Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Soon to be Lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06 | 12:09 PM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Default Soon to be Lexus owner

I didnt know where to say hi...so I guess Ill start here...funny..most forums have a new member area....maybe I am not seeing it.

Anyways, I live in Az (Phoenix) and am looking at a few SC400's and 1 LS400 (havent decided which yet...although the 2 door thing has me coming back around some.)

But I have a couple of quextions if you guys could throw out some answers I would appreciate it

1. What are some things to look for when buying a SC/LS? Anything in the motor area I should be made aware of right off the bat?

2. If there is things...what are some telltale signs?

3. Estimated cost of repairs? (I usually do all my own mech work but of course would farm some things out for ease on myself)

I travel frequently for work (company vehicle) so the car will sit at times up to 45 days depending on where I go and how big the job is...so I will always have some form of gas additive in...and I like to Seafoam once a year...needed or not...although Phoenix has been cracking down on the smoke the past couple of years :lol:

anyways...wanted to drop a line and say Hi...kinda excited about it since this will be my first Lexus and I have always loved em since the initial LS came out...hope I find what I am looking for and see you all soon!
Old 07-04-06 | 10:43 PM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Jeez..not much to say about the cars themselves or just no responses at all?

I need to know what to look for before I drop cash on these...been hit in the past on my Legend with a overheating problem which turned out to be HG's...a $2000 repair which I would rather avoid on my new Lex...I would much rather spend that type of $$ on rims and a nice set or coilovers and maybe a exhaust of some form....I am really leaning towrds the SC....I dont NEED the V8..but it would sound sooooo much sweeter than a 6.......and really its for me and the GF to get out of town on....but I dont want to be broken down out in the middle of nowheresville either with no help or any idea of what could be wrong
Old 07-05-06 | 01:55 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

General maintenance items.

Theres no particular issues that stick out, overall generally reliable car as long as maintenance has been done.

You don't want any type of vehicle that smokes, ticks, overheats, etc etc. As soon as you get it, you might be better off spending that money on maintenance. Like having the timing belt done, doing a tune up, etc etc. Just follow your scheduled maintanance schedule listed on the owner manual. (you can get one for free if car you obtain does not have one.)
Old 07-05-06 | 02:27 AM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Inabj2
General maintenance items.

Theres no particular issues that stick out, overall generally reliable car as long as maintenance has been done.

You don't want any type of vehicle that smokes, ticks, overheats, etc etc. As soon as you get it, you might be better off spending that money on maintenance. Like having the timing belt done, doing a tune up, etc etc. Just follow your scheduled maintanance schedule listed on the owner manual. (you can get one for free if car you obtain does not have one.)

I was planning on doing this all anyways to be sure........but I was more concerned with a issue that may not be talked about openly...I had discovered bad head gaskets!!!! not good!!! a 2K repair bill!!!

this is why I ask
Old 07-05-06 | 01:59 PM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Well 2 I looked at were really rough...and the third...while a nice car...the current owner was a jerk...a real jackass...so i walked away....from a 200,000 mile car.....

the search continues
Old 07-05-06 | 02:22 PM
Dramon
Driver

The biggest thing I would look for is a car with the interior intact. At least in my experience mechanically they seem to be fine just stupid crap like window regulators...broken tabs in the interior...etc loves to go out.
Old 07-05-06 | 05:52 PM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dramon
The biggest thing I would look for is a car with the interior intact. At least in my experience mechanically they seem to be fine just stupid crap like window regulators...broken tabs in the interior...etc loves to go out.

Thanks man....getting in another car alwas makes a nervous a know?

how hard is it to set timing on one of these things?
Old 07-07-06 | 07:21 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Most common thing that goes wrong IMO is the powersteering pumps on either the 6 or the 8. If the pump is leaking on an 8 it is positioned right over the alternator and usually fries it. The second most common would probably be the ball joints. Back the car up and turn the wheel with the window down. Listen for a pop. I also had to replace a lower control arm 2 because of a destroyed bushing. Being in Arizona you know that rubber is going to rot eventually.

The motors do last a really long time, but taking it to a mechanic or someone with skills for a leak down test is a good idea.
Old 07-09-06 | 11:05 AM
korrupt1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Most common thing that goes wrong IMO is the powersteering pumps on either the 6 or the 8. If the pump is leaking on an 8 it is positioned right over the alternator and usually fries it. The second most common would probably be the ball joints. Back the car up and turn the wheel with the window down. Listen for a pop. I also had to replace a lower control arm 2 because of a destroyed bushing. Being in Arizona you know that rubber is going to rot eventually.

The motors do last a really long time, but taking it to a mechanic or someone with skills for a leak down test is a good idea.

Thanks man!! thats the kind of info I am looking for! Thankfully my Uncle is a mech and he gonna be going with me to examine all cars so thats gonna help out alot too.

The hunt is still in the works...I will find my SC though.