Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cross Drilled vs Slotted

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 10:14 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Drilled vs Slotted

is it true that cross drilled rotors wear slower than slotted rotors? i read somewhere online that cross drilled rotors,under normal driving conditions wear more slowly than slotted ones. so, will I get any added life out of the c/d setup as opposed to a slotted or c/d and slotted rotor??

the reason I am asking is because I am considering purchasing some rotors from www.SPORTBRAKES.com through a group buy.

also, does anyone have any feedback on sportbrakes or has anyone ever installed their products?
thanks
Old 07-16-04, 07:06 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing. I too read that slotted rotors eat up pads faster than just drilled rotors. Maybe more so for track use, but for normal street/daily driving....im not sure.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Pete
Old 07-18-04, 06:46 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just get you a set of either rotor and be happy ....gotta pay to play right?

jacobt said he goes about 15k before changing his pads and rotors...he customarily replaces his rotors every time he does a pad change, but he has slotted and cross drilled rotors

i have always wonder the same... i know that both kind of rotors will ultimately wear faster than oem style rotors...my dentist has cross drilled rotors on his m3 and i love the way they look, i think the only way i would buy a slotted rotor was if it was a combo slotted and cross drilled rotor. unfortunately i dont have $$$ to spend on big brakes so im going oem direct replacement..

BTW i would assume that slotted would wear slower just because of the design itself...

someone chime in please

Last edited by joshoowa; 07-18-04 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-19-04, 03:58 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's what a rotor seller on Ebay says.....

Why Cross Drilled ONLY ?

Consider this :
Porsche had been using cross drilled rotors on their 911 turbo since the late 70’s and they are still using them on their latest models. Mercedes Benz also putting cross drilled rotors on the newer S Class.

WHY ?

Maybe these 2 top auto manufactures doesn’t know much about performance (don’t they know slotted rotors are very hot in the market now) or will it be because under years of experiences and development, they still noticed that CROSS DRILLED ONLY is more suitable for everyday high performance sports cars and everyday driving.

TRUTH :

The slots on the slotted rotors acts like razor blade, it “sliced “ the brake pads everytime you step on the pads (thus, brake pads won’t last long) . They are only good for road course racing where brakes had been overheat and form a glazed on the pads, it will give a “ new “ surface everytime, that’s why, they are only good for racing only. As for gas disipation, don’t you think the gas will disipate faster through the drilled holes to the vents (for vented rotors which most car are using) than the little slots between between the rotors and the pads. Think….common sense.

Last edited by PHML; 07-19-04 at 04:00 PM.