Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth...THUMBS DOWN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 02:00 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth...THUMBS DOWN!

Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth, TX---Thumbs Down!

I bought my 2005 LS430 from Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth, TX. less than 2 years ago. It currently has 13,000 miles on it and has always been kept garaged. I put it in the garage the other night, and when I woke up the next day to run some errands, there was a 10” vertical crack running down my windshield directly in front of the driver. Upon inspection, the crack started at the uppermost part of the windshield under the chrome border and ran straight down the windshield. I did not get hit by gravel, rocks or any other object. Since the crack was directly in front of the driver, it would have been obvious if I had been hit by an object. It appeared to be a stress crack, probably from improper installation or flexing of the car body. I took the car into Sewell after being told that this would be covered under my New Vehicle Warranty but they would have to inspect it first.
The Service Writer took a full 10 minutes inspecting it, finding no evidence of a rock or gravel strike. Then he took out his ballpoint pen and ran it up and down the crack, stopping at the top of the crack and moving it around. I couldn’t figure out what he was doing. Then he gets a magnifying glass with attached spotlight and shows me a miniscule impression, right where he was pressing his pen, and informed me that was where I was hit by a rock. This miniscule mark could not be seen with the naked eye, but he insisted it was a rock strike. There was absolutely no evidence of any rock strike or external damage to the naked eye. After I questioned him, he called the Service Manager who just agreed with the Service Writer’s assessment. When I disagreed with him, he said he would “call Lexus and see how they would handle it.” He came back and said that out of the goodness of their heart, Lexus would pay ˝ of the nearly $1900 charge for a new windshield. When I told him I could get a new OEM windshield installed by Safelite Auto Glass for $197.90 he informed me that their glass was no good and that it would split and peel in time, unlike the superior Lexus glass. Then the New Car Sales Manager came and said he would have to accept the opinion of his Service Manager and the claim would be denied. He asked me if I would pay $475 for a replacement windshield and I told him it should be replaced under the New Car Warranty at NO cost.
The General Manager was supposed to call me upon returning 3 days later to resolve the situation. I never heard from him on the 3nd day so I called him and he informed me they wouldn’t replace the glass under warranty. I asked him if he had even looked at the windshield, and he said “No”.
Needless to say I was very disappointed with the Service Department and Management of Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth and their failure to honor the New Car Warranty that comes with every new Lexus. You pay for this warranty when you buy your new car, and for their failure to honor it, I give Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth a big THUMBS DOWN. Fortunately there are several other dealers available in the DFW area.

Update: I had the windshield replaced by Safelite Auto Glass 2 days later. I asked the 2 technicians at Safelite to check the crack after they had removed the framing and tell me what caused the crack. After their examination they told me there was NO evidence of a rock or gravel chip to the window, and that when the windshield was originally installed by Lexus, they had left a gap with no sealant at all under the area where the crack originated at the top, leaving that area unsupported, which caused the crack due to lack of support in that area and body flexing of the car. This was duly noted on the invoice and I forwarded a copy of the invoice to Sewell Lexus. I have had no response from them and Lexus has continued to deny the claim.

This is just my experience with Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth……To be Forewarned is to be Forearmed.
Old 10-17-07, 06:32 PM
Es7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAH thats a crock! I'm an installer for Safelite and the dealer will deny at any cost. Also, just about all dealerships hate doing anything that involves glass, thats because they call us to do the work.

Last edited by Es7; 10-17-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 10:24 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info...I won't be buying a car from them
Old 10-17-07, 11:23 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I stopped going there five months ago because they beat around the bush when it comes to warranty work. They are scammers, liars, and lazy. If I were you I would email Sewell Corporate and see what they say because last I checked "Customer service makes them who they are". By all do respect if I was a GM of a Lexus dealer and I had an LS (Flagship) owner come in with a problem that minor, I would make sure I would do everything to satisfy them in every possible way.
Old 10-18-07, 03:59 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I stopped going there five months ago because they beat around the bush when it comes to warranty work. They are scammers, liars, and lazy. If I were you I would email Sewell Corporate and see what they say because last I checked "Customer service makes them who they are". By all do respect if I was a GM of a Lexus dealer and I had an LS (Flagship) owner come in with a problem that minor, I would make sure I would do everything to satisfy them in every possible way.
I'm with you on that MO.

They had a few LS430's I was looking into.....but I guess I will consider a diffrent route.
Old 10-18-07, 04:12 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were you I would email Sewell Corporate and see what they say because last I checked "Customer service makes them who they are".

Good advice. I have written 3 letters and emails to Lexus Corporate and one letter to the owner of Sewell Lexus and have had NO response from them at all. There are valid reasons Lexus and Toyota are declining rapidly in the Customer Satisfaction Polls.
Old 10-18-07, 04:20 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its not like you're trying to get over on them! I deal with Lexus of Austin and they treat you EXCELLENT!! Its worth the trip guys to go there instead of getting bad business from Sewell service dept.
Old 10-18-07, 04:22 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had to come in for anything significant yet, but I've heard good things about the service at the Sewell in Dallas. I guess it's too late now, but in the future, you might want to give them a try.
Old 10-18-07, 09:07 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I was over there looking at CPO and other used Lexuses two weekends ago.
I appreciate the warning. If they do that with a new LS, who knows what would happen with something "pre-owned" (cripes just call it "used"! )

I will avoid them as well.

Sewell Dallas would do well to differentiate themselves, although they're the dealership that I found trying to sell a (granted) low mileage '92 SC400 for ~$11k.

Are dealerships (along with much of the service industry) just losing their minds lately, or what?
Old 10-18-07, 09:39 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Go ahead email them hell email them this thread I'll be more than glad to post my name number and address to confirm who I am. The strange thing is I was driving today and they had an ad come on 103.3 ESPN and the entire ad was about how they are number one in customer service and how thats how they became so famous. If I was to buy another Lexus I would def. go to Park Place for the fact they have a bigger waiting room, its also alot nicer, they always have LEXUS loaner cars (Sewell gave me 2005 Toyota Camry) onsite, and they have an espresso machine from hell. Thats my rant.......
Old 10-18-07, 10:27 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

wow....i wont be stepping foot at that place.

Lexus of Austin is the best!
Old 10-19-07, 08:32 AM
djentee
Pole Position

Wow...I even thought about getting my TSB done with Sewell FW but I guess I'll just go to Park Place Grapevine.
Old 10-19-07, 08:50 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go ahead email them hell email them this thread I'll be more than glad to post my name number and address to confirm who I am. The strange thing is I was driving today and they had an ad come on 103.3 ESPN and the entire ad was about how they are number one in customer service and how thats how they became so famous. If I was to buy another Lexus I would def. go to Park Place for the fact they have a bigger waiting room, its also alot nicer, they always have LEXUS loaner cars (Sewell gave me 2005 Toyota Camry) onsite, and they have an espresso machine from hell. Thats my rant.......

haha....I heard that commercial on the radio as well.....and immediatley thaught of this thread...
Old 10-19-07, 09:03 AM
Seadee456
Driver

I've actaully had better experiences with Sewell Dallas than PP Plano even though I bought my car at Park Place. I've always gotten a Lexus loaner and even choose which model I wanted(IS/ES/RX) and they let me keep it for as long as I needed. I think their prices are better and most of the service advisors make for good eye candy. Ok, so the lounge is kinda small and crappy but I've never really had to wait for an extended period of time there.
Old 10-19-07, 11:54 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs down

Yeah don't be giving PP any kudos either. I've had some very negative experiences there as well, and I hear the same from bros at our meets.

It appears, with rare exception, that the *in the haughty commercial guy voice* "Lexus ownership experience" and treatment is increasingly less-than-spectacular.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 10-19-07 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth...THUMBS DOWN!