Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replace Brake Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 05:51 PM
DubsackDev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace Brake Master Cylinder

Hey all,

Looking to replace my brake master cylinder on my 1994 SC300 with either a used one, remanufactured one or an aftermarket. I know I can find a used one on Facebook pages but ideally I would want an upgraded aftermarket one. A friend said I should be able to get one from Wilwood but I cannot see how to search by car and don't know the exact style I need.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket ones that are a for sure fit or a place to get a remanufactured one?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Old 03-02-23, 11:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,239 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by DubsackDev
Hey all,

Looking to replace my brake master cylinder on my 1994 SC300 with either a used one, remanufactured one or an aftermarket. I know I can find a used one on Facebook pages but ideally I would want an upgraded aftermarket one. A friend said I should be able to get one from Wilwood but I cannot see how to search by car and don't know the exact style I need.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket ones that are a for sure fit or a place to get a remanufactured one?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
--Check into the GR Heritage Parts new OEM brake booster for 1993-2002 MKIV Supras. If still available at least one of those listed should fit the SC300/400. They may be possible to order within the U.S. or may have to be ordered from an overseas distributor (Amayam, RHDJapan, etc.). Very expensive though.

--Some aftermarket remanufactured examples should be available on Rockauto.

--The 1993-1997 SC300/400 Brake Booster OEM overhaul kit is P/N 04493-30241 and is about $100.00 USD list price.

--Then there is also this company which does specialized remanufactured examples of vintage brake boosters: www.powerbrakex-change.com

The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (11-06-23)
Old 03-07-23, 05:53 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

If just the master cylinder is to be replaced, any of the big box auto parts stores or online (rockauto, amazon, etc) can get what you need. Just make sure you order the correct year, early was 2 bolt and later was 3 bolt (or maybe it's the other way around). Meaning the flange that connects it to the booster. Stay away from used, remember these things are minimum 20 years old and they go bad due to failing orings, seals, etc. There is no issue with the aftermarket offerings, but personally I would find one of the sellers that offer Aisin since that was OEM manufacturer.

When you go to replace it, make sure you bench bleed it before you install. All that means is pre-prime it with brake fluid when you have it off the car, it just is easier to get all of the air out before bolting to the car. If you are quick, you shouldn't run into issues with having the bleed the abs system, just bleed the 4 wheel calipers and you should be fine.

Kahn mentions the booster, they do go bad also but if you aren't having issues I would take a chance and roll with the one you have. I have only had 1 go bad on me, it was one that had seen heavy use on the race car and the failure was probably atypical of the normal failure mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXRodger:
Bimmerbill (03-08-23), KahnBB6 (03-08-23)
Old 03-24-23, 07:49 AM
DubsackDev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate yinz both!

I will do some digging on these sites!

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-23, 03:55 AM
timothy9x
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
--Check into the GR Heritage Parts new OEM brake booster for 1993-2002 MKIV Supras. If still available at least one of those listed should fit the SC300/400. They may be possible to order within the U.S. or may have to be ordered from an overseas distributor (Amayam, RHDJapan, etc.). Very expensive though.

--Some aftermarket remanufactured examples should be available on Rockauto.

--The 1993-1997 SC300/400 Brake Booster OEM overhaul kit is P/N 04493-30241 and is about $100.00 USD list price.

--Then there is also this company which does specialized remanufactured examples of vintage brake boosters: www.powerbrakex-change.com

Hi Kahn. I own a 1993 SC300 so it should be the 3-bolt pattern for my master cylinder. You're saying the A80 MKIV Toyota Supra's brake booster, fits into the SC300? They all come with a 2 stud pattern so if I replaced the master cylinder with a 2 bolt pattern, it should work?

Sorry, I'm not a mechanic and need to replace my brake booster. I was told to swap both booster and cylinder due to contaminants.