Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bushing clarification

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 07:57 AM
meddle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bushing clarification

Im looking into replacing my control arm bushings. Ive read the discussions/arguements over whether Daizen or Vlamos are better and Ive decided that they will both do the job.

I am, however, still a little confused as to what a complete upgrade is.

From Daizen it looks like $320 will get me a full upgrade for all of the control arm bushings front/rear, upper/lower.

From Vlamos Im having a hard time figuring out how much it would cost for the full upgrade for my SC300. Looks like the lowers are $270 american dollars, but Im not sure if thats front/rear. I know that Vlamos now offers uppers as well.

Any help in clarifying the price difference for the complete upgrade/replacement (excluding labor) would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-03, 10:04 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Daizen prices can be found at TMEngineering.net
Old 12-03-03, 01:55 PM
meddle
Rookie

I know, thats where I got the $320 from.
Old 12-09-03, 08:35 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally posted by meddle
I know, thats where I got the $320 from.
did they go up in price cause i paid 99.95 for my bushings and 29.95 for my sways....unless im missing something...

CEO
Old 12-09-03, 08:57 AM
meddle
Rookie

SC300/SC400 92-96 Front DST-S1-2002 99.95

SC300/SC400 *92-00 Front DST-S1-2004 159.95

SC300/SC400 92-00 Rear DST-S1-2003 159.95

*Press-in kit - Same as 2002/2002A but requires hydraulic press to install

This is what I dont understand. Planet Soarer refers to the bushings as being F and R, for front and rear bushings on the arms of the front wheels. Is TM Engineering talking about Front/Rear as being the front wheels and the back wheels? Or are these prices only referring to the front suspension?

My understanding is that there is an upper and lower control arm for the front wheels, and just an upper control arm for the rear wheel. All of these are offered by Vlamos, but are a good deal more expensive than the polyurethane type.

Based on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=101042

I was wondering if I could get the Vlamos uppers for front and rear to get that stock ride comfort back, and save some money by getting the Daizen lowers in front. Maybe doing it like this would allow me to permanently correct the camber problems since Ill have upgraded the lowers to polyurethane Daizens, but I wont get the rough jarring I could expect out of using the stiff Daizens for the uppers?
Old 12-09-03, 06:07 PM
95sc300t
Driver

I'm unfamiliar with the Vlamos product, but if it is similar in feel to the stock uppers, then it should be fine for road-comfort, but honestly, I'd just use the stockers, as they just don't go bad like the lowers do.
Old 12-13-03, 02:29 AM
kurt
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: bushing clarification

Originally posted by meddle
Im looking into replacing my control arm bushings. Ive read the discussions/arguements over whether Daizen or Vlamos are better and Ive decided that they will both do the job.

I am, however, still a little confused as to what a complete upgrade is.

From Daizen it looks like $320 will get me a full upgrade for all of the control arm bushings front/rear, upper/lower.

From Vlamos Im having a hard time figuring out how much it would cost for the full upgrade for my SC300. Looks like the lowers are $270 american dollars, but Im not sure if thats front/rear. I know that Vlamos now offers uppers as well.

Any help in clarifying the price difference for the complete upgrade/replacement (excluding labor) would be appreciated.
It cost me around $750 USD to get the front upper/lower bushings, the rear upper and the power steering bushings. I was able to get a check in Andrew's name in Ausi dollars at Frost Bank, and it cost 80 cents to mail it to him. I just recieved them a couple of days ago so I haven't installed them yet.

http://www.planetsoarer.com/upperbushes/upperbushes.htm
http://www.planetsoarer.com/bushes/bushes.htm

If you haven't already visited these pages then you should have a look at them. Andrew made it very clear to me that using the poly bushings would give a horrible ride.........of course other people with the poly bushings have said the ride is acceptable so you should take all the info you can and make your own decision. Andrew's advise to me was "under no circumstances should you fit poly bushes to your car"

I'd recomend you give him an e-mail vlamos@bigpond.net.au and talk to him about the bushings.
Old 12-13-03, 07:31 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Sooo.... Andrew sells the other buschings, and does not recommend the ones that he doesn't sell?

I say my ride is now far superior to with the stock buschings. It may or may not be as good as the other aftermarket buschings out there, but it IS better, and for that much price difference, I'd never buy the others for a slightly increased ride COMFORT. Like I was saying, I'd just leave the front uppers untouched, and stock, as that is where most of the noise came from.
Old 12-13-03, 06:24 PM
kurt
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by 95sc300t
Sooo.... Andrew sells the other buschings, and does not recommend the ones that he doesn't sell?

I say my ride is now far superior to with the stock buschings. It may or may not be as good as the other aftermarket buschings out there, but it IS better, and for that much price difference, I'd never buy the others for a slightly increased ride COMFORT. Like I was saying, I'd just leave the front uppers untouched, and stock, as that is where most of the noise came from.
Yes, you are correct. Andrew does not recomend the plastic bushings. They are harsher than rubber bushings and they get noisey if you don't keep them greased. They are easier to install and cost less though. Like I said, gather the info and make the descision that's right for you.