Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tuning your Teins???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 10:28 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning your Teins???

Correct me if I am wrong guys....

Before I bought my first set of Teins, i read up on how to tune them and everyone was saying to turn it all the way counter-clockwise to the loosest setting and then click up to your desire setting. For those of you who have tried this, you can actually click past 16 settings.

I just read the manual from Tein and it comes factory set all the way clockwise to the stiffest. The standard setting for HA would be to click COUNTER CLOCKWISE 8 for the front and 10 for the rear and the Tein CS, I believe it is almost the same. It also says not to click past 16 clicks or it may cause damage to your shocks.

So in acutality, your should start from the stiffest and work your way back, not the other way around, starting from the softest setting. So 8 clicks would be mean, "8 clicks from the hardest".

If you look at the Tein EDFC, it works this way too. Where it says 16 on the dial, that actually means the softest setting, and not the hardest setting.

Am I tripping and does everyone already know this/... or am I wrong.

heres the link http://www.tein.com/ti/inst/rt76u.pdf

Last edited by mcgong; 02-02-04 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 01:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup you are right, that's why when i say clicks i usually add "from the softest". while tein might have their own theory about this, but to me that's just confusion. see, you know where you can find softest, just click it counterclockwise until it stops. but if i just give you a system without telling you anything, there is like no way you can tell for sure what's the factory allowed stiffest setup. clicking it clockwise till it stops isn't going anywhere except killing the shocks.
Old 02-04-04, 01:34 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you think the better would be to tell people to turn clockwise and then back for desired setting. All the coilovers come from the factory set at the hardest setting (clockwise). I know you can click more than 16 times, so clicking counter clockwise to the softest setting would mean clicking past 16 clicks. At least I know this is true on the Tein HA.
Old 02-04-04, 02:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well the thing is when you get a used set, not a new set. with a used set, you need a hard reference point, and to make it safe, click it counterclockwise to softest is the only way to go
Old 02-04-04, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well the thing is when you get a used set, not a new set. with a used set, you need a hard reference point, and to make it safe, click it counterclockwise to softest is the only way to go
now that i've got tein flex (not installed yet) i'm interested in this thread. rominl, seems like you're contradicting what tein is saying. even if they're used you could still click clockwise to stiffest setting and then back off.
Old 02-04-04, 07:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bitkahuna
now that i've got tein flex (not installed yet) i'm interested in this thread. rominl, seems like you're contradicting what tein is saying. even if they're used you could still click clockwise to stiffest setting and then back off.
well if you keep on clicking it clockwise you will still come to an end. but how many clicks is that? the flex should have 24 "valid" clicks. i know on my old HA it had 16 "valid" clicks but i could click clockwise 22 or 24 times?
Old 02-04-04, 09:08 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

More on tuning your TEIN Flex...if the GS version is the same as MKIII Supra version (I have the TEIN Flex on my MKIII Supra)

...if you want to adjust the ride height, without affecting the spring rate, you have to remove the coilover from the car and thread the shock down.
Old 02-04-04, 09:22 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by rodel
if you want to adjust the ride height, without affecting the spring rate, you have to remove the coilover from the car and thread the shock down.
Hmm. I've seen this done while it is still on the car.
Old 02-04-04, 09:27 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
Hmm. I've seen this done while it is still on the car.
I suppose you could unbolt the shock and leave the coilover attached to the strut tower.

Last edited by rodel; 02-04-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

on the flex (for the gs) you can do it without taking off any suspension for sure, tried it before. just loosen the lock, and turn the shock no problem
Old 02-04-04, 11:50 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
Henry,
I don't think referencing full soft is the correct method. Let's understand what this turning of the **** is actually doing and not concern ourselves with clicks for a second

You are basically turning a pressure relief valve. The less pressure the softer the shock dampening.

So lets make the analogy to think of the valve like a faucet. When you turn the Tein to full hard it stops. This is the same as shutting off the water on a faucet. No water comes out, the pressure is maximized = Tein at full hard.

From there you can turn the faucet counter-clockwise to let the water out. Water is released, so pressure is relieved = Tein at full soft.

After 16 clicks, there really is no value in trying to get it any softer and as Mike pointed out on his other thread, Tein says that beyound 16 may damage the damper.

The EDFC self calibrates when it is first powered up. It will turn all the stepper motors full clockwise and that will become the "hard reference point" (or level 0 = full hard = valve closed). From that point the EDFC control will allow 16 levels of counter-clockwise rotation (to level 16 = full soft).

Also note that the EDFC can also be set to give 32 levels of adjustment. This only increases resolution by 100%. The maximum setting 32 is still equivalent to 16 in softness.

Another note: As the valve wears (just like in a water faucet), it may take more clicks (clockwise rotations) to get to full hard (i.e fully closed). Again this is why you need to reference your clicks from full hard so that all four shocks are calibrated with each other.

That's it.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning your Teins???-close-up.jpg  

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-05-04 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

glen, you missing the basic

on the tein HA, at full stiff, it does NOT stop there..... there are still 8 clicks or more after that
Old 02-05-04, 12:39 AM
RMMGS4

Henry,
It is probably not full stiff if there are 8 clicks left.

Call me, I'm sure we can clear it up and figure this out.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-05-04 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-05-04, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

to explain it more. go get a set of HA new from tein, it's set at stiffest. turn it clockwise and see if it turns. YES it will. that means the factory stiffest is NOT at a hard lock. now at the factory stiffest, turn counterclockwise 16 times, see if you hit a full lock, YES you will. that's the arguement i had about where you need a solid reference point to begin with

and i have went to 3 different shops for tein install before, all of them use the softest point as a reference, and they also stress that "if you get edfc, it will count the other way though"
Old 02-05-04, 12:45 AM
RMMGS4

So what will happen if you use the EDFC?

It will automatically calibrate from full hard no matter what you do.

Quick Reply: Tuning your Teins???