Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-24, 09:55 AM
mocha1985
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear

Hi! About a year ago, I took my 2012 RWD IS250 to a shop to replace my 2 rear wheel hub assemblies. I used Timekn's. Right after that, I started hearing a weird noise from the back of the car, as if one of the rear wheel assemblies was defective (or not installed properly - more on this below). Almost the same noise you get when you drive on those highways with "ribbed" shoulders. The noise increased with speed, and I noticed it *almost* only while driving on the right lane of certain (but not all) highways. I ignored it initially thinking I was just being paranoid. About 2 months ago, I did the brakes and while doing the rear, noticed that one of the hubs was installed with 3 (!) out of the 4 bolts. I installed the missing bolt, but the noise was still there, which made me think that the shop that installed the wheel hub assembly with 3 bolts ruined it. I replaced both rear hubs with new genuine Toyota hubs, but the noise is still there. Is it possible this defective-hub-like noise is caused by tire "cupping" caused by a defective shock? What else could it be? I have 4 new tires on (Toyo Proxis Sport, installed about 1 year ago, barely 10k miles on them) and none of the shocks or struts is leaking. Appreciate any thoughts on what I should do next. I didn't notice any irregular tire wear when I did the brakes (but I also wasn't looking for tire "cupping"). I'd like to avoid just "throwing parts" on it, as much as I'd like to install 4 new KYBs.

Thanks!!
Old 08-19-24, 04:17 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Incorrect installation would be my first guess.

Wrong bolt(s) used to mount the bearing? See on the inside if the CV axle is not rubbing against the bolt.
If you see any grease or torn boot the noise you hear could actually be coming from bad CV axle.
Inspect ABS sensor, Speed sensor, CV boot for damage.

Let us know how it goes

In the future post in "Normal Threads" as these stay on top and more people see them.

Old 08-19-24, 10:22 PM
mocha1985
5th Gear

Originally Posted by primavera
Incorrect installation would be my first guess.

Wrong bolt(s) used to mount the bearing? See on the inside if the CV axle is not rubbing against the bolt.
If you see any grease or torn boot the noise you hear could actually be coming from bad CV axle.
Inspect ABS sensor, Speed sensor, CV boot for damage.

Let us know how it goes

In the future post in "Normal Threads" as these stay on top and more people see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joyIBTWju3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNS9nyZpEqs
thank you!

** the bolts are new and they matched the old ones. Nothing was torn or rubbing. But will inspect again.
Old 08-21-24, 06:09 AM
mocha1985
5th Gear

@primavera - nothing torn or rubbing in the rear. Installation looks fine. I took the car to a tire shop to check wheel/tire balance, and all 4(!) required balancing. The tires and wheels are about 1 year old, and they were balanced at purchase.

Edit: tires were inspected (by myself and the tire guy) and seemed fine. Couldn't see "cupping" on rear tires.

Did a quick drive on the right lane of a certain highway, and noise is still there. Drivability seems to have improved a bit.

Any (additional) ideas what could be causing that noise?
Old 08-22-24, 10:45 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

What does it actually sound like?
often times people knock a dust shield loose thats over the outer CV joint, that usually takes out the ABS sensor and it would typically make noise all the time. Either post up some audio or get it in the air sitting on the lower control arms and place in gear to listen. Be safe. Turn trac off.
Old 08-22-24, 11:00 AM
mocha1985
5th Gear

It's the tires. Went to a Toyota dealership and did a drive with a technician. It's not a bearing nor anything else rubbing; technician thinks it's the tires. I agree. Took it back to the shop looked around but he said he disnt find anything. Suggested I take it to another tires shop, so they could give a second opinion on the tires.
So, USD200 later, I still don't know what causes the tires to make that noise while driving on the right lane of some highways.
(the noise is similar to when you drive on those highways with ribbed shoulders.)
Old 08-22-24, 05:58 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Installing different wheels for couple hours would give you the right answer. Are you able to come up with a different set? How about winter tires?
Old 08-22-24, 09:23 PM
mocha1985
5th Gear

Originally Posted by primavera
Installing different wheels for couple hours would give you the right answer. Are you able to come up with a different set? How about winter tires?
Was thinking of how i could do that (put on other tires). I might just go to get a second opinion from a tire shop and suggest to put on some other tires they have laying around to test if my tires are causing the noise. I believe it should work. Otherwise, dont have another set of wheels or tires (we dont need winter tires).

thanks!