Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are the TRD sway bars and strut braces worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-03, 05:14 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Thanks for the input....

Originally posted by FilBoiLsGs
My goal is to remove the body lean but still maintain the composure of the Lexus quality ride and looking forward to wear 18 or 19 inch wheel.
Not exactly an expert but I so have some experience to pass on. First off, ride quality will decrease and noise will increase as you move up the sizes. Face it, there is just less rubber (height-wise) for cushion and more rubber (width-wise/contact patch). You'll need to determine what kind of compromises you are willing to make.

1) If you are given the chance to modify, what would you do to the suspension and adjoining parts to come up with the above goal and prepare the car for the future 18 or 19 inch wheel set up without removing anything and switching that might cost more?

3) The challenging part: Since the coil over is too expensive ( est. 1,500 + install ) How would you spend the same amount to complete the suspension set up ( suspension cost only; without wheels) that can work with perfect harmony with the 300 hp stock engine?
For me 1 and 3 kind of go together. First off, how concerned are you with the fender/wheel gap? I've seen 20s with just the L-Tuned S/S and it does not look bad. If you are the tuck or almost tuck kind of guy, you will need coilovers, regardless of what they cost. Coilovers also give you the best flexibility in terms of dampening and height.

You also have to realize what kind of disease this modding is. When I first joined, I got the L-Tuned S/S. Others were saying to get coilovers and not waste $. Well, I got S/S and now have coilovers. If you even have thoughts in the back of your mind about coilovers, save up and get them.

That said, there are springs now like Daizen and Espelir where you get more lowering without losing much ride quality. With all this in mind, your answer to the looking forward is to

1. Get coilovers, and if you want ride quality: Tein CS, HKS HiperMax LS
2. Get S/S: L-Tuned or just shocks and apir them with Daizen or Espelir springs.

2) What brand ( Tom's/TRD/Ugo, TTE, l-tuned, lsportline... etc..) would you buy as a set ( without mix-match ) and still attain the almost perfect balance ( also consider warranty ) and why?
Daizen sways. Then Tom's or TRD front LCB and one of Tom's rear pieces (6-link or LCB)

Both sport tuned S/S systems or coilovers will help towards body roll. Sways will definitely help body roll. Only you can tell what your limits and levels of compromises are. If your only goal was body roll, I would suggest the sways first to see if they address your problem. Since you want some forward preparation towards larger wheels, then I'd say S/S or coilovers first. See how that feels. If you can handle the changes (good and bad) and want more, do the sways. Most would be OK here. If more than do the TRD/Tom's pieces I suggested.

Remember, though, you can do all this with your 17s and get a nice balance somewhere in all that upgrade. Adding larger wheels will throw this off. This is partly why people do S/S or coilovers with wheels to follow.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-03, 05:49 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Yes, absolutely worth it. Also consider the Daizen sway bars (do a search to look for info on those please, plenty of recent threads).

If you want to come to Charlotte, I can arrange a ride in my GS with all the suspension goodies and probably can get one with TomTNC who has the Daizens.
Never made me that offer J/K
Old 11-10-03, 07:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally posted by Letsride
Never made me that offer J/K
Bring it on! Drive on down this weekend and we'll do a mini-meet. Save me a stamp on those brake decals, lol.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-10-03 at 07:11 PM.