Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tokico Illumina setup - Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 08:18 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nazty just wanted you to know that ALL springs sit a little lower on the driver side. I noticed on my 95 Accord (2sets of springs) and on my 96 GS, also I have spoke to LOTS of people that notice the same thing.

That being said, when I got a GOOD alignment, it did help out some, and it cut down on some of the rear negative camber that I had (eats up tires). Just wanted to let you know, alot of people go with coilovers to fix this (since you can even them out with the adjusters)

Just my .02 and good luck!
Old 01-04-04, 05:40 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any luck?
Old 01-05-04, 10:51 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm in Austin right now about to roll over to pro-tech,... have them put it on the lift ( again ) and take pics of each assembly. I haven't had the time to do much with it,...and being i live in houston and run a business, not sure how soon i will have available to be here in austin a good couple of days for them to be foolin' with the car. I wonder if there's any recourse for receiving mismatched springs from the get go? I think my biggest concern is whether or not the camber kits are installed correctly, so that I don't have to keep donating to Discount Tires!!!! I can live with the uneveness if it didn't correlate to my tires being eaten to death every 2 months. It's hard to drive my car in the rain,.. feels like the back end wants to come out, as if the tires are not rollin' the same way.
Old 01-07-04, 07:04 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

what did ProTech tell you? No offense to you or them or anything, but personally I think those guys are a bunch of asshats. I have numerous stories I could tell, but since that would be unprovoked basing on this board, I will refrain myself.

Ok, if you have not fixed this problem yet, you *could* bring the car up to College Station sometime before the 20th of this month and I can get everything, pull it off the car, break it all down and reinstall it for you. I would be interested in testing to see if the driverside springs were placed on the passenger side if that would fix this problem. In any case, it seems to me like a good place to start, plus we cold look at all the numbers on all the springs to make sure they are right. If you agree to lend an extra hand every now and then, I would be willing to do this for free.

Also, I had a similar problem with my wife's accord with her Tokico Illumina R coilovers, for some reason, even though everything was set up right, the passenger side was always about a half inch lower. Even if I cranked up the passenger side, it would settle back down in about a month. Kinda funky if you ask me...

Anyway, shoot me an e-mail or a PM if you are interested in my offer.
Old 01-07-04, 08:43 PM
Khaos
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Nazty just wanted you to know that ALL springs sit a little lower on the driver side. I noticed on my 95 Accord (2sets of springs) and on my 96 GS, also I have spoke to LOTS of people that notice the same thing....
My SC300 with the stock springs also sits lower on the driver side...There is about .5" difference and it drives me crazy. I want to fix it, but I don't know if the springs are really the problem or if there is something else causing the problem. If it is the latter, then getting new springs wouldn't help. I guess this is a good reason to get some coilover$.

Also in Houston
Old 01-07-04, 10:58 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Everything looked cool,.. the only thing we saw at ProTech was the dampening ring on the perch wasn't sitting the same from one side to the other in the rears,... so that could have explained the height difference, but the issue that I have been chasing was the tire wear. According to NTB, the toe and camber was way out and thus instantly ate my tires off in the rear on the inside tread. The big fuss now is did the camber kit allow enough adjustments for the drop.

I've heard stories about EVERY performance shop from JoTech, ProTech, MZM, Reigning, Elite, SGP, Hocus Pocus, and so on,... I think it's inevitable. I personally know Fadi, and his character and knowledge exceeds anyone else's I've seen in his position. He's an honest guy and is fair. I can't say that about everybody in the staff, but I don't deal with them.... and there are a few punks up there at ProTech that I don't like cuz they don't have more than a rat's azz for a brain, and if Fadi isn't there to tell them what to do, they don't do anything. they've worked on 3 cars for me and I've been happy thusfar.

I think the alignment shop f#cked me over this time,.... or at least as far as I can tell.

Nazty97
Old 01-09-04, 07:54 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Hmmm....

I have seen cases where the rubber mounts at the top of the spring/shock assembly were worn and sagging. They usually sag more on the driver's side from the additional weight of the driver on that side of the car - most cars have one person in it most times. A buddy of mine with a '93 RX-7 had the exact same problem, and it turned out that rubber mount was just more worn. Put a fresh set of mounts on, problem solved.

Could also be worn or gone suspension bushings - with the rubber being ineffective, the pivot point will be pressed up to the top of the bushing's area, causing more sag.

Shouldn't be that hard for a good suspension shop to sort out - just measure and compare different points on each side and find out what's drooping.

Dale
Old 01-09-04, 07:30 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Could also be worn or gone suspension bushings - with the rubber being ineffective, the pivot point will be pressed up to the top of the bushing's area, causing more sag.
not the case cuz i have alllll new bushings, everywhere you can change one.

it turned out that rubber mount was just more worn. Put a fresh set of mounts on, problem solved.
wouldn't the new shock / strut assembly come with a new rubber mount??? I think that might be a viable solution.
Old 01-10-04, 12:23 AM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

I think he is talking about the upper rubber mount. In most cases you reuse the stock upper mounts, and after time, they do squish a little bit. You should be able to go to an auto parts store and get new rubber bushings for the upper mounts (maybe even whole new mounts?) for a decent price. I just went and did this for the Accord and it cost about $30 for the set of new bushings...