Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I want to LOWER my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 01:59 PM
ddbitt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to LOWER my SC300

Greetings.

I have a 1992 SC300 5-spd. My goal is to lower the car only a small amount, perhaps 1 inch and to maintain the stock ride as much as possible. Ideally the car would ride exactly the same and be 1 inch lower - not sure if that's possible obviously.

Anyone have recommendations for how to best accomplish this?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-03, 03:02 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest Eibach Springs for a cheaper setup...You will not achieve the same ride quality as before...You'll feel more of the road...

If don't have a budget...You can get a full Coilover suspension...Tein CS or JIC Magic...Do some research on these...Plenty of info on coilovers if you do a search..

Good luck..
Old 12-22-03, 03:32 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
I would suggest Eibach Springs for a cheaper setup...You will not achieve the same ride quality as before...You'll feel more of the road...

If don't have a budget...You can get a full Coilover suspension...Tein CS or JIC Magic...Do some research on these...Plenty of info on coilovers if you do a search..

Good luck..
Yes, as stated, please do a search....here is a thread with links to many other threads...look for my reply a few posts down in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97872
Old 12-22-03, 03:47 PM
ddbitt
Driver School Candidate

I did do a search and had trouble finding info on the lowering setup that best replicated the stock feel. Most people seem to want a firmer ride, which I don't.

I'll look into the Eibach's, but if you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear it. I really don't need to go all the way to a coilover, seems like more than I need.

thanks.
Old 12-22-03, 04:25 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Your best bet is to go with NEW Eibachs, factory struts, along with new poly U bushings (Sway bar, control arm) from TM engineering...
Old 12-22-03, 04:28 PM
ddbitt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. It seems like the Eibach kit is the most conservative option. Right? Why new?

What will the bushings do for me?
Old 12-22-03, 05:09 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Do a search on Sway Bar bushings and Control arm bushings...
Old 12-22-03, 05:29 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

i'm interested in keeping the stock ride quality while i still reap the benifits from tein cs coilovers 1" drop(due in a few days) and poly u bushings front and rear (rear due for install soon- after bodywork). the front install left the car feeling extremly tight and responsive ,it felt like a could confidently do a turn @70mph! and the car would remain stable,but it seems like doing the front upper bushings caused more road noise.
Old 12-22-03, 11:52 PM
ddbitt
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
Do a search on Sway Bar bushings and Control arm bushings...
One Hot: I think you have missed the point of my post completely. I'm trying to maintain stock ride and lower the car. Putting on Poly U bushing, at least from what I know of my years of racing experience, stiffens up the ride of a car, which is not what I want to do, and will increase noise, vibration, and harshness. I know what bushings ARE, I just didn't understand why they would help with keeping the ride of my Lexus nice and plush. Thus my question. I did a search on bushings, etc. and all I saw was more posts from people recommending that people buy TM engineering bushings. So, if there is some reason to swap bushings to help maintain a soft ride with a lowered car that I don't understand, I'd like to hear it.

I'm also well aware of coilovers and all those options, I'm just wondering what the softest lowering kit available for the SC300 is. I'll just assume it's the Eibach kit since I haven't even found another manufacturer for SC300 lowering springs. Unless someone has any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-03, 06:38 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

espilir(spelling) is another brand
Old 12-25-03, 07:36 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Default Re: I want to LOWER my SC300

Originally posted by ddbitt
Greetings.

I have a 1992 SC300 5-spd. My goal is to lower the car only a small amount, perhaps 1 inch and to maintain the stock ride as much as possible. Ideally the car would ride exactly the same and be 1 inch lower - not sure if that's possible obviously.

Anyone have recommendations for how to best accomplish this?

Thanks.
A 1 inch drop will not even show. The car will still look like it is at stock ride height.

-Steve
Old 12-25-03, 11:25 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
i'm interested in keeping the stock ride quality while i still reap the benifits from tein cs coilovers 1" drop(due in a few days) and poly u bushings front and rear (rear due for install soon- after bodywork). the front install left the car feeling extremly tight and responsive ,it felt like a could confidently do a turn @70mph! and the car would remain stable,but it seems like doing the front upper bushings caused more road noise.
Ahh the joys of coilovers Since fitting them I've been able to tackle corners at faster speed (basically no bodyroll)... I can't wait to fit some swaybars to the list of mods!

Originally posted by ddbitt
I just didn't understand why they would help with keeping the ride of my Lexus nice and plush.
Go for Vlamos bushes then... replica of factory Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC bushes for the upper and lower front/rear control arms and the steering rack bushes. Then with the lowering (either coilovers or a good shock/spring set up) you can retain the comfy ride of the SC.
Old 12-26-03, 12:17 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

A 1 inch drop will not even show. The car will still look like it is at stock ride height.
It did wonders for my car..Perfect drop..

Putting on Poly U bushing, at least from what I know of my years of racing experience, stiffens up the ride of a car, which is not what I want to do, and will increase noise, vibration, and harshness.
I have Poly U bushings on my car..The car is much more responsive and much more comfortable with Poly U bushings...Nonetheless, it was more of a comfort thing more than it was harsh...I don't know about you, but that is my personal experience with TM engineering bushings..They are just amazing..
Old 12-26-03, 09:22 AM
ddbitt
Driver School Candidate

OneHot: Well either way it sure seems like you guys like the bushing swap, so I'll take your recommendation on that one. If the poly U bushings didn't make the ride rougher, etc. then obviously it's the best way to go. I've just known people to do that mainly for performance, not comfort.

BTW, are you all bringing up the bushings because it's easy to swap them during the spring installation? I have a bushing service kit for installing them so it won't be a problem, I'm just wondering why you brought it up.

Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's help.

I'm loving this car more and more. I like the engine more than the engine in the G35 I was thinking of buying.
Old 12-26-03, 08:52 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Aaron

It is to my understanding that the control arm bushing installation (front and rear) is around a 5-6 hour job and sway bar bushing (front and rear) install is around 20-30 minute job..

Well, if you have several mechanics installing your bushings and springs at the same time then I doubt it will take that long..

Quick Reply: I want to LOWER my SC300