREELANCE
Driver

10 days and counting.

Sorry If I have missed any planning in the past week, I was on vacation all week so I was unable to keep myself updated on what all is going on.

25 attendees, that is sweet, I noticed a turbo SC, WHOOO hooo we are all gonna have soo much fun at the dragon....

So who is all coming from Florida, I suggest that we all meet up and caravan to ATL.
Old 08-11-03, 10:06 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by FREELANCE
10 days and counting.

Sorry If I have missed any planning in the past week, I was on vacation all week so I was unable to keep myself updated on what all is going on.

25 attendees, that is sweet, I noticed a turbo SC, WHOOO hooo we are all gonna have soo much fun at the dragon....

So who is all coming from Florida, I suggest that we all meet up and caravan to ATL.
If you guys leave early enough, maybe you can catch us caravaning out of ATL on Fri afternoon.
Old 08-11-03, 10:16 AM
FREELANCE
Driver

I was thinking the same, here is what I am thinking:

I want to leave Thursday night probably around 7:00ish-8:00 drive for about 6 or 7 hours at least get out of florida, then find a place to sleep. Wake up early and meet everyone at Hennessy at the predetermined time which I believe is 3:00, then leaving at 3:30.

How does that sound to you?

I saw that 2 others from Florida are registered for the event, so I am trying to get w/ them to see if these plans will work for them as well.
Old 08-11-03, 11:59 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by FREELANCE
I was thinking the same, here is what I am thinking:

I want to leave Thursday night probably around 7:00ish-8:00 drive for about 6 or 7 hours at least get out of florida, then find a place to sleep. Wake up early and meet everyone at Hennessy at the predetermined time which I believe is 3:00, then leaving at 3:30.

How does that sound to you?

I saw that 2 others from Florida are registered for the event, so I am trying to get w/ them to see if these plans will work for them as well.
Sounds good except I believe we're meeting at Hennessy a little earlier since I think we have to be on 400 exit 13 by 3:30. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll try and put the link to the caravan for us.

So far, everything sounds right though.
Old 08-12-03, 07:05 PM
cdawg
Rookie

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Sounds good except I believe we're meeting at Hennessy a little earlier since I think we have to be on 400 exit 13 by 3:30. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll try and put the link to the caravan for us.

So far, everything sounds right though.
This is right! Freelance, unless you just want to visit another Lexus dealer then you should skip that part and come straight up GA400 to exit 13. It will save you a good bit of time and effort (and less chance to get lost if you miss the guys leaving Hennessy).
Old 08-17-03, 07:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Got some more prizes in!

Set of Daizen GS sways courtesy of Sewell Lexus (www.lexus-parts.com), a bunch of cool JDM stuff from Steve Ganz / Carson Toyota including two SWEET Japan-only TRD hats and from Ethan at ClubLexus a set of CL travel mugs, CL shirt and Lexus Visor in addition to all the stuff he sent earlier!

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Deal's Gap, Tail of the Dragon! August 22-24, 2003