Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Most cost effective way to get my SC400 back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-24, 05:53 PM
evandalize22
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most cost effective way to get my SC400 back on the road

One pic of drivers side, one pic of passengers side. My 1998 Lexus SC400 has been taking a beating on potholed roads for awhile now and it doesn't help she's on coilovers.

The front end finally broke for real on a big bump and now the car won't steer properly and alignment is way off.

I believe the control arms are loose or broken, and boots are leaking badly.

Based on these photos, what would you say needs immediate attention to get her drivable? Can I just replace bushings or do I need all new lower control arms? If so l saw they cost about $1600 for a set of two or maybe $1100 ish for Supra LCA, is anyone familiar with alternatives or ways to fix this cheaper?

Thanks
Old 06-19-24, 12:02 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

Swipe once, cry once is usually the norm. You can shop around for the Supra control arms. Visit stealership sites and look for them in the parts sections. They're often cheaper when you order online and pick them up locally, if you find somewhere cheaper add the cost of shipping and see if it's more cost effective to ship them vs picking them up locally. Suspension and steering bits are crucial to any vehicle's longevity, you don't really want to rush those things. If steering is an issue, maybe try your hand at rebuilding the rack via Youtube University. If your steering is gone, you may want to figure out what's broken before you do anything. You can always purchase a reman one for a core exchange and pick up a rebuild kit so that you could try rebuilding it in the future when it starts to go.
I picked up Supra LCA for $350 per side from the local stealership, I built a relationship with the parts counter people, and they would often try to give me a discount on parts to make it competitive to online parts prices.
you can always save some and find the aftermarket ones like Battle Version ones, or Megan racing or other available bits.