Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question for folks running TT wheels and brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-03, 03:21 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question for folks running TT wheels and brakes...

...what did you do about the spare tire?

Since the oem SC spare won't fit over the TT front brakes, I only see 2 options: get another TT front rim and tire, but since it's an inch wider than stock, I wonder if the trunk floor will fit over it properly; or, get the Supra steel spare, which is apparently a 17x4, which means a skinny mini-spare-tire.

I think I can get a steel skinny spare wheel for about $60. Is that the best way to go?

(No, going without a spare isn't an option - )
Old 11-03-03, 06:53 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

strongsail....If you can get the skinny spare for $60, the get it. Dont rely on fix-a-flat or AAA. I blew a tire a couple of weeks back and was in a pinch. It was evening and I chose the fix-a-flat method first and found most of the can leaking out around the three gashes in the tire . Then a call to AAA, who dispatched a tow.....the shop mech was gon for the day and couldnt fix a flat anyway
A quick panic call to LexLuthers Emergency Spare Loaner Service had me back on the road in less than an hour
Get the spare

gadgetSC-t
Old 11-03-03, 10:44 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two Supra TT front rims right now, one that I'm using for a spare. It fits in the trunk with no problems.

Let me know if you want my other supra tt front spare, PM me.
Old 11-03-03, 11:12 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ditched the spare for 100$ to some desperate chap. I also have two sets of supra TT wheels. One will fit in the trunk space well. I pack one on long trips, but I just keep the cell handy for local runs. Like gadget says, it helps to have friends. Have never had a blow out though. Now where did that piece of wood go.
Old 11-04-03, 05:19 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

go for the TT wheel.....unless you want to drive around on this Ugly thing (OEM TT spare wheel)
Attached Thumbnails Question for folks running TT wheels and brakes...-sept-108.jpg  
Old 11-06-03, 08:09 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for the skinny ugly one. It will weigh less which is important if you have packed all the time. Not only that, but how often do you really need to use the spare? I decided to take mine out last week except for long trips.
Old 11-09-03, 10:11 PM
strongsail
Instructor

AcleanSC4, Hold That Thought...I will get with you on that kind offer of a Supra front rim as soon as I can. When I had some brake work done recently, the shop tried a front rim in the trunk, and they said it didn't fit well. I have not tried it myself. Does the floor liner fit down nicely, or is the tire too high? Does it fit well with the face of the wheel in the bottom of the spare tire well?

I am tending toward the skinny spare too. Gadget, thanks for the pic. I have found the spare wheel on a website for about $60 and then there's the tire, yeek this brake upgrade ain't gettin' any cheaper, I am driving the car 2000 miles at Thanksgiving, I gotta get this sorted out...

AcleanSC4, really, let me know if your spare is a good fit, 'cuz I do like the idea of an alloy spare - I used to drive a Peugeot 505 Turbogas (hey, don't laugh) and it came stock with five alloys, I always thought that was kind of classy -
Old 11-10-03, 02:30 PM
killerlex
Rookie

i rather use the slim spare,since its lighter and i only plan on useing the spare to get me home, not ride around in..
Old 11-18-03, 11:47 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Well, here's an update on the search for a spare - I have had another look at the spare well, and the stock spare fills it to the brim. I know if I put a TT front wheel & tire in there, it will stick up out of the well by at least an inch. Then, I will have to fab up some hard foam bracing to support the trunk floor so it won't sit high-centered on the wheel and be all wobbly. Not an exactly elegant solution.

But, it may be the only way I can go. I can get the oem TT steel spare wheel through a Toyota parts department for $112, and there's one in stock in their LA warehouse, but I *cannot* find the tire for it! No, Toyota no longer sells the spare wheel & tire assembly, they sell just the wheel, and they say there is no aftermarket tire available that will fit the 17x4 spare wheel.

Phooey! What would a TT owner do if he needed a new spare? According to Toyota, he would have to carry a full-size wheel & tire. That's what I will probably have to do too.

Anybody got any idea where I could find a TT compact spare wheel *with* tire? I will post to Supraforums too and see what they tell me, after the laughter dies down...
Old 11-18-03, 02:37 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Have you tried the wheels and tires forum? There's a tirerack.com rep in there that might be able to help you.

There has to be someone that makes a 17x4!
Old 11-18-03, 08:04 PM
strongsail
Instructor

Actually, I spoke too soon - I found out today that Bridgestone does make a 145/70-17, which is supposed to fit a 4" rim - - $200! So, with the oem wheel, freight, mounting, I'm $350 into my freaking spare tire
Old 11-18-03, 08:05 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Find a junked supra at the scrapyard and buy the spare off of it!
Old 11-19-03, 03:00 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

So, with the oem wheel, freight, mounting, I'm $350 into my freaking spare tire
I know how you feel

gadgetSC-t
Old 11-19-03, 09:39 PM
killerlex
Rookie

look in salvage yards,you might even find one never used in a totaled car.

Last edited by killerlex; 11-19-03 at 09:40 PM.