Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT Brakes: It Was Worth It!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 10:20 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TT Brakes: It Was Worth It!

I have about 2K miles on the TT front brake upgrade on my 93 SC4, and I feel it was definitely worth the money!

Better pedal feel and sensitivity, LOTS more braking power, no difference I can feel in front-rear bias.

Some folks have done the deed for less $$ - I wasn't patient enough to get the absolute best deal, but I still think it was a good investment. The car is more responsive and feels SAFER with these big brakes!

Here's the cost breakdown:

ARC reman calipers $239.84
core charge 80.00
Centric rotors 159.88
Sales tax on above items 42.22
OEM pads 56.44
Shim kit, fit kit, guidepins,
retainers, fluid, paint 69.91
Installation labor 210.00
Extra TT front wheel, tire
(stock spare won't fit) 240.00

Total $1,098.29

Notice the largest single expense was the new spare tire! I tried to get an oem TT skinny spare, but it was even more $$ since I would have had to buy the tire too - a 145/70-17 (weird!) was $240. The calipers were found in stock at Olympic Brake Supply in Renton, WA. They were supposedly "loaded," but they only came with pads, not all the other hardware. On the advice of my mechanic, I did not use the no-name pads, but went with oem Toyota pads. After 2K miles, very low dust and no noise.

I had the installation done at Elite Automotive in Tualatin, OR, a suburb of Portland. Jason Perkins, the shop owner and lead tech, has done brake upgrades on SC's, GS's and certain years of LS's. I was happy with his spotless shop, the quality of his work, and his advice. Even though the new Centric rotors were supposedly ready to install, he insisted on doing a "skin cut" on his rotor lathe, and they were in fact slightly imperfect. We had planned to upgrade the brake lines with Goodridge braided lines, but he ran into the same problem others have mentioned here - the flares on the hard brake lines were slightly too big to fit into the threaded ends on the flex lines, and he was hesitant to try filing the flares to fit for fear of contaminating the system with metal particles. So, we stuck with the stock hoses and I returned the braided lines ($123.00) to TireRack.

The calipers were bare blasted steel out of the box - I solvent cleaned them, masked and painted them with dark blue hi-temp engine paint. They look great behind the silver TT wheels on my Spruce SC.

Merry Christmas to me, to me, to meeee
Old 12-16-03, 11:50 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear the great news!

I'll be doing the TT upgrade on my car soon also! I got some used TT calipers and I'm wondering if I should keep them the dark green with "Supra" written on it or paint it some other color.

pictures soon to come!

still want that TT wheel? if not, I'll just keep it and use it for my setup.
Old 12-17-03, 04:15 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous,TT calipers won't fit with the wheels I have!
Four piston calipers like the TT has,give such an improved brake effect,control I'm going to have to figure out a way to do something to my car when the next set of brakes wears out.
The cost of your swap will be worth it the first time someong pulls out in front of you and you have to lean hard on the pedal. All Factory parts;hard to go wrong there.
Old 12-17-03, 04:22 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show us some pics strongsail!!
Old 12-21-03, 03:29 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftter my 5 speed swap, this should definitively be on my list of mods to get.

Lets just say that today I tested the limits of my SC300 brake limits, and it wasn't enough.

Well I was skidding so perhaps larger stickier tires with more contact patch would help as well.

I was a head and this ***** in a lexus GS300 (I was faster) Wanted to race. I was in a hurry. the lane merged into one. Light was yellow, I HATE running red lights. He ran the light. I barely made it I went half a car lenght over the line.

This guy was on my *** pressuring me then wanted to pass me on the left. All because I dared to pass him when he was on the right.