Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

1998 Lower Control Arm mix and match/bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 12:13 PM
Canz
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 Lower Control Arm mix and match/bushings

Hello

I know this topic has been done to death but from searching all the threads seem old and I wanted to know if there is any new knowledge I am missing out on. My 1998 SC has had one control arm side replaced with poly bushings. From what I looked at you need to cut the control arm to fit bushings from 92-96 SCs and the arm on my car isn't cut and doesn't match any of the 97+ bushings I see online.

I wanted to know if
A. anybody can find these bushings (in red) (images attached below of my front right and front left control arm)
B. if mixing and matching rubber bushings with poly bushings is okay (one side rubber one side poly)
C. If I replace my entire FR arm with a brand new supra arm would the car still be drivable? would the difference in weight or model make any difference on one side compared to the other? is there anything I need to watch out for? I need a new balljoint anyway since mine leaked all the grease, but I don't want to spend $600-800 for a new arm plus replacing bushings.

Please help out with links to any old threads that have this answered (that I may have missed). I already know Diazen makes bushings, but from what I have heard TMengineering arent really the best with their shipping times.

Thanks in advance (all my bushings for my LCA below)

FR LCA Bushing rear

FR LCA Bushing rear

FL LCA Bushing rear

FL LCA Bushing front

FR LCA Bushing front (bluetooth bushings)

FL LCA Bushings rear

FL LCA Bushing front
Old 12-29-23, 08:42 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

What do you mean by the arms being cut? As far as I know there is no difference in any of the arm fitments.

As far as mixed bushings it depends on what you are doing with the car. If street driving I would have no issue running the Supra solid rubber bushing arm on one side and poly on the other. In fact I have done that on one of my street SC’s. On a track car, probably not but even then it depends.
Old 12-30-23, 08:21 PM
Canz
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXRodger
What do you mean by the arms being cut? As far as I know there is no difference in any of the arm fitments.

As far as mixed bushings it depends on what you are doing with the car. If street driving I would have no issue running the Supra solid rubber bushing arm on one side and poly on the other. In fact I have done that on one of my street SC’s. On a track car, probably not but even then it depends.
by arms cut (like 70% sure on this one) since I have 98 arms they’re different where bushings don’t fit because they’re too long and there is a sleeve that is hard to take out or something along those lines. I’m a little past the point of just bushings my ball joint has no grease so I was mostly wondering if i just got a new Supra arm would my ride be unstable since I have “mismatched” arms? Where my driver side arm is my SC arm while my passenger side is a Supra arm

also this car is purely street purpose no tracking just needs to drive straight with no vibrations

also thank you for letting me know there are no issues with different bushings