Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Putting Car Back to Stock-DFW Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 09:45 AM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I am selling the rear end. It is a 3.76 LSD. I purchased it from a guy in Houston who bought it directly from Rod Millen for $1799.00. The catch is that I need to swap stock rear ends with who ever buys it. I had one guy drive my car last week to see if he may be interested. I have not heard back yet so as of right now it is still for sale. Just let me know.
I talked with Jason over at JPI last week about a car im potentially purchasing and doing TRD Sways on it. It would be a 98 GS4. What are the pros to going towards a higher gearing? Effect fuel economy? increase wear and tear? The car I would be buying has 135K miles on it... is it worth putting into a car with that high of miles? What would be the cost of purchasing your LSD and doing the swap at JPI?

Sorry for the ?'s. Thanks for the info!

Ben
Old 05-08-07, 11:26 AM
96sc300tt
Rookie

well i have a sc300 so if it will work for the swap and depending on price i may be able to swing it.
Old 05-08-07, 11:42 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
I talked with Jason over at JPI last week about a car im potentially purchasing and doing TRD Sways on it. It would be a 98 GS4. What are the pros to going towards a higher gearing? Effect fuel economy? increase wear and tear? The car I would be buying has 135K miles on it... is it worth putting into a car with that high of miles? What would be the cost of purchasing your LSD and doing the swap at JPI?

Sorry for the ?'s. Thanks for the info!

Ben
Ben, I think this rear end will fit the GS400. The gearing makes the car quicker through the gears. This rear end also has the LSD which will make both wheels spin so taking corners is way funner. The RPM's will be a bit higher at highway speeds but not that bad. I seldem drove on the highways but when I did, the RPM's were not a problem. The swap from JPI is about $375 if I remember correctly. The biggest problem is that I really don't want to put a rear end on my car that has 135K miles on it. My car only has 64K and this RMM rear end only has maybe 15K. Sorry about that. But if you can buy one from someone, it is a really great mod. If I were you, I would go with a Torque Converter first. I drove a car on Friday that had one installed and it was great. I think the TC and the LSD together is the best modification you can do.
Old 05-08-07, 01:55 PM
Jedidiah
Pole Position

Ben, I think this rear end will fit the GS400. The gearing makes the car quicker through the gears. This rear end also has the LSD which will make both wheels spin so taking corners is way funner. The RPM's will be a bit higher at highway speeds but not that bad. I seldem drove on the highways but when I did, the RPM's were not a problem. The swap from JPI is about $375 if I remember correctly. The biggest problem is that I really don't want to put a rear end on my car that has 135K miles on it. My car only has 64K and this RMM rear end only has maybe 15K. Sorry about that. But if you can buy one from someone, it is a really great mod. If I were you, I would go with a Torque Converter first. I drove a car on Friday that had one installed and it was great. I think the TC and the LSD together is the best modification you can do.
Thanks for all the info! Ya, I really didn't think about you having to take my rear end in lieu of yours. Don't blame you one bit for that. The only reason I'm going with a car with such high miles is that im getting it for 6500 and for all practical purposes as been babied and taken great care.

With that said, if im going to be modding it, is it a bad idea to do so with a car that has 135K on it? Thoughts would be very appreciated.
Old 05-08-07, 08:34 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jedidiah
Thanks for all the info! Ya, I really didn't think about you having to take my rear end in lieu of yours. Don't blame you one bit for that. The only reason I'm going with a car with such high miles is that im getting it for 6500 and for all practical purposes as been babied and taken great care.

With that said, if im going to be modding it, is it a bad idea to do so with a car that has 135K on it? Thoughts would be very appreciated.
With the Lexus V8 135K is not bad and if you can get it for $6500, that is the best way to start. Like I said, the first performace mod I would do on the GS400 is the Torque Converter. Do a search and you will find out why. Next, I would go coilover suspension and maybe some wheels. Then exhaust, sways and body kit. After that you can do a bunch of other things. Just hang out here at Club Lexus for a while and you will be modding like crazy. It only took me 2 years to spend a ton of money modding a car that I thought was great just the way it was. But hanging out here will get you the mod bug. I think you are doing the right thing by getting a great value on a great car which will give you plenty of money to mod. Enjoy!
Old 05-24-07, 11:13 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the status on the back-to-stock de-modding of the GS?

What's the status of the new vehicle purchase?

We're not going to have any more NorTexLex meetings anytime soon are we?

NorTexLex - you saw it here first; that nickname just flows!
Old 06-17-07, 09:09 PM
subparrnd
Pole Position

I hate to do it but I am going to sell my GS and figured it best to put it back to stock. With that being said if anyone in the DFW area has any interest in anything I have on the car, let me know. Thanks, Bill.

-L-tuned side skirts available. Sale Pending.
-Brakes are sold.
-3.76 rear end and sways are spoken for.
-Front and rear Strut bars are spoken for.
-Wheels possibly spoken for.
-TTE lip, Exhaust, shocks and springs are staying on the car unless someone what to swap me for their stockers.
-SRT intake still available.

Thanks for the smooth transaction, Bill! I love the car, BTW!

Homer
Old 06-18-07, 05:56 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by subparrnd
Thanks for the smooth transaction, Bill! I love the car, BTW!

Homer
Homer, thanks to you for the quick sale and smooth transaction. Everyone in the DFW area that knows me, here is the new owner of my car. Homer is a really great person and I trust he will continue to take great care of the car. Once you get the new TC installed let us all know how it drives.

P.S. Eventually I have to stop coming back here (Club Lexus). It is just habit or maybe an addiction