Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

control arm question (again) - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 03:12 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default control arm question (again) - PLEASE HELP!

Hi everyone,

My car squeaks as it goes over bumps in the front. After searching, I'm inclined to believe that this is caused by worn bushings. Rather than go with the Vlamos replacement bushings, I've decided to just go ahead and get new control arms.

I have a few questions:

1) Is the squeaking caused by the bushings on the front lower control arm? Would it be necessary to change the front upper control arm as well, or could I get away with just replacing the front lower control arm with the Supra LCA?

2) From what I've read by searching, the LCA bushings tend to get worn on the front, while the upper control arm bushings are fine. Is this true?

3) When removing the control arms, does everything else come off too? Should I just go ahead and install shock/springs and do the Supra TT brake upgrade while I'm at it? About how many hours of labor should I expect to pay for at the local mechanic shop?

Unfortunately for my wallet, I'm really **** about my car so I don't want to take shortcuts. This is one of the reasons why I decided to get new control arms instead of getting new bushings on my old control arms. I figure down the line, I will have to change the control arms anyway.

Thanks everyone,
-Brian.
Old 02-23-04, 01:56 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 93sc400, the front lower ca's bushings are worn. Like you I'm going with the supratt control arms. Usually the front lower ca's go first, I would do those and maybe the rear lowers if possible. Also whatever other jobs you have, brakes, shocks, springs try to have done all at once because you'll need alignment after most of those jobs except brakes. Also do a search this has been discuss a lot.
Old 02-25-04, 06:07 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

the one question i can never find an answer to is whether or not supra upper control arms are a direct bolt on.... searched for days on out now... still no definate answer

i did find out however that the enter rear subframe from the supra swaps over

yes the squeaking is caused by LCA bushings.... LCA bushings wear out faster than uppers, your brakes don't come off to do this swap..... but if you're paying someone to do it... might as welll knock it all out at once... (make sure you have the right rims if you go with the supra TT upgrade)
Old 02-26-04, 12:17 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

I *think* the front lower and upper control arms both directly bolt onto the SC. I'm not absolutely positive, but I remember reading this somewhere. I guess I'll find out in two weeks.

The price between the SC upper control arm and the Supra upper control arm are about the same. I guess for that reason, most people just go with the Lexus part? From my standpoint, if I'm using Supra LCA, I might as use Supra UCA.

-Brian.