Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Anyone have some answers for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-08, 07:17 AM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have some answers for me?

Anyone out there a personal mechanic? Or know a good cheap one?

I'm tired of my first gen IS getting 200MPT So I'm forcing myself to get it checked out why I am getting crappy gas mileage or just sell the car and drive the 2nd gen.

I get 200MPT. Yes all city driving but with no heavy foot and relaxed driving, no racing. My fellow IS friends claim they get mid 300's

Something wrong. I cant afford this. And I'm not going to pay Park Place or Sewell out the *** to just tell me what the problem is. Anyone with help it is much appreciated.

Thanks
-Jared
Old 09-22-08, 08:18 AM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

200mpt city is about right with some highway driving youll see around 300.

check your o2 sensors.
Old 09-22-08, 09:28 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jared when I'm in town and had my previous ride, I used to bring it to DriveTime. They have them all over the city (google search). They're pretty cheap and straight up with you as well as they were fairly priced. I'd give them a try one day after class, they're usually not very busy. I'm pretty sure there's one on Coit and Legacy
Old 09-22-08, 11:49 AM
HoracioGS4
Pole Position

If you are in the Dallas area, I would recommend JP Importz. He has serviced my GS300, GS400 and GX470 and provides great service. All of my friends with Lexus vehicles go there as well. Feel free to call Jason (214-221-3135), he has great experience as he used to be a tech at the Lexus dealership.
Old 09-22-08, 02:32 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

what mods have you done? what was your mileage like before? any check engine lights? check your tire pressure, air filter? i would imagine it would be like my sc300 just difference is vvti... some friends i know with their is300 are doing 300 - 350? strange to see you doing 200? sounds like agressive driving or you must have some serious mods like a turbo with big injectors? don't know the size of your tank... mine's lil over 17 gallons and i'm squeezing 450 miles in city/ 500 highway out of that...
Old 09-22-08, 02:58 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
what mods have you done? what was your mileage like before? any check engine lights? check your tire pressure, air filter? i would imagine it would be like my sc300 just difference is vvti... some friends i know with their is300 are doing 300 - 350? strange to see you doing 200? sounds like agressive driving or you must have some serious mods like a turbo with big injectors? don't know the size of your tank... mine's lil over 17 gallons and i'm squeezing 450 miles in city/ 500 highway out of that...
Only performance mod I have is the SRT intake. According to SRT's website the intake increases gas mileage, slightly. But I have not noticed any positive affects other than the power.

And no, I do not have an aggressive driving style. Very relaxed just like everyone else I would say. Now I don't even use the 'pwr' button. Owners manual states it helps with gas on acceleration.

And I have a 16.5 tank BTW. I use 93 octane. My tires are new, I check the pressure quite often, there fine. No CEL's. Only option I'm leaning with is to have my fuel lines checked and 02 sensors replaced.

I would just be happy with 300 MPT.

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Hey Jared when I'm in town and had my previous ride, I used to bring it to DriveTime. They have them all over the city (google search). They're pretty cheap and straight up with you as well as they were fairly priced. I'd give them a try one day after class, they're usually not very busy. I'm pretty sure there's one on Coit and Legacy
Yes I've seen that one over on Coit and Legacy. I'll stop by there after classes, or on my lunch hour.

Thanks Mike. Oh and hows school? Any plans to come up in the future?
Old 09-22-08, 03:53 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -JDOG-
Yes I've seen that one over on Coit and Legacy. I'll stop by there after classes, or on my lunch hour.

Thanks Mike. Oh and hows school? Any plans to come up in the future?
Let us know how it goes bro! Its not bad, working hard which is good Next time I'll be up with the car will be December. I'm planning on doing a bunch of mods after the SEMA show including an exhaust, intake and perhaps a charger of some type, we will see what the market has.

How about you? Hows school and the ride other then the poor gas milage?
Old 09-22-08, 07:47 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason over at JP Importz does good work or you can hit up Davenport over on plano pkwy and coit. Both are good service, but might not be as cheap a solution as you are looking for.
Old 09-23-08, 12:28 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

you slammed your's right? how's the alignment and camber wear?
Old 09-24-08, 03:15 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Let us know how it goes bro! Its not bad, working hard which is good Next time I'll be up with the car will be December. I'm planning on doing a bunch of mods after the SEMA show including an exhaust, intake and perhaps a charger of some type, we will see what the market has.

How about you? Hows school and the ride other then the poor gas milage?
Good to hear! Cant wait to hear the F again man. Classes are going good. Car is better than ever. Except for the gas milage. No new mods other than brakes. Exhaust and drop are plans for my next mod. Just waiting on some paychecks.
Old 09-24-08, 03:16 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
you slammed your's right? how's the alignment and camber wear?
No. All new wheels (Stock) and tires. Alignment is fine aswell.
Old 09-24-08, 03:22 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -JDOG-
Good to hear! Cant wait to hear the F again man. Classes are going good. Car is better than ever. Except for the gas milage. No new mods other than brakes. Exhaust and drop are plans for my next mod. Just waiting on some paychecks.
Good stuff bro!! Did you figure out what was up with the milage? Exhaust and drop are good mods to have planned, any particular time frame for them? Haha, last time I was out there and I spun on the water you said you couldn't even hear anything other then screeching tires
Old 09-24-08, 04:37 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matador
Jason over at JP Importz does good work or you can hit up Davenport over on plano pkwy and coit. Both are good service, but might not be as cheap a solution as you are looking for.

Couldn't agree more.
Good folks at BOTH of these places with prices that KILL the stealerships.
Old 09-24-08, 05:17 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Good stuff bro!! Did you figure out what was up with the milage? Exhaust and drop are good mods to have planned, any particular time frame for them? Haha, last time I was out there and I spun on the water you said you couldn't even hear anything other then screeching tires
No not yet. I'll probaly head over to a place that you, Matador, and slooooooooow suggested. Thanks for the hel p guys

More mods will probaly be in 3 weeks, thats if all goes as planned.
Old 10-14-08, 05:54 AM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

hahahaha you smell jared! =P

i think it has something to do with that SRT intake, you should remove it and give it to me and return to the stock one! haha nah it must be something to do with the RECU, i suggest resetting it ie unplugging the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it!

Last edited by Dattt; 10-14-08 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have some answers for me?