Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Does it take longer to install coilovers than S/S on GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 12:15 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it take longer to install coilovers than S/S on GS430?

How much longer does it take to install coilovers rather than shocks/springs? Will it be a lot more $'s to have coilovers installed?

I'm getting a 2001 GS430 and debating about which route to take. Bilsteins w/ Eibachs or possibly the Bilstein, HKS, ApexiWS, or maybe the JIC coilovers. I like the Bilstein lifetime warranty and the price. For about $200 more than the S/S combo is it really any better and will I like the ride - concerned it's too stiff. Some of the posts talk about this. Or will it make the car handle like a dream compared to the S/S and I'd be loving it?

I don't want to lower the car more than about a inch or so - just want great handling without a harsh ride. So the lowering the car more than the S/S would is not something I care about. I'm wanting to make a fully informed decision on this and not end up spending more 'cause I didn't do it right the first time!

Thanks for all the information and opinions!

Scott
1993 MR2 Turbo
2001 GS430 coming soon
Old 12-14-03, 05:53 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as install goes, most shops should charge around the same for both. If you were going to do it yourself, the coilovers are actually easier. Most of them come pre assembled, so its a matter of taking the entire old assembly out, and installing the entire new assembly. With shocks and springs, you need to take apart the stock suspension and re assemble the new set up...meaning spring compressor, etc.. Neither one is really that big of a deal to do if you have any mechanical knowledge.

As far as performance goes, I prefer the coilovers, mostly because of the adjustability of both height and dampening that comes along with it. If you only need an inch drop and some increase in handling, but not all out adjustment capabilities....save your cash and go with the shocks and springs combo. It has been my experience that most people that start out with s/s combo, eventually go to coilovers for one reason or another...but of course this is not always the case.

Good Luck with it.
Old 12-14-03, 08:52 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to go to coilovers if you are just going for an inch drop max. Most people got coilovers for the adjustability reason. For car shows, they slam it. For track, they put it to max stiffness. For road, they raise it a little and put the stiffness to medium setting or so.

But if you want to set it and forget it (oh my, too much tv commercials), then get the eibach pro kit. Very nice ride, about 3/4" drop and I think would be perfect for you.

Hope I've helped.
Old 12-16-03, 04:25 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default coilovers

i like my coilovers way better than the eibach springs and bilstein shocks that i had. car is lowered to exactly where i want it not just where it ends up, and i can adjust away on how stiff i want them. but the thing i like the most is that the coilovers give the car far superior handling to the springs and shocks. how fast i go around curves is directly related to how big my ***** feel that day, and so far the car could always go faster than i've got the nuts to do. install took my mechanic all day but i think someone else could do it in about the same time as springs and shocks together. i've got the JIC MAGIC FLT-2A coilovers, all the toms braces and daizen sways. my wife had to ride in back seat ( because one of the kids broke his leg and needed the front seat on way to emerg. room ) complained about how rough the ride was back there. it is alot stiffer than her car for sure, she has all the same stuff except the coilovers, she kept the stock springs and shocks for the softer ride. get the coilovers you will love them.
Old 12-16-03, 05:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

As for the install, about the only difference there could be in pricing is if a guy through in a few extra bucks to fiddle with ride height with you to set it where you want. May or may not be reasonable but it can't be that much extra over just installing shocks and springs. Pick the one you want, the install cost just shouldn't be significant enough to throw it one way or the other.
Old 12-16-03, 07:56 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the good comments about this. I'm glad to hear that the install won't be much or any more that the S/S combo for the coilovers. After a little more research I'm pretty much sure I'm going with either the Bilstein PSS coilovers or the ApexiWS coilovers. Both of these use the stock tops rather than the solid ones JIC, and HKS use. This will keep some of the comfort and avoid some harshness in ride.

I'm currently driving my 1993 MR2 Turbo with Bilstein/Eibach S/S and the full TRD braces and sways along with the TRD bushings kit. It's a pretty firm ride, handles like it's on rails and I just love this car. I'm wanting to duplicate the great handling with the GS430 - but actually have more room and a more comfortable drive for anything over an hour or 2. I'm hoping I fall in love the 430 as much as I have with my 2. The car is being transported from Texas to CA Thursday and I'm hoping I'll have it beginning of next week.

If anyone has any opinions on the Bilstein PSS and/or Apexi WS coilovers I would sure welcome and appreciate your comments on both. Strengths and weaknesses of both systems would be great from someone who has them installed or ridden in cars with them - preferably on a rather stock car. Does anyone know if the Apexi's carry a lifetime warrenty like the Bilsteins?

I'm also going to probably go with the Daysain (didn't spell it right) sways after coilovers are installed. I like moding one thing at a time to see the difference. Anyone think the TRD stb would be a good brace to start with? This piece made a huge difference in the MR2 - seemed like the car was more solid, bumps were staying in the shocks and not going into the car, and the car tracked better. let me know! Thanks again everyone,

Scott Peebles
Old 12-22-03, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
As far as install goes, most shops should charge around the same for both. If you were going to do it yourself, the coilovers are actually easier. Most of them come pre assembled, so its a matter of taking the entire old assembly out, and installing the entire new assembly. With shocks and springs, you need to take apart the stock suspension and re assemble the new set up...meaning spring compressor, etc.. Neither one is really that big of a deal to do if you have any mechanical knowledge.

As far as performance goes, I prefer the coilovers, mostly because of the adjustability of both height and dampening that comes along with it. If you only need an inch drop and some increase in handling, but not all out adjustment capabilities....save your cash and go with the shocks and springs combo. It has been my experience that most people that start out with s/s combo, eventually go to coilovers for one reason or another...but of course this is not always the case.

Good Luck with it.
Hey Jeff, what kind of tools do you need to do this install yourself? I just got the Tein Flex and would like to use the install money for other mods ( ) if possible.