Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are H&R 5mm spacers hubcentric?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 02:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by LEXISM
Im sorry but im dumb to what you guys are talking about. can you please clarify? I know im dumb!
Are you asking about the spacers or the hubcentric part? Since you mention "dumb", I really don't want to assume anything.
Old 02-04-04, 02:53 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what the spacer is for but the hubcentric part is what im questioning?
Old 02-04-04, 03:22 PM
Neo
The One

It has to do with load bearing and centering of your wheel onto the car. you know when you mount your wheels to the hub, there is a lip where the wheel attaches to the hub. This method uses the hub to center the wheel. To contrast this, if you are not using the hub, then the other way to center is on the lugs. I think it is better to be hubcentric then lugcentric.

Anyway, back to this discussion. The 15, 20, and 25mm spacers have a little lip built into it. This allows the wheel to mount using that lip. The 5mm is just flat. H & R is counting on the fact that the 5mm is so thin that there will be enough of the "stock" hub entending past the spacer for the wheel to mount.

Personally, I don't like that they made that assumption but what can you do. I hope this was clear enough.
Old 02-04-04, 03:52 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guyz -

Sorry for chiming in late on this thread.

GammaLex - to answer your question...I got both on...spacer and centering rings. I have NOT notice any shake or shimmy any speed for me. I've gone up to 90 mph on the highways here...albeit the roads aren't the smoothest (dang potholes on the highways too) ....but when I'm lucky enough to find a smooth paved road...I pay attention and look/feel for any vibrations....so far ...NONE.

Neo - Yah...I got the H&R 5mm spacer on my rears....it pretty thin and very flat...no lip like the 15mm + sizes. With that being said...there was still enough lip from the OEM hub to mount my wheels (with centering rings).

Hope this clarifies things.

Pete
Old 02-04-04, 04:04 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so were can I buy my 5mm spacer? wher do you guys recommened and for how much? thanks
Erick
Old 02-04-04, 04:07 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by LEXISM
ok so were can I buy my 5mm spacer? wher do you guys recommened and for how much? thanks
Erick
Options Auto Salon...here's the link:

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=421

Pete
Old 02-04-04, 06:46 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanx Neo and PHML. OPT auto salon is out of the 5mm spacers till end of march early april. I guess that means another dealy for my coilovers and big brakes
Old 02-04-04, 07:19 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by GammaLex
I guess that means another dealy for my coilovers and big brakes
Huh? What does that mean?
Old 02-05-04, 11:11 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by PHML
I got the H&R 5mm spacer on my rears....it pretty thin and very flat...no lip like the 15mm + sizes. With that being said...there was still enough lip from the OEM hub to mount my wheels (with centering rings).
More questions Pete.

Although there is no lip on this spacer, how well does it fit around the original hub? Is it a nice fit (roughly 60mm opening) or is it like the generic spacers where it is meant to fit any hub (large opening) and is using the lugs to be kept in place? Were there additional hardware: longer lugs/studs, bolts, nuts, ...?

I am trying to determine if these H & Rs, although not hubcentric, are still specific to the Lex or are we paying extra for the H & R branding?

Last edited by Neo; 02-05-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 11:56 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Neo
Huh? What does that mean?
I have to wait for the spacers to put on my coilovers and bigbrake kit.
Old 02-05-04, 12:42 PM
Neo
The One

I have to wait for the spacers to put on my coilovers and bigbrake kit.
Ah. The word was delay. I assume you want to do everything at once since the coilover install should not be affected by spacers. Which brakes did you end up getting?
Old 02-05-04, 01:06 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally posted by Neo
More questions Pete.

Although there is no lip on this spacer, how well does it fit around the original hub? Is it a nice fit (roughly 60mm opening) or is it like the generic spacers where it is meant to fit any hub (large opening) and is using the lugs to be kept in place? Were there additional hardware: longer lugs/studs, bolts, nuts, ...?

I am trying to determine if these H & Rs, although not hubcentric, are still specific to the Lex or are we paying extra for the H & R branding?
Neo -

It fits around the hub loosely....more like generic. It came with longer stud bolts...but I didn't use them.

I torqued each lug/lock to 105 ft/lbs to ensure its tight. I read other threads that recommended torque was like 75-80 ft/lbs...but I felt that was too loose.
Old 02-05-04, 01:23 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by PHML
I torqued each lug/lock to 105 ft/lbs to ensure its tight. I read other threads that recommended torque was like 75-80 ft/lbs...but I felt that was too loose.
Wow, that is tight. I think the Lexus spec is 76.

Thanks for the info. Please check PM.

Last edited by Neo; 02-05-04 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 01:57 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

The Rotora 13" kit. It was smaller then the Stoptech. With the Stoptechs I would need about 8mm more to clear, the Rotora only needed 3mm. Weird huh. I also have the HKS LS+ and UGO front and rear STBS to go with it.

Last edited by GammaLex; 02-05-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 02:30 PM
Neo
The One

The Rotora 13" kit. It was smaller then the Stoptech. With the Stoptechs I would need about 8mm more to clear, the Rotora only needed 3mm. Weird huh. I also have the HKS LS+ and UGO front and rear STBS to go with it.
Nice. Definitely give feedback on the HKS. I was lucky that the StopTechs clear my wheel. The UGOs are a nice touch too.

It is kind of funny that their 4-piston setup is that "small" but their 6-piston is huge, bugger than the APs and if I remember right also the Brembos. At least this was my impression from their preliminary template. Did you have a problem with the Rotora template not being to scale?

Last edited by Neo; 02-05-04 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Are H&R 5mm spacers hubcentric?