Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tuning your Teins???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 12:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the edfc installation powerup sequence is an interesting one, i have no idea coz' i don't have one. but if that's the way it works, then that means the tein HA doesn't come at stiffest then.

i didn't touch my flex when it first came so i don't know what it's like though
Old 02-05-04, 01:18 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
the edfc installation powerup sequence is an interesting one, i have no idea coz' i don't have one. but if that's the way it works, then that means the tein HA doesn't come at stiffest then.
All of Tein's installs say that the coils are manufactured at the stiffest setting, fully clockwise BUT to make sure that the **** is at fully clockwise before adjusting the setting. Maybe it is just coincidence but it is weird that all 3 HAs you encountered started at 8. Was that for both front and back? Tein's standard setting for the HAs are 8f 10r. Maybe there was a batch somewhere that was set to the standard setting instead of full stiff.
Old 02-05-04, 01:31 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys both know I have a Manufacturing / Engineering / Quality background, so I have a lot of input about this.

I won't bore people on the forums with it, but like I said, we can talk about it offline then post when we have a consensus.

Henry and other CL members will be meeting up with me this Saturday so we can talk about it at length.

I will bring my fender mod tool when we meet up, just in case someone needs more convincing of my position .

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-05-04 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 11:55 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
I will bring my fender mod tool when we meet up, just in case someone needs more convincing of my position .
See what you did Rom, your gonna make RMM's 'Lexus Hammer' come out and play!!

Seriously though, this is a great thread, I dont even have Teins, and I'm interested in the outcome, just as a point of reference. Also, with the large amount of Tein owners that we DO have, this may warrant a sticky once resolved!
Old 02-05-04, 06:04 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
on the flex (for the gs) you can do it without taking off any suspension for sure, tried it before. just loosen the lock, and turn the shock no problem
You're right. YOu could change the ride height without taking off the suspension. All you do is change the position of the spring perch.

We may not be talking about the same thing.

With the TEIN Flex, you have the ability to change the ride height, without touching the spring perches, thus, keeping the spring tension the same. You do this by turning the shock, not changing the position of the spring perches.

Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 02-05-04, 09:14 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by rodel
Are we talking about the same thing?
Yes. I think the inner body can be rotated without removing the coilover. Spring preload is not touched.
Old 02-13-04, 03:30 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Consensus

OK,
after face-to-face discussions with Neo, Rominl, RMMGS4 & Jawnthen we have concluded and confirmed that the "Proper" way to adjust All Tein coilovers is to first rotate the thumbscrew fully clockwise until it stops. This is defined as 0 = Hardest Setting. If you would like to verify this for yourself, look up the pdf manuals on the Tein website.

When adjusting manually, turning the thumbscrew counter-clockwise 16 clicks will be 16 = Softest Setting.

When using the EDFC, during power up, it will automatically calibrate all four coilovers by rotating the needle valves clockwise until each stops and is fully closed. (0 = Full Hard) This is also know as return-to-origin mode. From that point it can be adjusted to soften the dampening by 16 incremental levels (or 32 levels if configured to that resolution).

Note that in the past, many members have posted and defined 16 as equal to Hardest and 0 equal to Softest. This is un-intentionally mis-leading and contrary to what the EDFC values indicate. There are probably several reasons for this mis-understanding to occur. Whatever the case may be, one should not be confused by this interpretation.

Just remember that full hard is fully clockwise and full soft is 16 clicks counter-clockwise. Whether you choose to define the full hard / soft settings as 0 / 16 or 16 / 0 is up to you, but we suggest that you follow the hard /soft settings as 0 / 16 respectively, which is consistent with the EDFC read outs.

The Great and Powerful OZ has spoken !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-13-04 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 09:26 AM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Consensus

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Note that in the past, many members have posted and defined 16 as equal to Hardest and 0 equal to Softest. This is un-intentionally mis-leading and contrary to what the EDFC values indicate. There are probably several reasons for this mis-understanding to occur. Whatever the case may be, one should not be confused by this interpretation.
I think at some point the anology of a volume **** was used. Full counter-clockwise is soft and full clockwise is loud (hard). I think it was an easy example since everyone is familiar with volume *****. Once EDFC became more used, the reverse scale became available but many were still used to the "volume" scale. I think only EDFC users used the "EDFC" scale. I am a convert myself. I now only think in terms of the EDFC scale.
Old 02-13-04, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i agree, i checked teh manuals as well and it's definitely different from what i read before
Old 02-13-04, 04:25 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the manual say to be sure to not go over a certain amount of turns clockwise at risk of damaging the valve assembly. Its been awhile since I have read it, so I cant remember how many turns it was...but I do remember it saying dont go past it. Thats why in the past people have said to turn the **** all the way to the softest setings, then adjust harder from there.

Am I imagining this?

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 02-13-04 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-13-04, 04:51 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the manual say to be sure to not go over a certain amount of turns clockwise at risk of damaging the valve assembly. Its been awhile since I have read it, so I cant remember how many turns it was...but I do remember it saying dont go past it. Thats why in the past people have said to turn the **** all the way to the softest setings, then adjust harder from there.

Am I imagining this?
We thought maybe the manual got translated incorrectly. rominl thought he remembered what you are saying too but the manual available on the web now reflects what the EDFC does. So instead, they say not to go over counter-clockwise at the risk of damaging it.
Old 02-13-04, 06:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Am I imagining this?
that's the funny thing man. way back in 2002 when i got my HA and mccong got his HA, we discussed that before and we both pretty much confirmed from manuals and the shop that you turn all the way to full soft and go stiff, and don't get past the limit (say it's 16 clicks)

however with the info from neo and rmmgs4 about how the edfc works (it initialize by going all the way to shiffest (clockwise until it stops) and then count backward, we went into an indepth discussions.

i went ahead and checked the manual available online (tein.com), and to my susprise, it says turn it all the way clockwise to FULL stiff and count 16 backward for softest, and don't get past 16 clicks

that's why now i strongly believe the manual was wrong in the beginning. too bad i don't have that manual anymore
Old 02-14-04, 12:03 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They definitely changed it on line then...the original manual that I had was downloaded from their web site, and I know it said dont go past "X" amount when tightening them up. I wonder how many people out there damaged their coilovers by following their old directions.

Last edited by TTurboPimp; 02-14-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-15-04, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

They definitely changed it on line then...the original manual that I had was downloaded from their web site, and I know it said dont go past "X" amount when tightening them up. I wonder how many people out there damaged their coilovers by following their old directions.
thank god i wasn't the only one thinking about that well, i guess as long as we (those who got the WRONG manuals) don't go to the softest settings ever, and stay in the medium settings, it's fine.
Old 11-10-06, 01:31 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i know im bumping an old thread but has anyone got the solid answer?

Quick Reply: Tuning your Teins???