Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushings DIY ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 12:38 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushings DIY ??

Hey guys I would like to know if the Daizen bushings are a DIY project, I heard that you need a press to get em out and press em in but I have also heard of people doing it themselves. and on the Daizen website it says on one part number that you need a pree, but not the other numbers. Also struts and springs, is this a DIY project or not?
Need to know if I need to budget in labor when I buy these things ?
Thanks
Old 02-23-04, 04:20 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to gain insight read the whole thing.

I've done the front lowers so far. You'll need a few tools to get the job done. You'll need a floor jack w/jack stands, a torque wrench, a 22mm or maybe it was 19mm combination wrench (so you can use it with the floor jack to loosen up two bolts), a ball joint puller (I used a pitman arm puller), a ratchet with an array of sockets.

Above is basically what you need just to take out the control arms, let it be Daizen method, new control arm, or Vlamos. The extra tools for Daizen would be: Propane torch, drill bit wire brush connected to a power tool that rotates (looks like a gun), a vise helps to squeeze the bushings in. Now there's a new Daizen front bushing where it needs to be pressed; I'd have to say this is good is you want your mechanic to do the work. BTW, the rear control arms need to be pressed (I haven't done this but plan to very soon).

Total time for me: ~10 low difficulty hours (1-2 hours taking off control arm, 1-2 hours burning, 3 hours of sanding, 30 minutes taking pictures, 2 hours doing something inbetween, 1 hour happy test drive); ~1 hour tearing muscle fibers; ~ 1 hour improvizing
Total time for you should be way less, maybe 6 hours if you use the wire brush, a hotter flame, and a partner here and there. Budget at least two days, you never know what kinks you run into. There's quite a few people who've done this and posted insights and tips and pictures. I even posted some pictures in another thread. PM me if you want more pictures.

I had a few complications: A PITA to get all the rubber off. I never used a drill bit wire brush, so this tool should do the trick. You could use sandpaper but that'll take you a few hours just to get the control arm shiny.
Next problem was fitting one of the control arms back on. Reason: I installed the bushing into the control arm with a different procedure than the instructions provided. Solution(s): 1. Take bushing out of control arm and follow procedure. 2. Have a helper angle the control arm while you use the floor jack to shove the control arm into place.
Next problem was that my face was black. Solution: Wash face and wear oversized goggles; burn rubber downwind of me.

Struts and springs would seem to be easier, plus if you do the control arms, part of the strut assembly will be disconnected.

Last edited by Buttercup; 02-24-04 at 04:34 PM.