Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Who is from Austin, TX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 01:04 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who is from Austin, TX??

I am trying to get an idea of how many of you live in Austin or central Texas. If you do live in this area, what kind of mods do you have on your car. I keep hearing about all these people with bad a$$ mods on their cars and would like to see them in person.

Chad
Old 07-29-02, 03:41 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Austin. I have a 2001 GS430 with L-Tuned shocks, springs, steering ECU, and (as of last Friday) exhaust, and TRD sways and lower chassis brace.

I know of at least two other CL members that are from Austin, one being Jacob Teng (is he still around?) and the other was BlueGS430, but I can't remember his real name. Jacob had a pretty heavily modded car...just about everything except for forced induction. BlueGS430 did the L-Tuned suspension and steering ECU at the least after test driving my car. Haven't seen him around in a while either.

Last edited by SCWells72; 07-29-02 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 07:33 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am from the Austin area as well, I live in Round Rock. No mods to my SC400 though. It's plenty fast, for now.
Old 07-29-02, 08:03 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Know of a few

In addition to JacobT (mentioned by SCWells72), tinygs and RacegirlK80 have come in from the Austin area to Dallas meets. Don't know who actually lives in Austin, but they drove in as a group for the last meet.
Old 07-29-02, 09:11 PM
jefe
Rookie

hey im in austin and go to UT. im about to buy a 98 GS400. if all goes well then you will get a lot of newbie questions from me.
Old 07-29-02, 09:25 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Wow, there are more of you guys than I thought. Keep it comin. Are any of you considering going up to the meet in Dallas the 17th?? Assuming I can get off work on the 17th, would any of you be interested in carivaning up there??

Jefe- Congrates on your possible purchase!! I hope you get the car. I just bought a 98 GS 400 about 6 months ago and I absolutly love it. Just a warning though...as soon as you get your GS, you will start thinking about what mods you will make. I have already been sucked into the L-Tuned suspension, L-Tuned steering ECU, L-Tuned 18's and am now seriously considering the TRD STB and sways. Basically I have turned my car into an endless money pit, but I think it is well worth it.
Old 07-29-02, 09:27 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

SCWells72- What do you think of the exhaust and sways?? Did you have the Lexus dealership in Austin install the stuff??
Old 07-29-02, 09:31 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by UTGS400
SCWells72- What do you think of the exhaust and sways?? Did you have the Lexus dealership in Austin install the stuff??
Interesting that you ask. When I first installed the sways I thought they'd firmed up the ride too much. I decided to leave them on for a couple of weeks just to see if I just needed to get used to them. I'm very glad I left them on now. The ride is just about perfect.

I'm in a similar mood with the exhaust (which was just installed last Friday). I really like most aspects of it, but the resonance at 2K RPM when you're modulating your speed slightly during normal driving can get annoying. Again, I'm going to try it out for a few weeks to see if I just get used to it.

Yeah, everything I have was installed by John Roberts. They've been more than reasonable on all the pricing so far, and very cool about it to boot.

If you want to see what kind of a difference the mods make, I'll be happy to let you try out my car. It's pretty scary making major modifications to the feel of a car without first seeing if you'll like them or not! Just send me a PM or something and we can work out a demo.

Last edited by SCWells72; 07-29-02 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 09:46 PM
jefe
Rookie

Originally posted by UTGS400

Jefe- Congrates on your possible purchase!! I hope you get the car. I just bought a 98 GS 400 about 6 months ago and I absolutly love it. Just a warning though...as soon as you get your GS, you will start thinking about what mods you will make. I have already been sucked into the L-Tuned suspension, L-Tuned steering ECU, L-Tuned 18's and am now seriously considering the TRD STB and sways. Basically I have turned my car into an endless money pit, but I think it is well worth it.
hey thanks.
haha, actually this car is supposed to be my 'non-mod' car. (ok maybe ill get intake and exhaust)
my money pit car is my 91 300ZX TT .

anyway, ill add this forum to my daily rounds. see you guys around.
Old 07-30-02, 03:20 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that many people over there? in texas is one thing, but in just austin? i'm becoming very disgruntled with not just Orygun, but the whole pacific northwest! the only big ones were cshflw and biggie27, who appear to have disappeared with jacob as of late. i envy a return to cali, and now even texas
Old 07-30-02, 06:57 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

where is everyone when we had a lexus meet in austin at Rudy (183) last time?. BananaGS is from austin also, modz are in the signature section. see the webpage for more.

what about a quick meet this weekend in austin? Saturday, 11AM at somewhere...? my email is :atd_999@hotmail.com

Last edited by BananaGS; 07-30-02 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-30-02, 09:40 AM
salimshah

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

I am away from Austin on vacation. Was most probably the first to get LTuned suspension changed by Lexus of Austin.

Salim
Old 07-30-02, 11:42 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by salimshah
I am away from Austin on vacation. Was most probably the first to get LTuned suspension changed by Lexus of Austin.

Salim
Actually, I'm pretty sure I was. At least that's what service manager and service guys told me. They even brought all the service guys over to watch the installation of the suspension and steering ECU knowing there'd be more incoming. Then on my next visit they said they'd installed three more and on the next visit they were up to eighteen or so!

When was yours installed? I put mine on around February of 2001, I think.

Last edited by SCWells72; 07-30-02 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-30-02, 11:54 AM
JacobT

Hey Guys,

I'm still here in Austin TX. Just came back from my vacation in Japan. I'm still trying to catch up with CL forum.
Old 07-30-02, 12:23 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JacobT
Hey Guys,

I'm still here in Austin TX. Just came back from my vacation in Japan. I'm still trying to catch up with CL forum.
Hey, Jacob! Good to see you're still around, man. I thought maybe you'd jumped ship...seems like you were looking to trade in the GS a little back or something.

As you can probably tell from my comments above, I put on the L-Tuned exhaust last week. If you want to check out the GS with the L-Tuned package minus bodywork, you're welcome to take a look.

I also talked to the service manager at John Roberts about other non-L-Tuned mods such as the TC, LSD, etc., and he told me with each part the portion of the warranty it'd void. He also said that the day my warranty runs out he'd recommend putting it all on if I'm planning to keep the car! We'll see...

Anyway, welcome back...

Quick Reply: Who is from Austin, TX??