Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

02 gs300 clunk ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 07:02 PM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 gs300 clunk ideas

So i have seen many threds but no one has my issue. This car has been a mess since i got it. I will first list parts or work done and then we get to the issue.

Replaced:
Valve cover gaskets
Vvti gear
Water pump
Crank pulley
Sensor
(Basically whole timing blah)
Struts
Strut caps (front=f)
Upper control arms(f)
Lower forward and rearward control arms(f)
Brakes and rotors(all)
Sway bar links and bushings(f)
Alternator
Vvti solenoid
Ball joints

So after lots of money in the last year i have a problem that 5 shops cant figure out. 4 shops have said different control arms or struts or strut caps but none have fixed my issue. Shop today confimed all front end suspension parts are good and all are tight.

Problem is there is a clunk coming from the front end that no one can locate and today it was suggested i take it to a body shop for some sonar diag to locate the problem. Car hasnt been wrecked and has 280k+ on the odometer. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I was thinking engine mounts but the engine sits level and doesnt jump or vibrate. It does it all the time driving. Turning, stopping, straight line in forward or reverse, pot holes, any adjustment on suspension but also makes the same noise when jacking it up with a floor jack. I have tried holding suspension parts to feel for vibrations when it pops put cant find it. I cant figure what would cause this and after months and thousands of dollars i am no where close to finding the cause not to mention i cant find anyone with the sonar diag equipment.
Old 05-10-23, 10:38 PM
cone_killr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A few possibilities, but start with the simplest: sway bar links slipping. Check the nut torque on the link studs.
Old 05-11-23, 04:33 AM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

Links and bushing are all good and tight. Mechanic said it sounds like something in the cradle or top end but everything he could check is tight. This car is a pain.
Old 05-11-23, 02:17 PM
cone_killr
Driver

Originally Posted by MrDugan90
Links and bushing are all good and tight. Mechanic said it sounds like something in the cradle or top end but everything he could check is tight. This car is a pain.
So I'd ask for the torque value, but "all is tight" is the likely refrain.
Remove the fr sway bar and see what happens.

Last edited by cone_killr; 05-11-23 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 03:27 PM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

Cant hurt to try. I will post results after complete removal
Old 05-11-23, 10:22 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

When the suspension was installed where the bolts torqued with load or not.
Old 05-12-23, 04:46 AM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

All bolts were torqued at ride height under load yes.
Old 05-15-23, 08:16 PM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

Default Update

So i narrowed it down to the driver upper control arm bushing mounts. The bolts are tight to the point of feeling like anymore and i will snap them but the clunk is from the steel bushing sleeve adjusting(popping) into place when the control arm moves up and down. Anyone have this problem or have any idea how to fix it?
Old 06-09-23, 09:42 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

So i narrowed it down to the driver upper control arm bushing mounts. The bolts are tight to the point of feeling like anymore and i will snap them but the clunk is from the steel bushing sleeve adjusting(popping) into place when the control arm moves up and down. Anyone have this problem or have any idea how to fix it?
Yes, it happened to me on the passenger side. As a result, I replaced the upper control arms on both sides, and the lower caster arms.
Tried two times aftermarket parts (Mevotech) and they lasted one year and rattled again in the same places. I changed it under warranty, but I got tired of disassembling and assembling the suspension every year.
This time I put all OEM suspension arms.
Old 06-10-23, 05:16 AM
MrDugan90
6th Gear

Default Found it

After chasing all the work from the shops and going through with a stethoscope i found my issue. Upper control arm bushing driver side. Its still good but i assumed the shop would follow torque specs. They most definitely did not. When i said previously that the bolts were tight to the point of feeling like they would snap they were. However they shouldnt be. Upper control arm bolts were so over tightened that it actually bent the mount tabs. They call for 39 foot pounds and as they arent adjustable they dont actually clamp the bushing but secure it. After loosening it the sound disappeared. Set it to proper torque spec and it rides like a dream.
Old 06-14-23, 07:51 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 204 Posts

After chasing all the work from the shops and going through with a stethoscope i found my issue. Upper control arm bushing driver side. Its still good but i assumed the shop would follow torque specs. They most definitely did not. When i said previously that the bolts were tight to the point of feeling like they would snap they were. However they shouldnt be. Upper control arm bolts were so over tightened that it actually bent the mount tabs. They call for 39 foot pounds and as they arent adjustable they dont actually clamp the bushing but secure it. After loosening it the sound disappeared. Set it to proper torque spec and it rides like a dream.
damn Gorilla’s are always to cool for a torque wrench.
The following users liked this post:
MrDugan90 (06-19-23)
Old 06-19-23, 09:48 AM
cone_killr
Driver

Yay persistence! Sweet that you traced this down & congrats on all your efforts finally paying-off.

Last edited by cone_killr; 06-19-23 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrDugan90 (06-19-23)