Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Is Arizona "swap-friendly"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 12:15 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Arizona "swap-friendly"?

I will be moving to the Chandler area in a couple of years, reside there for 3 years maximum and then move to the Flagstaff area. I have just acquired the family 1993 GS300 and have plans to swap in a brand new, built up from scratch 2JZ-GTE, plus reinforced Supra auto-transmission. Current goal is for 550 whp daily driven. But before I start, I need to know from people that live there, what will be expected emissions-wise. I have looked through the site for Arizona, so I have a good idea re: a "normal car". However, in my brief once-over, I found nothing re: swaps. Will the EGR and such be needed from the original car or from the car where the engine came from (Supra, in this case)?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-27-07, 12:56 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM Kaiser, he is from Arizona I believe, and he has a 1st gen GS swapped.
Old 08-27-07, 02:02 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Thank you.
Old 08-27-07, 02:22 PM
Kaiser
Racer

On OBD I cars in Arizona you need a charcoal canister and a solid gas cap. EGR is not required and I've learned this from SR20DET guys who have gone through emissions. You will have to put the car on their dyno and prove good emission levels and there is an underhood visual to make sure there is a check valve/line for the canister. I haven't had to do this yet either with the swap. The week before my swap I got a two year tag to avoid emissions. I flip cars pretty quick so who knows if I'll still have this one next July. If you go OBD II it's just plug into the port, no check engine light, pass. They don't even pop the hood. You must have a fully functional port and no codes after the full OBD II cycle.
Old 08-27-07, 02:32 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Well the car is OBD1; initially I wasn't planning on changing that. Is it possible (or worth the trouble) to build the engine and run a standalone to OBD-II specs. The motor will be built from scratch; new short-block, new head, Ferrera valvetrain, single turbo, AEM tuned.
Old 08-27-07, 02:44 PM
Kaiser
Racer

AEM? Has to be OBDI. AEM will not recognize on their scanner.
Old 08-27-07, 02:49 PM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaiser
AEM? Has to be OBDI. AEM will not recognize on their scanner.

So, I can just leave all the emissions gear in place then, correct? As for tuning, is there anything else that you would recommend for the 2JZ-GTE?
Old 08-27-07, 03:04 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Yeah - I'd stick with the stock ECU, get the Emanage Ultimate with the jumper harness that makes it plug and play. The timing is already set really well, you just need the greddy MAP because the stock one will run out about 15psi. With the Eman unit you can eliminate speed cut, boost cut, control injector sizing etc. Stick with OBDI, it's simple to install. I'm at about 400rwhp daily driven without one on a stock trans. You might be putting too much into this. PM me your number and I'll chat with you about the swap if you want.
Old 09-21-07, 09:42 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I passed emmissions on my sr swapped 240sx just fine. This motor does not have an EGR system at all. Technically this motor is 100 percent illegal, but I could have a nuclear reactor under my hood, and as long as I pass the canister visual, the gas pressure test, and pass emmissions, Ill pass all day long. At the time, I had stock boost, retarded my timing, and used a cat.

Now im building my SR for 400+ rwhp and well see how lucky Ill get next time.