Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

tein cs problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 10:55 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tein cs problems?(update)

i installed my teins plus edfc unit and i must say at this point that this in not what i was looking for. in all fairness though,it is a little early to really judge my setup because i am not sure if it was installed correctly. i had the teins put in without adjusting the height of the suspension so, i might be too low right now( i guesstimate about a 1.5 drop). i love the way it looks, and have about a two finger gap in between the wheel and the body of the car(all the way around). the performance is unbelievable (even though i need a wheel alignment!) it takes corners with absolutely no body roll and the steering is right on target with the road. the lower center of gravity even makes the car feel more balanced. however, i feel every bump in the road and there is a knocking sound coming from the front of the car-even over small bumps or uneven pavement.
the edfc unit is hooked up and even on the softest settings i'm still getting that unsatisfactory ride. this is my first lowered car and i must reserve my judgement until i get someone to check it out thoroughly. if i can get rid of that knocking noise i would be satisfied with this upgrade,but if everything checks out as "normal" i will be going back to stock and getting rid of these. although i love the performance upgrade and dropped look, i am not totally willing to sacrifice my ride quality.... this is a lexus of course-known for the smooth ride and i can't afford to lose that completely!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 02-26-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 01:10 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get that checked out. I recently put the CS on and it is smooth and quiet. I have it on the stiff side and barely feel little bumps. It will not feel completely like stock. You have to give up a little to get all the benefits you described. Sounds like you are giving up a lot though and that does not sound right.

And, 2 finger gap is not too low.
Old 02-18-04, 07:15 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, you should get it checked out. The knocking doesnt sound right at all...

Regarding the ride quality, you will be sacrificing a little bit of quality for a lowered car, but with my CS's and they were down all the way, the ride was very smooth almost stock. I am not sure what setting was put for the stiffness, because i liked the way that it was setup from the shop i installed at.

Kevin
Old 02-18-04, 06:24 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definately get that checked out... my guess (and its only a guess) is that the knocking sound you're hearing is either:

- EDFC units not installed correctly and therefore bouncing around during bumps (and this would also explain no change in dampening when adjusting the unit)

- Pillowball mounts have a tendency to work it's way loose, this can also attribute to the sounds you are hearing.
Old 02-18-04, 11:14 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Is it normal for solid upper pillowball mounts to make noise (any, even the slightest)?

Last edited by MoogieBoogie; 02-18-04 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 06:30 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got coilovers on my Soarer, complete with solid upper mounts (got rid of the factory mounts) and yes they do make a lot of noise (not so obvious if you've got an exhaust fitted though), and the ride is pretty unforgiving in my car now with the coils fitted. It's still bareable but only just, I need to adjust my settings again (I think) as the rears seem softer than the fronts, so the fronts are set on a stiffer setting (ie. firmer) while the rears feel a bit more bouncy (definitely need to check it out), so yeah I'm guessing it's pretty normal for coilovers too feel VERY stiff and to make noises if solid upper mounts are fitted. I've ridden in other Soarers with coilovers and they all act the same.

Jose
Old 02-19-04, 08:27 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get no noise at all, never have. I would have it looked at.

gadgetSC-t
Old 02-19-04, 01:15 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

my Tein Flex's do the same thing, and so do Altstadts

my 240 has Tein HE's on it and they make the same noise. I know lots of people with 240's that have coilovers and PBM's and they all make very similar noises. I think it has something to do with the design. I am taking it as being normal as everything is tight, all adjustments work and ride quality and damping are not affected...
Old 02-19-04, 05:48 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Is the noise only experienced with Teins and solid upper pillowball mounts? I'm considering the HA because it uses the stock rubber mounts, and I wont have to deal with the noise.

I wonder if the JICs are the same.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 02-19-04, 09:16 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

tein HAs are discontinued
Old 02-19-04, 10:22 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Originally posted by ummagawd
tein HAs are discontinued
Are you sure? The online stores still have them, and Tein still has it on their website.

-Brian.
Old 02-20-04, 12:03 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default update:

update: i went to a tein dealer today and the mechanic and myself went for a road test..verdict? it isn't the coilover. A series of tests were done to check the coilover for any defect of the part or the installation..both were just fine. the only other thing i was told it could be is the sway bar bushings and ends links.(i was told more than likely that it is the ends links..) if these parts are in stock at the dealer, it will be installed tomorrow and i will find out if that was it.(wish me luck guys)- i really want to keep these coilovers!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 02-20-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-20-04, 12:59 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i'm very sure...

FYI... tein usa sucks... they're super lazy and customer service is horrible... within the last year and a half... they've managed to fire 2 (or was it 3) sets of employees.

the tein HA's have been replaced with the FLEX

anyone who still has it on their website hasn't updated and doesn't know about the discontinuation or has a few left in stock
Old 02-20-04, 04:33 PM
808state
Driver

Default Re: update:

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
update: i went to a tein dealer today and the mechanic and myself went for a road test..verdict? it isn't the coilover. A series of tests were done to check the coilover for any defect of the part or the installation..both were just fine. the only other thing i was told it could be is the sway bar bushings and ends links.(i was told more than likely that it is the ends links..) if these parts are in stock at the dealer, it will be installed tomorrow and i will find out if that was it.(wish me luck guys)- i really want to keep these coilovers!
not teins on the setup..but sounds familiar...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=knocking

if it is the endlinks, you need to be careful when installing and taking them out.
Old 02-21-04, 12:13 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

went to a tein dealer today and the mechanic and myself went for a road test..verdict? it isn't the coilover.
Where did you exactly go? Just wondering where the nearest Tein dealer is for future reference..

Quick Reply: tein cs problems?