Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Concern after grease leaked from toe control

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 11:44 PM
owenmccull
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Concern after grease leaked from toe control

I just did my first big car job past an oil change with a neighbor of mine and we replaced the driver side front and rear hub assemblies on my 2012 IS350, RWD.

I only bought my car used in Feb, and about 3 weeks into owning the car I slid out on a wet road (not use to RWD) and slammed quite hard into a curb. Got a nasty gash in my rear tire and car started riding rough since.

took to a mechanic and they quoted me 2100$ to replace both hubs on the drivers side. Ended up doing ti with my neighbor over the course of 3 days. While installing the rear we had to take apart the entire rear suspension. According to ALLDATA we should of used a new dust cover, and two new bolts on the toe control and the no2 rear upper control arm. Those bolts are on order rn but we are currently using the old
ones. the only issue I’m concerned about was on the toe control. When we took our the bolt a significant amount of grease came out of the rubber seal. Is this of concern? My neighbor seemed to think it was fine but he is more familiar with older American vehicles than imports.

As of now, the car seems to be driving better than after it was hit. It’s been aligned, new tires in the rear, balanced in the rear and everything was torqued to spec. Only thing I have left to do is balance the front two tires. The alignment shop said I needed to install aftermarket camber control to fix my camber on the rear right side, but I think that was in the vehicle when I bought it as I hit the left side. They drive the car multiple times and claimed everything was good, but it still seems to drift a bit to the left…

My issue is I feel like the car seems more stiff than it originally did. The left side of the vehicle seems to wobble a bit and a few bumps a lot more than I used to in the road. I’ve taken it up to 70mph for extended periods of time fine and it seems to drive fine. I think it might just be me being anxious after working on the car that we forgot something and that the whole wheel will fall off….
Advuce on how to tell if there’s something wrong, my neighbor and the alignment guys have driven it claiming it’s fine, but something is irking me about the car. If that toe control is a big issue please let me know…

Toe control with grease on rear