Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Need help cause thats a Joke

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 10:26 AM
Somy6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help cause thats a Joke

Hey guys. I spoke with a couple of people and i think the reason why my car is driving all funny is cause i am not running good spark plugs. Well, I called a couple of places and they are asking $180 or so for just labor. Is that a freakin joke. I was wondering if anyone here can do that for less. I am not spending that much for the spark plugs changed. If you can help me out with this please lmk.

thanks
Old 02-26-08, 10:42 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL

It does get pretty involved because the intake plenum has to be removed to get to cylinders 3 and 4, if not a couple more.. They probably have a book that tells them to charge three shop hours for plug replacement on your motor.

And yeah, your plugs were showing a definate indication of you being overly rich..

Get a wideband yet?
Old 02-26-08, 11:09 AM
Somy6
Driver

No wideband yet. In the next two weeks or so. Well now the car is not even drivable cause of the spark plugs it seems. I called another shop and they said 300 bucks. Dude this has got to be a joke. Anyone wanna to do this for some cash?? I havent had a good weekend with my car since i had it. DAMN IT
Old 02-26-08, 02:44 PM
Somy6
Driver

Ok guys. Can someone help me do this and by that i mean do most of the work for $80?? If so call me up (480)363-9946
Old 02-26-08, 06:15 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Will it make it over to my house?
Old 02-26-08, 06:18 PM
l Black l
Driver

DANG! I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but...don't you guys have "Mexican Shops" there in AZ? My guy did my entire tune up for $120. That was wires, spark plugs, disctributor cap, AND serpentine belt. We love those guys here in Dallas.
Old 02-26-08, 06:37 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Trusting a shop like that with my motor? LOL

That's a good one. Paint or interior work, maybe with some good examples to show.

People with performance vehicles should either learn to do work themselves, or expect to pay the price for getting the work done properly.
Old 02-26-08, 07:03 PM
Kaiser
Racer

It's not terribly difficult. The throttle body can be removed seperate from the plenum and 3 and 4 can be accessed. If you are running rich like SQ said, the new plugs may foul quickly too. Where is the car located?

I wouldn't trust my motor to just any shop either. I do just about everything myself.
Old 02-26-08, 09:51 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Yeah, they were pretty fouled with carbon deposites, but not wet.. They weren't gas fouled enough to catch fire with a lighter though..

If I remember right, they were 6's in the heat range. Might be wrong though. That seems like too hot of a plug for FI and the stock N/A compression..
Old 02-27-08, 12:09 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Also, what's the history of the plugs? Were they ever swapped out when you had the turbo installed?

Tony@UMS should've tuned you up proper, so maybe it's just a case of old plugs and a lack of maintenance on the previous owners part. But then again, if Tony did the install, he should've installed new plugs in the correct heat range..
Old 02-27-08, 08:38 AM
Somy6
Driver

thanks a lot guys. I am not sure about when the last tune up was. I also did not change the spark plugs when i went FI. The car is drivable. I can get it to your place Squester no problem. If we can do this soon guys that would be great. I have a second car only till saturday then after that i am pretty much screwed.
Old 02-27-08, 03:22 PM
Somy6
Driver

Come on my AZ peeps. Whats the word on the street. I am going today to pick up the plug wires and the spark plugs. Guys i know i have been asking for a lot of help but its only cause i am a little new to this and havent my SC for long.
Old 02-27-08, 08:56 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Which plugs are you going to get?

I'm down.
Old 02-27-08, 09:09 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by l Black l
DANG! I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but...don't you guys have "Mexican Shops" there in AZ? My guy did my entire tune up for $120. That was wires, spark plugs, disctributor cap, AND serpentine belt. We love those guys here in Dallas.
Yeah there are plenty of beaners here too, you just have to know where to go, but we don't trust just any shop. I know of other shops who are not "Mexican shops" whom I've had good and just plain terrible service with (not with the Lexus). Now a days, good honest shops with reasonable prices are way too hard to come by.

Goodluck somy6, if I could I would help but I've never changed my sparkplugs .
Old 02-27-08, 09:52 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Perfect time to learn.

Quick Reply: Need help cause thats a Joke