Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

First time visiting Houston!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:11 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time visiting Houston!!!!

Hey fellow Houston members, I am coming down by myself from Vancouver Canada, to visit my brother on Wednesday 23rd for a week. However, he is a surgeon so I know he won't have much time to chill with me. I'm actually going to be living in Galveston but I will be going to Houston quite a bit.

This is my first time down to TEXAS, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some tour tips on where to check out like attractions ? Also some good places to eat and shop(not high end, more of a favorite local places for food). I know I can use the tripadvisor but I usually prefer getting tips from locals rather than tourism websites.

Any tips will help! BTW, I will be driving his car so transportation will not be a issue

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-12, 09:41 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey,

I live in Houston, been here a few years. I dont know many tourism spots around town, but The Galleria is the huge mall we have (lots of high end as well as normal shops).

What kind of food are you looking for? There's a lot of good asian food spots hidden around town, as well as the good BBQ texas has to offer.

Looking for any night life? A lot of the Club Lexus folk in Houston are college students, so theyre on summer break now if you wanted to grab drinks with the younger crowd.

If you want, add yourself onto our facebook page (Club Lexus - Houston), and we'll add you as an honerary member for your stay in Houston. Our regional section is really dead, so you wont get many responses here, but our FB page blows our phones up... haha. Shoot me a message here with your name so i know youre the random outta towner trying to get in on our local page.
Old 05-22-12, 10:25 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heyarms
Hey,

I live in Houston, been here a few years. I dont know many tourism spots around town, but The Galleria is the huge mall we have (lots of high end as well as normal shops).

What kind of food are you looking for? There's a lot of good asian food spots hidden around town, as well as the good BBQ texas has to offer.

Looking for any night life? A lot of the Club Lexus folk in Houston are college students, so theyre on summer break now if you wanted to grab drinks with the younger crowd.

If you want, add yourself onto our facebook page (Club Lexus - Houston), and we'll add you as an honerary member for your stay in Houston. Our regional section is really dead, so you wont get many responses here, but our FB page blows our phones up... haha. Shoot me a message here with your name so i know youre the random outta towner trying to get in on our local page.

Thanks for the heads up! Lol i'm from Vancouver where mostly all asian food so looking to try something different. More western texas style like burgers etc. .

Yea I heard the Galleria was good place which I'll definitely check out. Probably won't have much time for the night life since my bro is only available at night.

I'm surprised that this regional section is pretty dead, I'm actually in Galveston already and I already spotted a lot of IS's and ISF's when we passed by Houston. As for facebook, adding right now. My name is Jack btw.

Thanks again
Old 05-23-12, 05:55 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Just added you and posted up in the FB group giving the group a heads up you'll be wanting some help finding hot spots around town. Enjoy your stay in Texas man
Old 05-25-12, 08:38 PM
warmcaram3
Rookie

hey Muggy,

here's a few good eats around town:

Bernie's Burger Bus (food truck- google/twitter where they're parked at) http://www.yelp.com/biz/bernies-burger-bus-houston
Burger Guys http://www.yelp.com/biz/burger-guys-houston
Ruggles Bakery http://www.yelp.com/biz/ruggles-caf%...kery-houston-2
Torchys Tacos http://www.yelp.com/biz/torchys-tacos-houston
Hickory Hallow http://www.yelp.com/biz/hickory-hollow-houston

As for tourist spots, i guess it doesn't hurt to check out NASA Space Center
Old 05-28-12, 09:35 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggy
Thanks for the heads up! Lol i'm from Vancouver where mostly all asian food so looking to try something different. More western texas style like burgers etc. .
Not sure I'd call burgers "Texas" food. Yelp's a good resource in my opinion. Check into recommended TexMex places, BBQ, southern/comfort/soul food, etc if you want food from this region.