Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

AZ: Anyone have experience with Brake Masters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 04:40 PM
hrmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AZ: Anyone have experience with Brake Masters?

I need new front brake pads already on my IS350 and was going to do them myself, but for $139, Brake Masters will put in 'high performance' brake pads and machine the rotors. Plus they claim a lifetime warranty so I can get news pads for free every year. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

Max
Old 12-09-06, 05:14 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hrmax
I need new front brake pads already on my IS350 and was going to do them myself, but for $139, Brake Masters will put in 'high performance' brake pads and machine the rotors. Plus they claim a lifetime warranty so I can get news pads for free every year. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

Max
I used a Brake Masters in Chandler some years ago for my Dodge Intrepid and I wish I never had. The brakes squealed, squeaked and stuck. I had them replaced twice and they never got better, finally I took it to Tempe Dodge and paid to have them done all over again, but properly. In trying to save a few bucks I ended up paying twice. Mind you that's just one experience at one location but I'd never use them again.
Old 12-10-06, 04:19 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Just get some new pads and throw them on. Unless your rotors are warped or grooved they don't need machining on a brand new car.
Old 12-10-06, 06:03 PM
hrmax
Driver School Candidate

I've changed my own pads on all my past cars but they didn't have nearly the technology that the IS350 does. I just didn't want to mess up the ABS or VSC systems.
Old 12-10-06, 06:25 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hrmax - take this golden opportunity to paint your calipers! wooooooo!
Old 12-11-06, 08:52 PM
3GRFSE
Driver School Candidate

Default Brakes

Originally Posted by hrmax

Max
Why would you let them touch your Lexus? Go to the dealer get your pads,take the rotors to Checker and get them to turn it and your home free.I would not install new pads on old rotors that have not been resurfaced(will have super rapid wear)
Old 12-11-06, 09:15 PM
hrmax
Driver School Candidate

Because they are the Brake Masters! jk Because I don't want to mess anything up and I would rather they be on the hook than me if something goes wrong. They are also less than half what the rapists at the dealership want to charge for installing pads.
Old 12-11-06, 09:19 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hrmax - just do it yourself. it's honestly not that hard. i once changed the pads on my 1980 mercedes and then watched a shop change the pads on the 98 gs300, hahaha- same principle! i bet it's just the same on your car.
Old 12-12-06, 07:30 AM
3GRFSE
Driver School Candidate

Default Pads

If you need my help send me a PM,where are you located ?
Old 12-12-06, 07:47 AM
hrmax
Driver School Candidate

I live in Chandler/Gilbert. I am just worried about compressing the actuator so that the new thicker pads will fit over the rotors. Also I can't seem to find a consensus on what pads I should use. Hawks aren't out yet and EBCs have reviews off the charts in both directions. Should I just buy some OEM pads instead? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 12-12-06, 11:43 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Super rapid wear? An aquaintence of mine is a Brake tech for Toyota ironically enough. At the time he was with GM when he told me that non resurfaced rotors will actually bed the new pads better than resurfaced. I've been doing it that way for years and no issues. To each his own. It's only like $30 if you take them to autozone to be resurfaced.
Old 12-12-06, 11:45 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Hawks are a bit agressive for daily driving from what I've heard. They either squeal like crazy or wear quickly due to their bite.
Old 12-12-06, 03:30 PM
3GRFSE
Driver School Candidate

I speaking from experience also did a pad slap on a friends Landcruiser and it wore super fast and made a lot of noise,ever since then I promised myself not to try that again.I have been an auto tech since 1986 working mainly on Toyotas but other brands as well and I have never heard of pads seating better on a unresurfaced rotor.I know that some techs will scuff up pads and rotors to help keep them from squealing but that is done after you resurface the rotor.
I would use the factory pads on that IS.
Old 12-12-06, 10:26 PM
csq860
Pole Position

I can't offer any advice on your pad choice but I can tell you that John (3GRFSE) is a top notch Toyota Tech, he did all the installs on my car and his work is first rate, any advice or help he offers you would do well to accept.
Old 12-13-06, 06:25 AM
hrmax
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the best route. I will just order some OEM pads. Just Brakes said they would charge me $60 to install pads that I supplied and resurface the rotors. Is it worth it to do that instead of doing it myself and resurfacing them at AutoZone for $30? In comparison, it would only save me $30 to do it myself. Thanks for everyone's help!

Quick Reply: AZ: Anyone have experience with Brake Masters?