Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The definitive Weight Reduction list..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 01:00 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Hameed
Absolutely! Please find out all you can and let me know.
OK, will do. Off to practice my rusty german now, LOL.
Old 10-29-03, 03:09 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default After Market Seat Weights

The latest Sport Compact Car has specs for about 75 after market seats. By no means comprehensive but it can provide you with a pretty good idea. sOlo [IS300] replaced his seats and mentioned that he did not think the weight reduction was significant in part due to the weight of the brackets and bracing that was required.
Old 10-29-03, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: The definitive Weight Reduction list..........

I know this topic has been beaten to death on this forum judging by the posts that come on a search for the two words "Weight Reduction". However I want to establish a definitive list for reducing the weight of a GS400 for two main reasons:[list=1][*]improving the handling of the car as well [*]simply trying to make the car less heavy[/list=1]
My goal for this weight reduction is anywhere from 100 to 300 lbs. Yes that may seem unrealistic, but I will definitely give it my best. Before you tell me to sell the car and buy a lighter one (or ask why I bought such a heavy car in the first place - I just plain love a GS400), please keep in mind that I do NOT intend to sell my car and , so that is not an option as far as I am concerned.

I also want to say that my motives for weight reduction have absolutely nothing to do with trying to reduce 0 - 60 times (although reducing the weight will definitely have some impact on that), so please don't tell me I have a GS400 (albeit with enough horsepower), so why am I concerned about weight. I simply want to reduce the porkliness of a GS400 and thus improve the handling - that's it!

I have all the usual handling mods on my car, so it is not just about putting on stb's, stiffer sways, stiffer shocks, lcb's etc to improve the handling. I have that covered already.

Here's a list that I have come up with.
[list=1][*]Lighter rims/tires. Currently I have the stock 17 inch chrome rims with some terrible Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons 235/45/17 all around. Going to HRE 19's 547R with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-DR 245/35 19 x 9 front and 285/30 - 19 x 10 rear next year perhaps. Approximately how much weight will that save?[*]Bigger brake kit such as the STOPTECH 14inch rotor and 6 pot calipers. How much weight will that save?[*]Removing the spare tire from the trunk [*]Swapping out the front seats with some good quality light weight racing seats such as Sparco's. Don't know how much weight that will reduce. I am sure the cost would be high too.[*]Not considering ceramic rotors as those are prohibitively espensive, assuming they are even available for a GS400[/list=1]
Any other suggestions guys?
hameed that's interesting!

1) if you get HRE wheels in 19, you probably save 1lb or so. i know that the 20s hre 540r series it's around dead even 26lb, which is about the same as the stock wheels. but you need to keep in mind the tires would become the main factor, coz' tires in 19s or 20s they are heavier than that of 17s. talked to bob of hre he told me he didn't feel much slower going from his 17 to his 20s hre.

about tires, you should get toyo t1-s if you want to save weight. it's the lightest tires out there with max performance. not sure about the good year, but it's definitely heavier.

2) stoptech doesn't have 6 pots setup at all for the GS so you can only get 4 pots. the brakes are definitely going to help, not only the braking but also unsprung weight. the calipers alone will save a lot already. my ap racing is 5 or 6lb and the stock is 15lb. even the rotors my ap racing 13.5" rotor are lighter than the supra tt 12.7" rotor (most coz' of the aluminum hat)

3) the spare tire will definitely help, we talking about 40lb here so everything counts. just make sure you get aaa.

4) seats... umm.... dunno. personally i won't go too far as in weight reduction to the point of changing the seats. i still want luxury on my car. coz' if i really want to reduce weight, i would take away the back seat, change both front seats, take away all carpets, take away all audio stuff, take away moonroof and just close the opening, etc... but man, i want to cruise!
Old 10-29-03, 06:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Well Hameed... I'm somewhat down the road you're talking about. I now have the StopTechs installed. I didn't actually weigh the new setup but I've sent e-mail to StopTech to get that info. I can definitely tell they were lighter now that I can feel the HEAVY stock setup off the car. I believe my 19" HREs, the fronts at least, were only a 1lb or so heavier than the stock 17's. The rears are probably heavier, being 10" wide.

I swapped out the stock spare with a Supra compact spare. It occurred to me when I put that in that I haven't in fact tried the compact spare over the new brakes, so I'll have to check! The compact spare is probably 10lbs than the full size one.

The problem with the weight quest is that some of the suspension mods have added a LOT of weight. You know what the Tom's rear LCB is like - a BEAST!

But removing rear mats, trunk mat, etc., is a good idea to save weight. For me I'm not about to not drive around with the car jack in case I get stuck, but you could remove that too of course.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-29-03 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 08:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Well Hameed... I'm somewhat down the road you're talking about. I now have the StopTechs installed. I didn't actually weigh the new setup but I've sent e-mail to StopTech to get that info. I can definitely tell they were lighter now that I can feel the HEAVY stock setup off the car. I believe my 19" HREs, the fronts at least, were only a 1lb or so heavier than the stock 17's. The rears are probably heavier, being 10" wide.

I swapped out the stock spare with a Supra compact spare. It occurred to me when I put that in that I haven't in fact tried the compact spare over the new brakes, so I'll have to check! The compact spare is probably 10lbs than the full size one.

The problem with the weight quest is that some of the suspension mods have added a LOT of weight. You know what the Tom's rear LCB is like - a BEAST!

But removing rear mats, trunk mat, etc., is a good idea to save weight. For me I'm not about to not drive around with the car jack in case I get stuck, but you could remove that too of course.
yeah you better check the spare man. i know it clears my ap racing fine, but it's only 13.5". i don't know with 14" what you are looking at. the caliper to spoke clearance is tehre for sure, but diameter, umm...
Old 11-04-03, 04:09 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One gallon of gasoline = 6 lbs or so, so if you keep a 1/4 tank, you'll be saving like 90 lbs.
Removing the full size spare saves another 50lbs or so.
Go with light weight wheels. Could save like 9-10 lbs per wheel (which I've read is very significant).
Go on a diet yourself

I dunno dude... I'd love to reduce some of the GS weight too, but giving up the luxury aspects of the car is tough to do.
Old 11-04-03, 04:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Summary of weight reduction strategy without sacrificing too much luxury:
[list=1][*]Lighweight 18 inch rims - what would you CL guys get in 18's? Some suggestions based on light weight
SSR Competitions
Volk TE-37
Volk LE-37K - about 16lbs per corner. Savings of 10lbs per corner - total 40 lbs[*]Some good quality racing seats - saving about 20lbs per front seat - total 40 lbs[*]StopTech Big Brake Kit - saving about 10 lbs per corner - total 20 lbs[*]Carbon Fiber Hood (painted ofcourse to match the car color) - saving 27 lbs[*]Remove the Engine Cover - not sure how much that weights - maybe 3 - 4 lbs[*]Remove the rear Headrests - maybe another 10lbs total[*]Remove the spare and the tools - another 50lbs[*]Just fill the tank halfway only - not sure of the weight saving here. maybe another 50 lbs[/list=1]

Total potential savings = 240 lbs approximately.

Now I wonder how much of that was negated by the suspension/handling/bracing mods I added to the car:
TRD front LCB, TRD front STB, Toms rear LCB, Cusco rear STB, TRD racing sways,

Other mods that have added some weight
HighTeck Grounding Kit,
Fog light HID kit (the ballasts being the culprits here),
The L-tuned side skirts (I don't think these added anything here as they seem to weigh the same as the stock side skirts),

Is this really worth it? I guess the wheels, brake kit, removing the spare, CF Hood might be worth it, but the rest - I dunno. In the end it appears as if there won't be any savings at all considering other mods that have added weight to the car.
Old 11-04-03, 02:09 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

240 lbs is a lot.
I am sure you would notice it.
Old 11-05-04, 01:32 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wait a second...

I weigh 250lbs... I should lose some weight and increase my gas mileage and vehicular performance!
Old 11-05-04, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: wait a second...

Originally posted by cliffud
I weigh 250lbs... I should lose some weight and increase my gas mileage and vehicular performance!
haha yeah, that's always the first thing you should look into
Old 11-08-04, 08:49 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do our cars already have aluminum driveshafts? Not only do they reduce weight, but it's rotating weight. That was an old 5.0 Mustang mod.
Old 11-17-04, 10:44 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when we did our local meet the user KevinLe removed some of his support beams which reduced hella a lot of weight.. trishten and i discussed that in doing this, weight is reduced but if u ever get into front end collision ur engine will get it. Kevin also removed some rear supports.
Old 11-18-04, 04:28 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by chuckb
Do our cars already have aluminum driveshafts? Not only do they reduce weight, but it's rotating weight. That was an old 5.0 Mustang mod.
nobody knows?
Old 11-18-04, 05:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

No, the GS does not have an aluminum drive shaft.
Old 11-18-04, 07:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

No, the GS does not have an aluminum drive shaft.
allright then-I wonder how much for a custom aluminun driveshaft and where to go.

I bet it would help performance

Quick Reply: The definitive Weight Reduction list..........