Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

did the ltuned springs/bilstein sports

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 06:16 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default did the ltuned springs/bilstein sports

well i had to satisfy my curiousity, i took out my air tools while i had my first floor of my house getting retiled (had to find something to do to stay out of the way) so i took out my ltuned shocks and springs and put in a new set of bilstein sport shocks , boy ohh boy what a feeling , johnee78 was with me , ask him how it felt after i finished .. i took him out after at about 120 or so making so fast lane changes and stuff and both of us were not only grinning but smiling from ear to ear

the ride believe it or not was better then ltuned shocks (it is firmer much more controlled but not beat you up stiff) all 4 corners worked in harmony , no body float at all cornering very very percise..

i would recc this setup to those who dont do alot of cayon carving type runs like myself who lives in south florida and want to save the exp of coilovers

the setup is perfect for everyday driving and then some and those of you who know me and have driven with me i drive very hard and fast and susp tuning is critical for me

love this set up

Last edited by lexforlife; 02-15-04 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-15-04, 06:19 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

How was the ride with the L-tuned shocks? Too soft?
Old 02-15-04, 06:36 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

letsride

the l tuned shocks were too soft for all the other bracing i have and with the daizen sways , too much body float too much wallow , did not inspire confidence at high speeds but the bilsteins keep the body movements to almost non exisitence , the bilsteins keep the tires connected at all times imo just perfect and the ltuned springs to me give a decent drop after it settles mine settled to about 1.5 front and the 20-25% stiffer spring rate is great for everyday driving
Old 02-15-04, 06:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

VERY good to hear LFL. I know you were worried about how they'd match up. Sounds pretty much what I *thought* they would from my Bilsteins but couldn't be certain how the L-tuned springs would work with 'em.

Good deal!
Old 02-15-04, 06:44 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

dave , much respect to you for all the patience and back and forth emails , you were a integral part of my decision making process

thanks again

Last edited by lexforlife; 02-15-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-15-04, 06:51 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Hmmm.....this has me a bit concerned since my L-tuned setup will be here shortly. The only bracing I have is the UGO stb...... I guess I'll just have to see how it goes......
Old 02-15-04, 07:00 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

bro it really depends how you drive and where you drive

i drive and corner very fast with my sways upper and lower bracing and 19in stagg wheels the kyb(ltuned ) were not up to the task

i spoke with bilstein directly to understand what makes bilstein different and better and found out that kyb uses generic parts internally and bilsteins are almost hand assembled with high tech valving etc etc

they are worth the 400 paid for them and coils are not even in my equation anymore
Old 02-15-04, 07:13 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Driving habits,Hmmmm!

It is safe to say that LFL drives very hard and very aggresive and to both of our suprise the billsteins handled amazingly!No bodyroll at all!Beside the control the shocks provided, they also rode very nice.Not stiff but comfortable and controlled.I would definently recomend these shocks to anyone who is looking for a non adjustable(coilover) suspension.Ed you made a great choice.
Old 02-15-04, 07:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

LFL,

I'm glad you're able to quantify the difference between the L-tuned shocks and the Bilsteins. I think that's why I initially had such mixed feelings when I went from my Eibach/Bilstein setup to the Bilstein PSS coilovers... the Bilsteins are such good shocks on their own that the coilovers didn't seem to be the quantum leap that I'd hoped for. BUT for someone coming from stock or even from L-tuned they'll be a big difference. I'm still a huge fan of Bilstein for both the shocks and the coilovers. Quality product and warranty.
Old 02-15-04, 07:26 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

you know dave , i delt with the guys over at shox.com , mark and daryl actually remembered you totally, they are a great bunch of guys always willing to help and provide info , they are the ones who put me in touch with the chief tech out in cali at bilstein directly to get some compression and rebound numbers to compare other products with

bilstein top notch stuff for a top notch automobile
Old 02-16-04, 02:37 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ed, glad you made a decision, you sound happy with them bro

Something just tells me the "inner tinkerer" in you will rear its head again soon!!! LOL you KNOW how you get down with the technical aspect of things!! I like the way you research things before you buy them man, it helps you appreciate them more!!
Old 02-16-04, 02:48 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

thanks derrick i guess i get this from my pops , he was a tech engineer for IBM for 28 years , analizes things to death, yes i am completley satisfied with the susp , with the bilsteins no need to worry about them wearing out or getting soft they will last the life of the car so now on to BOOOOOST
Old 02-16-04, 02:53 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexforlife
thanks derrick i guess i get this from my pops , he was a tech engineer for IBM for 28 years , analizes things to death,
I analyze things to death as well, like I said glad your happy and now on to
Old 02-16-04, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally posted by Letsride
Hmmm.....this has me a bit concerned since my L-tuned setup will be here shortly. The only bracing I have is the UGO stb...... I guess I'll just have to see how it goes......
If you're coming from a stock ride you'll be VERY pleased with an L-Tuned setup.
Old 02-16-04, 05:48 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

yes i was pleased at first but as i increased wheel size , increased the amount of bracing , the ltuned shocks (kyb rebadged) were not up to the task