Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 07:38 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: great review

Originally posted by 3dog

makes me glad i got my JICMAGIC FLT2-A's.

i need to apologize for putting that comment on this thread. in pearls review which i read in haste, i saw the part about not being assembled and needing parts from previous shocks. i had ordered a set of the bilstein coilovers in early october and then was told they were backordered untill after new years. and i hate to wait for anything. then i found out my credit card was charged for them at the time of order. and that turned into a big hassle to get refunded. when i found out about the JIC's i ordered them, and had them 2 days later, but for $500 more than the bilsteins.

i caught a lot of flack from the wife for that. so when i saw some negative stuff about the bilstein's i used that as proof i had done the right thing in spending more than i had agreed to with the wife.

my comment about my coilovers had no place in this thread i apologize to everybody.
3dog

i would like to add that this is the most informative review comparing two different brands of the same type that i have ever read.
Old 02-21-04, 10:37 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

3Dog,
I commend you on a very well written response. Have you had a chance to compare your JICMAGIC FLT2-A's to anything else? Not many have them here and was curious in case I wanted to try something else. Thanks
Old 02-21-04, 11:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah gotcha, 3dog, yeah i was wondering where the JIC jumped out from. but it depends on what you get. the bilstein and the tein HA they come not assembled coz' you need the pillow mount from the car, but if you get stuff like your JIC, the tein flex, the tein CS, they are all pre-assembled

of course, you pay more bills too

Last edited by rominl; 02-21-04 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-22-04, 08:48 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default coilovers

Originally posted by Pearlpower
3Dog,
I commend you on a very well written response. Have you had a chance to compare your JICMAGIC FLT2-A's to anything else? Not many have them here and was curious in case I wanted to try something else. Thanks

no i haven't

i read a review of davegs4 where he said if he were getting coilovers again he would get stiffer than the BILSTEIN PSS. i did read later that he decided they were stiff enough
here is link to his review
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+pss+coilovers

here is a short list i stole from manarays list of stiffness ratings.

Tein CS: 9/8
Tein Flex: 10/9
Bilstein PSS:12.25/8.17
JIC SF-1 12/9
Tein HA: 14/10
JIC FLT-A2 - 14/10

here is a link to a thread i read about the JIC SF-1's
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=jic+coilovers
then i read where the SF-1's were discontinued and replaced with the FLT-A2's

here is a link to a review of the FLT-A2's
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...s&pagenumber=1

then i read about manaray switching from teins to JIC FLT- A2 that was in oct of 2003 he thought very highly of the JIC's. they had just been released to the USA market in july 2003
i e-mailed him and asked him how the BILSTEIN PSS compared to the JIC FLT-A2 here is his answer.

" As for the FLT-A2's vs. the PSS, well the PSS height adjustment directly affects the pre-load (like the JIC SF-1). The FLT-A2's has a independent pre-load and height adjustment. This allows you to lower or raise the car to whereever you like w/o affecting the workings of the shock. If you raise or lower the car with a pre-load affecting system, then it's similiar to installing spring on a stock shock. You do that and you're basically running the shock "harder" than it was designed to run because you're running in a constantly compressed state. with the coilovers, it's SIMILAR, but not as bad because coilovers are designed to handle such situations....however, it's still "OPTIMAL" to run the shock at it's "prefered" pre-load rather than too much or to little pre-load...the FLT-A2's allows you to run the shock at it's "optimal" pre-load." quote was from e-mail 10/08/03 thank you manaray.

i had read that the teins required maintenance and only lasted 20-40 thousand miles. i don't know if that is true but it did influence my decision.

at the time i called steve at carson toyota and he said he could get me the JIC FLT-A2's for $1500. i ordered them that very second. this did not sit well with the wife, as that was $500 more than the BILSTEINS and i caught a lot of flack for that. i just found out that the price thru steve is up to $1649.
i have to add that i feel they are very high quality, but the instructions were in japanese and it took my mech an entire day to install and get the height right. so that cost me 8hrs labor. but i love the ride and going thru curves the speed is limited only by the size of my n+ts that day.

i feel like i'm hijacking your thread and that is not my intent so i'm going to stop now.

by the way that is a great review format you used, so many categories and i really like the winner is part.

thank you
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 02-22-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-21-04, 11:04 PM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Jic's ..... I was wondering what is the "optimal" pre-load" setting ... one turn? ...3 turns? Mine did not come with any instructions and I bought mine directly from JIC
Old 09-24-04, 09:26 PM
gsfour
Pole Position

Default Re: Conclusions

Originally posted by Pearlpower

Also if you want to lower your car like a Honda-the Flex is the way to go. Winner: Easily Flex
Jeez! I wonder if people think I'm a Honda wannabe!
Old 09-25-04, 03:55 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default settings

Originally posted by OsideGs4
I just got my Jic's ..... I was wondering what is the "optimal" pre-load" setting ... one turn? ...3 turns? Mine did not come with any instructions and I bought mine directly from JIC
you'll need to try some settings and see how you like them. i started with 6 turns front and 4 back. i liked that but then i tried 4 front and 2 back and thought that was to soft. next i went back to 6 and 4, liked that, but to really check out all the different settings i thought i should try some stiffer settings. so i went 8 front and 6 back and i liked how the car cornered even better. so then i thought how about 10 front and 8 back. that is pretty stiff but really handles nice and that is where i've left them.

i read somewhere to have the front two turns stiffer than the back and i have no idea why or even if it matters. so far i have not experimented with that.

i've had my JIC's for a year now and love them. did yours come with any install instructions? mine did not but i heard manaray was working on making some. hope you enjoy them.

3dog
Old 10-02-04, 05:28 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review, PP. So informative.

I certainly don't want to have my car slammed, just lowered subtely like an inch, inch and half max. I will have 19" or 20" rims on my car...but I still want as good a ride as possible.

I definitely want to increase handling performance, but do not need cat-like agility, or go-kart like responses.

Question: The Teins seem to fit my profile fine, as it seems I can control ride height AND ride stiffness. Did I surmise this correctly about the Tein product?

And if you just buy an Eibach spring kit which lowers the car about an 1-1/4 inch, what do you lose in ride comfort, besides all the adjustability?
Old 10-18-04, 02:49 PM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

3dog........

I was actually talking about the preload ... not the dampening. Yeah ive had them for about 3 weeks now and i luv them ......I slammed it on 20"s ....... so i had to buy a fender roller ... wich should be here tomorrow!
Old 10-24-04, 12:48 AM
SexyAlexie
Rookie

i love my tein flex enuf said.

-alexis